Aircraft Riddles

English Electric P17A.

Nope - you’re thinking in the wrong direction…

That leaves one other option, and a rare bird it is indeed, in fact, afaIk, only one remains, and that may not even have engines in place.

Bristol 188.

Was manufactured from stainless steel, and though officially a research test vehicle, it, or its’ subsequent descendants were intended to fulfill a similar role to the TSR2.

Kind Regards pdf27, Uyraell.

Nope. Looks like you need a hint - there was more than one TSR.2!

Which brings us to another research vehicle:

Fairey 92 (E, I think).

If so, That too is a rare bird.

You’re still barking up the wrong forest, let alone the wrong tree. You’ve correctly identified the second TSR-2. Now go away and figure out what the first one is - and that’s the answer to the riddle. As a further hint, in the one you are looking for, it does not stand for Tactical Strike & Reconnaissance.

I must be getting old and slow.

The only other TSR I can think of right now is “Torpedo Strike Reconnaiscance”
Which puts us looking at the Westland Wyvern, Or possibly the DH Sea Hornet in short range configuration.

If I’m wrong this time, then I cede you the point.

You’re getting there - it was “Torpedo Spotter Reconnaissance” - “Strike” in UK parlance has a specifically nuclear connotation.

I’m left with the venerable Fairey Swordfish. :smiley:

Very neatly done, pdf27. :slight_smile:

I’ll wait to see if I got it correct, this time.

Regarding “Strike”, it was my understanding that the nuclear connotation came to be employed only in the 1960’s, whereas during WW2 it was used to denote a rapid attack by torpedo-carrying aircraft. I admit, I may be in error about that, however.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

Correct - the Fairey Swordfish was indeed the TSR.2, and while there was presumably a TSR.1 I’ve never heard of it. Quite why this is less famous than that failed 1960s jet I’ll never know, particularly on a WW2 forum :wink:

From reading the Swordfish info, it appears the preceding prototype may have been the “TSR1”, or intended to be so.

This next birdy was very unusual, but yet flew surprisingly well, from accounts I have read.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.