Execution of civils in the East

Thanks Guys,
I thought I’d seen the photo before and remembered it was part of a series.
Yes and certainly some of the uniforms have an auxillary look. they were Lithuanians It said on one of the sites.

Nickdfresh.

There were certainly hostages taken in some areas and in the French zone the highest level of reprisals were threatened. I’m not saying they did but this poster says they would shoot civilians in a ratio of 50:1.

What do you mean she was an ethnical personality?

Joseph Schulz is stadily walking onward in the path of his ethical duty - a German officer who commanded the execution took this photo

This quiet, modest and incredibly brave man, whose personal destiny was part of every elementary school history book in former Yugoslavia, has demonstrated that in whatever arena of life one may meet the challenge of ethicality, whatever may be the sacrifices he faces if he follows his own conscience – the loss of his friends, his fortune, even his own life – each man must decide for himself the course he will follow. The stories of past morality can teach, they can offer a hope and they can provide inspiration. But they cannot supply morality itself. For that, each man has to look into his own soul.

This was incredible, mate. I 've never heard about him
Great man.
But what was a reason of his amazing deed? Just simple simphaty to the Yugoslavian partisans?They probably could kill him in battle , just like any other germans soldier they fought against.
I don’t see on photo the children and woman to be executed.
Or the real reason was deeper?

What do you mean she was an ethnical personality?

No, my dear Mr. Chevan: not ethnical but ethical – something based upon practices acceptable within certain humanistic ideals, correct, acceptable and sensitive behavior of a human being inside certain social group. :slight_smile:

This was incredible, mate. I 've never heard about him. Great man. But what was a reason of his amazing deed? Just simple simphaty to the Yugoslavian partisans?

Yes, my dear Mr. Chevan – he definitely represented an authentically honest human being. And as far as I know, the main reason for his brave accomplishment was his deep and completely sincere personal insight that his orders are not in congruence with the Articles 1. and 3. printed in every single Soldbuch issued to all German soldiers, namely with these utterly simple but essential regulations:

[i]1: The German soldier fights fairly to win victory for his people. Acts of cruelty and unnecessary destruction are unworthy of him.

3: No opponent who surrenders may be killed, not even irregulars or spies. These will be suitably punished by the courts.[/i]

You know, sometimes certain chaps really do believe in certain stupid philosophical postulates. Unfortunately, they are always representing some kind of a miserable and pathetic minority… :frowning:

FWIW, I have read several accounts of German soldiers (ORs = enlisted men rather than officers) refusing orders of an unacceptable nature with no consquences. I can’t recall references but I suspect they were on the Western front, which might explain a more tolerant attitude.

There are accounts in Beavor’s “Stalingrad” of many German soldiers actually laying down their weapons and joining the victims rather than shoot…

Yes, well. Unfortunately the French, as with the Soviets, were a bit more rough with the Germans. Something to do with formerly being the occupied…

I/m not sure this is true Nick.
The battle of Stalingrad was probably most cruel battle of the war. Plus the terrible frost.
no one side has reasons to be a human to their enemy.
I’ve read a story ( Alan Clarke, Barbarossa)when Germans executed POWs right near red Army trenches, specially to show the russians what fate is waiting for them.
Simular cruel relation to pows was in Red Army too i guess.
If even OWN had had no enough food- what was sense to capture the enemy pows?Or to save them life?

The book actually is more encompassing than the battle itself.

Beavor actually starts with the beginning of Operation Barbarossa…

I believe he was talking about massacres of Russian civilians behind German lines…

Well probably i know what are you talking about…
Actualy when i read the Stalingrad, on one page Beevour wrote that the Paulus refuse to interact with SS in “supporting the order” on the captured territories.He obviously didn’t wish to have something common with mass violence.I ve read he even order to withdrow some of SS units out of area of his responsibility.
This was also the REASON , why after the ending of war Paulus has not beed charged with war crimes in Stalingrad. The Soviets has nathing against him ( as against the Mainstain)

See the Librarians post #9. The same order by Keitel applied to the Eastern Front.

An example:
Letter sent home by Wehrmacht privat Fritz F. 13 November 1941:
In the beginning I was often inclined to think that it would be more practical to make a move towards understanding of the locals. But it makes no sense. A couple of days ago again three guards were killed. As the result almost all village inhabitants, nearly 300 people, were shot by the order of the field tribunal. It seems to be the only solution. Only by iron fist of cruelty can we gain anything here. Obviously many innosent should had been among the shot, but what can be done and what differnece does it make at all? The core of the issue is that fear of death is the only option where common sense fails.

God bless Joseph Schulz!
Also to be fair I should mention that Wehrmacht soldiers friequently gave food to the locals.
Though later in war it was specificly forbiden by the OKW.

And another thing is that Germany counted very much on the Ukrainian harvest 1941.
Germany expected to get 5,2 mil. tonns, but in reality the harvest was only 1 million tonns.
Out of that 1.000.000 tonns 900.000 were confiscated to feed Wehrmacht and the homeland.

I sorry these guys but they are partisans and in a war be partisan in civil clothes fight against uniform wearing soldiers,just the same be a terrorist.
Partisan is a shifty thing,just also terrorists

That is utter bollocks, and quite offensive too. There is in fact a very simple and clear difference between the two - Partisans carry their weapons openly and attack uniformed enemy combatants. Terrorists carry their weapons clandestinely and attack anyone. Hell, the Yugoslav Partisans even wore uniforms - calling them terrorists is downright ludicrous.

more cruel photo of execution of “terrorist”

This amateur photo was taken from killed german soldier during battle of Moscow (jenuary 1942).
This is the 18 years girl that was caught, treated with cruely and publically executed 29 november 1941 in one of village.
The body was hang over month!!!, germans forbid take it off. Prefer to demonstrate body as “anti-partican revenge”.
Beofr the NEw 1942 year the germans passed through village had undress her body off and disfigured it by daggers, even cut off one of brest

Before thier retreat from Moscow in jenuary 1942, German administration allowed to take body off and hury it.
Do somebody know this story?

I know her story from a book of mine, her name is Soja Kosmodemjanskaja (german spelling). For her detailed story, please look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoya_Kosmodemyanskaya

BTW, the board she’s wearing says: I am a fire starter.

You totaly right.
The plate around their neck calls her as fire starter.

I sorry these guys but they are partisans and in a war be partisan in civil clothes fight against uniform wearing soldiers,just the same be a terrorist.

The only problem with your stance, my dear Mr. Imi, is the inexorable legal fact that previously presented actions against completely non-combatant civilians represented a direct violation of the Hague CONVENTION RESPECTING THE LAWS AND CUSTOMS OF WAR ON LAND, entered into force on the 26th of January, 1910, namely its article Article 50, which straightforwardly declares:

No general penalty, pecuniary or otherwise, can be inflicted on the population on account of the acts of individuals for which it cannot be regarded as collectively responsible.

Do you have, by any chance, any legally acceptable and undeniable evidence that those casualties of the Wehrmacht in 1941 were consequences of the collective activity of the whole civilian population of Kragujevac, thus providing legally based accountability for those civilians? If you have, please – present those proofs to us here.

In the meantime, I will ask you for a simple favor. Please observe very carefully the subsequently presented snapshots. You will see one highly explicite scene which was connected with the execution of the unfortunate personality who - on the approach of the enemy forces – had spontaneously took up arms to resist the enemy troops without having time to organize herself in complete accordance with Article 1 of the Hague Convention, but nevertheless carried arms openly and otherwise completely respected the codified laws and customs of war.

Execution of the captured Partisan by decapitation – No.1

Execution of the captured Partisan by decapitation – No.2

After that, we will have a nice little academic chat about everyday significance of the Aristotelian as well as Christian ethics in war.

In the mantime, as always – all the best.

As i know my friend , usially Nazis explain it as the Partisan “never folowed the laws and castoms of war”.
Therefoer they all were are “War criminals” independently on - where they teenager who only feeded a wounded enemy pows or real partisans who attacks the Germans troops.

After that, we will have a nice little academic chat about everyday significance of the Aristotelian as well as Christian ethics in war.

Really they used the Middle-Age cruel decapitation in Yogoslavia?
I/m in shock.
BTW what this a Germans troops that commited that actiona?
Were it SS or other punitive units?
I heard some of soviet collaborationists like “Waffen-SS Galicia”, “Kossaken” took active participation in “Pacification of Yugoslavia”.
Do you know something about them?

Are these photo’s an execution by the troops of the Karsjager Division ? I know they were involved in some beheading incidents. Also you have got to be some sick MF to casually take snapshots of this.

To Mr.Librarian:The only problem is the partisans also not consider the Hague Convention when they stop a Red Cross train with full of injured soldier,sprinkled these unlucky peoples,and torch them.
And I speak about partisans,not civilians,and make military,or other actions(exactly:mix with civilians,that is specious) in civil suit,isn’t a straight thing,in a “official annuncation” war.
I convict the brutality,but a burned body isn’t look better,than a body without head.
I think this topic is go murder of civilians,and the partisan isn’t civilian.
Tough pictures