Falklands/Malvinas war pictorial. Post yours ¡¡¡.

Anothing interesting point in the bottom photo.

The white blob on the back of the guys helmet is his First Field Dressing. The Argentines took (for some reason) to taking them out of the packets and putting them on their helmets.

Quite why this practice, which rendered the FFDs un sterile and thus useless, was adopted and by who I don’t know.

Two possibilities spring to mind.

One, it was emulating what some Americans did in Vietnam with (unopened as far as I recall) field dressings, playing cards (ace of spades very popular), and sundry other items strapped to their helmets.

Two, if it was always strapped to the back of the helmet it might be an improvised identifier for troops behind for the wearer’s function or leadership.

Colonel Seineldin making a grave for a captured Union Jack. Nasty guy.

There was a raid by the SBS in which the very practice of wrapping the FFDs around the helmets.

The SBS were going to wear mine tape around their helmets to greet the incoming troops (the old mine tape was a 2in gauze, similar to medical gauze). On their CTR to their dismay they realised the OPFOR were wearing their FFD in exactly the same fashion!!!

Like I say, why this strange practice came in to effect I don’t know.

WRT to burying the Union Flag on the Falklands, not a problem. From it will grow a tree, from which a bountyful harvest of Union Flags can be gathered everyday a dawn!!! :smiley:

Is that the same guy who was imprisoned for crimes during the dirty war?

Bloody Hell LR, good spot.

from the wiki.

10th Motorised Infantry Brigade
Commander: Brigade General Oscar Joffre. Brigade home base: Buenos Aires Province

25th Regiment (RI 25), 9th Infantry Brigade (attach to 10th Brigade) — airmobile, East Falkland (†13)
Commander: Lieutenant-Colonel Mohamed A. Seineldin.

Some info on the “full stop” legislation

From http://www.abo.fi/instut/imr/research/seminars/ILA/Cerna.doc

Given the continued tension between the government and the military in December 1986, the Argentine Congress passed the first of what became known as the Argentine amnesty laws. The “Full Stop” Law (Punto Final- Law No. 23.492) imposed a 60-day deadline on the initiation of proceedings against those accused of crimes committed between 1976-1983 during the “dirty war.” The law was designed to put an end to the trials of military officers, but in fact, it had the opposite effect and the deadline accelerated the proceedings and almost 400 military officers were prosecuted.

In reaction, Major Ernest Barreiro decided not to appear in response to a court summons, and other military officers supported his rebellious attitude. On April 15, 1987, Lt. Col. Aldo Rico led an uprising of these insurgents who called themselves the “Carapintadas” (Painted Faces). They alleged that they were not trying to carry out a military coup but pressured the Government to stop the trials against the military. Argentine civil society responded with a huge rally against a possible new military coup. President Alfonsin, however, showed up personally at the School of Infantry in Campo de Mayo, where the military had barricaded itself, and negotiated with the rebel officers. As a result, the Argentine Congress passed the second of the amnesty laws, known as the “Due Obedience” Law (Obedencia Debida –Law No. 23.521). This Law was a variant of the defense of “superior orders” and granted immunity to all military officers acting under the orders of their superiors and below the rank of Colonel.

Apparently the officers threw a childish strop as they realised they were going to face the music, and they couldn’t dance.

Col Seineldin was banged up as late as 1990, and tried to start a coup from prison.

Is that the same guy who was imprisoned for crimes during the dirty war?

Nope, he try to make a coup in 3/12/1990 ( not from the prison), failed and was sentences to life imprisoment. Received a presidential pardon in 2004.

Argentine Air force personel captured.

Testing guns.

Aerospatiale Gazelle in action.

The LMG mags were favoured because they held 30 rounds instead of the usual 20 of the SLR mag.

However, they needed some modification as the springs were generaly not up to the task of pushing the 20 rounds up. On the LMG the mags were fitted to the top of the weapon, similar to a Bren.

Never seen tracer taped to the butt like that. It would take time to remove and load, probably by taking the mag off and putting the tracer in the top.

It is generally preferred to load a mag up with tracer, takeing off the ball mag and putting it on when needed.

Don’t recall the Gazelle being hampered by having only one engine or it’s lightweigth construction.

Sorry, 1000 yard, L4 magazines require no modification for use on the SLR: I’ve got one, I use it in competition, and I know several other people who do the same. No one who actually uses one that I know has ever modified them in any way.

The only way I can think of that this myth came about would be people “liberating” knackered ones in which the spring has become weak.

Also, in comparison with L2 magazines (the straight 30 round magazines that the colonials used in their SLR based support weapons), the springs in the L4 magazines are usually slightly stronger, in my experience. This is one thing which, when given the choice, I bought an L4 magazine in place of an L2

Some colonials used the L2 magazine in SLR’s in Vietnam, but its greater length could be a problem in situations where ground hugging while firing was critical.

Well…the Gazelle was definately vulnerable, two of these were shot down by the squad comanded by Benjamin Gomez-Centurion, (the guy in the right) in matter of minutes with combined FAL fire. This incident was already mentioned.

MG nest.

Argentine Army Chinnok.

Did he shoot them down with his gun, or just his megaphone? :smiley:

MG nest.

Silly photographs are taken for domestic propaganda purposes all the time, but that would have to be one of the all time worst MG positions in history.

Can you see why, Panzerknacker?

And it’s more than just one reason. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the absence of his No. 2.

And yet one more of Col Seineldin, this time as portrayed by Paul Hannon in the Osprey s Men-at-Arms 250th “Argentine Forces in the Falklands”.

Never knew that MofS, never used one myself, but you are right that most were cast offs from the Brens. Normally nicked from the armourers shop!!!

They did sit higher too, when on your belt buckle, but was handy.

What is the difference between the Gazelle and the Scout? Both have one engine, both similar size.

A helicopter can be brought down few shots no matter how big or how many engines they have.

The magazine of the LMG version of the BREN was designed to be compatible with the emergency use of SLR magazines. Hence, the LMG magazine will also usually fit the SLR. However, it was by no means all SLR that would accept them, some had feed problems.

Silly photographs are taken for domestic propaganda purposes all the time, but that would have to be one of the all time worst MG positions in history

So …what ?

Propaganda is an integral part of any war, and the 1982 war wasnt the exception.

First Sargeant Jacinto Batista Tactical diver unit

J.B also have his color plate in MAA 250.:rolleyes:

Batista? Didn’t he become a wrestler?:shock::wink:

Sorry guys I couldn’t resist a little joke. Fascinating thread and thanks to you all.

Regards digger

And back to the propaganda/geneva convention of protection of pows again!!!

Oh, well. They may have been taken prisonner, but these same men came back down as part of 42 Cdo (a Coy of 42 was sent to reclaim South Georgia and never got to the Falklands) a sorted things out on a more level playing field.

ie not a whole Army versus a understrength company :smiley:

Those pictures of Royal Marines lying on the ground as prisoners, were an excellent piece of propaganda. When the British public saw those pictures of their ‘boys’ being splashed accross the newspapers, being treated that way - the war was on, and they were up for it.