Requesting information on a plane

B&W photos do not render colours accurately or consistently in greyscale.

I’m rusty on this as it’s a good 20 plus years since I was doing B&W photography and darkroom work off and on during the preceding 20 or so years, but Tankgeezer’s last post accurately described the impossibility of working out colours from a B&W photo.

The problem is that different colours can appear exactly the same in greyscale as B&W photography, as indeed is colour photography, is based on the light reflected from the subject. Dark green and dark blue and sundry other colours can appear at the same point in greyscale. Or the same colours could appear lighter in direct sunlight and darker in shadow.

It is impossible to know what colours are in a B&W photo without knowing what colours were present.

Even then, you would need to know whether colour filters were used as they change the rendition of colour in B&W, as in Using coloured filters with black & white film | ePHOTOzine You might also need to know what film was used as different B&W films rendered various colours differently.

B&W photographers in the WWII era knew their craft in ways that began to be lost from the 1960s as colour took over. The colour photos you’ve used in the Pacific might have had filters used to compensate for the bright sunlight and sky background which would tend to wash out the main subject in the foreground.

I’d like to post a colour photo and a B&W of the same scene to illustrate the difference but it would be rare to find one. Digital conversions of colour to B&W are meaningless as they do not represent the image captured on B&W film. Colour photos can be rendered differently depending upon the brand, developing process used, and filters used when the photo was taken, which in turn will introduce more variables as film technology changed.

Please note that none of the above bears on what colour the planes were or your knowledge of those issues. All I am saying is that it is impossible to use B&W photos to support or disprove an argument about what the original colours were in the photo. The best they can do is confirm that there are differences in dark or light colours and gradations on the grey scale.

Colour still photography in WWII, and for many years afterwards, was based on motion picture colour film as it was essentially the same film, just in much shorter lengths for still film. It’s why 35mm became the standard film instead of 120 and sundry other sizes.

I think the Germans produced a lot more colour images, which I have some vague recollection was somehow related to the availability or utility of the Agfa process, for their publications than did the Alliies.

I have an even vaguer recollection that there was an issue with Agfa film in that it produced a ?greenish? cast in prints.

Well, what you say about photography, especially of the B&W variety is true. I still to this day go to the effort to obtain 35mm B&W film and shot through my trusty AE-1. Sometimes even run through a roll or two of color for special events, but on the whole I prefer to shoot in B&W. Development can be interesting . . . B&W no problem . . . and I’ve a buddy who will do the color for me. In short, I am well aware of the limitations of B&W film . . . and its compositional, dare I say, artistic, advantages. I need no lecture on photography, but your explanations are probably helpful for the un-indoctrinated, thanks for the commentary. Odd, though, that you should mention Agfa . . . some 40 years ago when I was going through a “. . .everything must be in color - beautiful colors . . .” phase, Agfa was my film of choice for true color presentation . . . guess they must have fixed the problem of the earlier times.

The point to my little demonstration was to show, first, the actual colors, then, second, how those appear colors appear in B&W. A very simple and enlightening demonstration, and presents the obvious differences in the two paint schemes. As was pointed out: “ . . none of the above bears on what colour the planes were or your knowledge of those issues . . .” Knowledge, as they say, is power.

For those of us, such as myself, who spent their entire childhoods surrounded by US naval aviation and half their childhoods actually living on naval air stations (An aside, the year I went off to my freshman year at that obscure military college in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, was, coincidently, my father’s last year of commissioned service, his 33rd. 31½ of those years he wore the wings of a naval aviator, commissioned in June 1938 and winged in December 1940. That last year, home, when on leave, was quarters at Breezy Point, on the Norfolk Naval Air Station, right behind the Breezy Point BOQ, with a unobstructed view of planes coming and going from New Chambers Field and not all that far from those old, but no longer used, seaplane ramps. This was the third time with actual quarters on this station in my then youthful 18 years. I well remember from earlier year’s the row on rows of the PBM’s direct descendant, the Martin P5M lined on that seaplane ramp or bobbing at anchor in nearby Willoughby Bay, but they all went away in the late 1950s.) For those of us who grew up living on naval air stations, paying attention, watching these comings and goings, able to identify an aircraft by sound without looking; for those of us who have maintained an abiding interest in the historical aspects of US naval aviation, lo, for more than, say, 55 cognizant years, that is, since maybe 5 or 6 years old; for those of us, however few, who may fall into that description, a B&W photo of a WW2 era USN aircraft is not at all hard to decipher. Some don’t get that . . . not particularly my problem except their challenges are more than somewhat . . . ahhh . . . weak when unsupported by practical experience. The USN spelled out in great laborious detail how aircraft were to be painted . . . this was not a case of commander’s discretion, this was effectively “. . . this is how you are going to do it (period)” The historic record in both color and B&W photographs only serves to reinforce the concept that these paint schemes were thoroughly implemented across the service.

Those of us familiar with these and their follow on paint schemes through repeated exposures can recognize them at a glance. I daresay, looking at a given photograph, that I would not mistake a Pacific theater paint scheme for an Atlantic theater paint scheme, even in B&W, as the difference between the two, for me, is glaringly stark. Someone without that exposure might want to bob and weave about cameras, film, and lighting, but no, to the practiced eye, and I assure all both of mine are so practiced; it is but child’s play to tell the difference.

Here is a case of someone making an incorrect aircraft identification (and how one could confuse a PBY for a PBM I can’t fathom unless it is another one of those exposure things), somewhat explaining that away, and then making an incorrect locale identification or guess with no evidence at all, indeed, flying in the face of evidence to the contrary already offered and apparently through a process of disregarding of the evidence for wishful wanting. Simply digging the hole deeper. When his error in locale is explained, he goes off on photography, lighting and angles.

Where I’m from, when one finds oneself in a hole which is getting deeper, the best thing to do is stop digging.

I believe the demonstration provided clearly shows the effects of lighting and angle on the paint schemes in question. If one is at all reasonably conversant in the subject, one would draw the same conclusions as did I; if one is not so reasonably conversant, then one is forgiven, but uninformed, nay, wishful, speculation does not do much for identification. I am sure the correspondent in question has his own areas of expertise to which I would surely and willingly defer due to my lack of knowledge in the same. This, however, since US naval aviation in WW2 is just about the only historic field in which I have maintained an avid interest - any other fields, despite a degree in history, being but of idle curiosity, is not one of those cases. So, knowing, through both regulation and practical demonstration what the actual colors schemes were, all one need do is compare the photo way back in the original post to the B&W version at Guantanamo Bay NAS in the Atlantic scheme and to that last B&W version of the Pacific scheme. Is it really, really, that hard to tell the difference? No generalities, no photography theory, just a side by side comparison . . . it is night and day.

Take it or leave it.

Thank you for bowing to my knowledge, I can assure you there is no need. “Practises”, you say are directives from the USN Bureau of Aeronautics. can you show me where these directives are stated, IE, LoC or ACI, these are of cause British Directives, but then, there is no need to explain this to you, with your superior knowledge.

Thank you again for remarking on my knowledge, yet again. I assure you there is no need, you can see blue in the photo, you imagination, must me an inspiration to others, as, there as have been no mention of the word blue, apart from you.

I would say that you should hold your breath, then when your face goes blue, not navy blue, a light blue, then start breathing again.

Ta Ta, as for colour photography, I was just settling down to watch a film, Wizard of Oz:lol:, I thought I would let you bite on that one:army:.

I stated, that I liked him, not loved him, or conformity.