Hitler's Biggest Mistake?

Indeed, a reason why Germany lost the war is because they didn’t take advantage of women. America allowed women to work in factories so the men that would normally work there would be able to fight. If the Germans did this, they would have had many more men on the front.

Try telling that to all the women who have been in action in Iraq.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties.htm

You need to scan the months to find tem though, Im not doing all the leg work here :smiley:

Hitler in true Dictator fashion failed to understand the art of deligation. His job as Leader was to ensure his Generals did their job not try to do it for them, he was after all only an NCO in WW1. By engendering both a fear of failure and retribution in his commanders he in effect developed a yes man culture and became blinded to his own inadaquecy as a military commander.
In simple terms he was poor workman who blamed his tools rather than his lack of ability to utilise them

Nice use of comparison at the end. Very nicely done and thought out too. Yeah, I agree that Hitler was totally inadaquet as a military commander. The only real talent he had that got him up to the top was his speech making abilities which flared up the crowd’s emotions. Had Hitler not interfered with strategy making and left it up to his commanders, World War II in Europe would have gone on a lot longer than 1945.

“Declaring war on the U.S.S.R.”

you need to have an ASS instead of head for doing that!

For me it’s invading Poland. Up until the 1 Sept '39 he had achieved some incredible victories without a shot being fired. Once he’d invaded Poland he set in motion a chain of events which i think was always going to lead to Germany’s defeat in the end.

As to Largebrew’s point, it’s worth looking at the reasons as to why Hitler ended up trying to micro-manage the military, he became the victim of his own success. It’s hardly surprising, he, a lowly corporal in the first world war achieved more in campaigns lasting a matter of weeks than what the ‘great’ general staff could manage over 4 years, and with only a fraction of the casualties. There were also a good many voices in the general staff of 1939\40 trying to tell him that invading France was a bad decision, yet during the first 2 years of the war the German army swept all before them and Hitler believed it was down to his intuition.

I think declaring war on the US was a very big mistake. Coz really Hitler didnt need to. Japan did not agree to attack Russia from the east. If this had been the agreement than it would have been mutally efficent. Once the Russians knew they could decrease their forces in the east they we quickly transfered to the west to help combat the Germans. Germany declaring war on the US did nothing but bring an extra enemy against them.

the US would have declared war on germany anyway, the US wouldnt sit by and watch europe become a huge nazi germany state.

Only because the UK remained. If they had not it would not have been wise to attempt a war with Germany. Its hard to say…but I think the American would have waited for Germany to fuck up to make a legitimate claim for the war with Germany. Remember most American looked at it as a European problem.

so really, you are voting for hitlers two big mistakes as: not taking britian out early in the war, and declaring war on the US?

i still have to believe that while hitler was in the process of taking over britian, the US would declare war on Germany. they wouldnt sit by and watch Britian get conquered, then realize that they should be fighting but it was too late.

remember folks, politics are without morals. its just a matter of doing what you can to stay in power :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

hosie,follow that,and maybe you get in the us government as a republican! :lol: .

there are also politics with moral,but they are a minority :slight_smile:

Germany made the biggest mistake attacking the Soviet Union and since the Japanese attacked the U.S.A then it was inevitable that the USA would declare war on the Axis which ment Germany aswell, so it was only a matter of time when hitler faced going to war with the USA aswell.

I wouldn’t say there was one single mistake that Hitler made, though I voted declaring war on America, but several. For instance, they attacked Russia yeah, but could have conquered it by taking the oil fields. Or declaring war on the USA for no real reason, the only reason Hitler declared war on the US, was not because of the Tripartite Pact, but because they wanted to say, Germany is the world’s overlord, no one will mess with us. They could have just as well have said, hey, screw you Tojo, you’re the idiot that attacked the sleeping giant, not us.

I’m quite suprised no one has mentioned this yet, but it might because it wasn’t listed as a choice in the polls. In my eyes I view the Battle of Dunkerque as Hitler’s biggest mistake of the war. He put far too much trust in Goering’s words. Had Guderian and the other Generals present been allowed to storm the beaches and capture the mass of the evacuating troops of the BEF and French military, conditions would have been quite ideal for peace talks to resume since the bulk of the British Army would be in German hands. I view that as Hitler’s first and costliest mistake. For it led to an ideal platform for the countless raids over German-occupied Europe which led to the deaths of thousands of civilians and troops.

Past that another costly mistake was Hitler’s pulling back, I believe, Army Group Centre or parts of it on the Eastern Front to take care of some small pockets of Soviet resistance in their Southern sector which could’ve been dealt with after occupation of the Soviet capital had been gained. Hitler, though realized his misjudgement and sent the troops back towards Moscow again, but it was too late. The effects had already set in and slowly Germany began to run into defeat.

i think it all start when japan tries to attack US, they are going to lose no matter what hitler choose.
i think during that time, american are trying to aviod war with borth german and japan, its obviously not a country’s best interest to lost soldiers on some war that has nothing to do with the country. Japan should try to work out a deal with the american stating japanese would not try to invade american and its allies, in exchange, British and its commonwealth country would have to sell japan the oil japan desperately needs in the war of china. Just imagine how fast china would be defeated with 80% of its navy and air force concentrade on chinese operation.

I know talking about Japan is a bit off-topic. But, in reality the US pushed Japan into action. It would be niaive to say that the US didnt expect any Japanese aggression. Even sending the fleet to pearl was a bit of a dare? Im not subscibing to any conspiracy theories here, but the US was definately putting great pressure on Japan in 1940-41 as the US wanted Japan out of China.

Peace with Britain - wasn’t that pretty much the motive behind Hitler’s actions (stop the push)? He admired England, even told privately (to Galland for example) that England was 100 years ahead of them.

With gentle dealing of british troops he wanted to smooth things out for peace talks.

I also believe, and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, that behind his logic was grand strategy: Germany was very powerful mainland nation, Britain very powerful naval nation. If Hitler had any desire to alter the power balance of the world - he desperately needed ally with strong naval forces.

I cannot see the attack to Soviet Union as a error - in long term german strategic point of view. As centuries have proven, there are too many people in too small area in Germany. There is not enough food. And to buy food, Germany needs something to sell, and as they do not have raw materials, the only possible solution is high level production - which requires raw materials.

Germany is a nation with two weakness - lack of food, lack of raw materials. To be genuinely strong world power one has to be self-sufficient. Only mainland place to get required raw materials - Soviet Union.

Hitler wanted to make strong Germany. This was the problem he had to solve.

There of course was one tiiiiny problem - Germany didn’t have broad border with Soviet Union - pretty much a must for blitzkrieg tactics. But that was easily “corrected” by walking over Poland - which caused a little twist - as France was getting in a way…

… And so on.

There is a school of thought that says Hitler’s biggest mistake was invading Poland. If he’d stopped at Czechoslovakia, he may well have been remembered as the great statesman who united the German people and returned Germany to the world stage as a major power.

My vote went to “Not properly preparing Germany for the war ahead”.

Considering german politics and actions war was very likely to begin.

Germany had capacity to produce over 22,000 armored fighting vehicles per year, and they only produced 1,300.

So much aggressive propaganda talks, and they barely produced couple of sticks to wage war. :smiley: