Stalingrad

Is this movie in English? Or is it subtitled? I had heard it was not in English but I did want to see it.

well, i watched it in a friends house, the movie is in another language, but we have the option to listen to English instead. so obviously we choose that option.

awesome movie just simply because its seen from a german view

It’s not the greatest movie I’ve seen but it’s one of the best and realistic WWII movies I’ve seen.

No special effects giving you a Star Wars feeling, no heroism making you searching for Tom Cruise…no, a dirty, negative look at a dirty thing called War…

Would it been better with a larger budget? Not necessarily.
Would it been better with real moviestars in it? Not at all!

This one should be in your collection!

The ending was an actually remake of a photo of the end of the Battle of Stalingrad found in some history’s of the Battle of Stalingrad.

I am guessing they figured if you had an interest in the subject matter you had some previous knowledge of the subject and the battle.

When you see the actual photo you can only guess what the snow is covering, in the movie they gave us an idea of what was laying under that snow drift.

That stock pile of food and drink they stumbled on to was true too. There are always good officers and bad ones. Some bad selfish officers had stock piled this for themselves.

In the meantime some of the populace began eating human flesh it had gotten so bad. It was not suppose to happen, but it was a very bad time to be hungry and no worse place to be hungry.

Collection of photos from LIFE magasin about Stalingrad in 1947.

In the middle few shotы of German POWs working on the city’s reconstruction.

Thread moved from Archive…

Liked this movie fine. Between this and Das Boot one gets a fair, if brief, German point of view of the sharp end. If I have less patience, I’ll watch Cross of Iron but usually I’ll watch them both just to contrast the American and German film styles.

Hmmn , i haven’t seen yet this movie by will definitelly search it to watch in russian.Seems worthwhile to watch for me.
The short review of the film is quite frank
http://www.allmovie.com/work/149022

Plot Synopsis by Clarke Fountain
This German battlefield drama, released on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the climactic 1943 defeat of the Nazi forces at Stalingrad in Russia, does not paint a pretty picture either of war itself or of the Germans fighting in that war. Out of hundreds of thousands of previously victorious German soldiers who took part in this most crucial battle of WWII, a mere six thousand ruined men survived. Today, the word “Stalingrad” is used by Germans to signify any particularly ruinous reversal or defeat. In the story, the lives of several German soldiers are followed as they are transformed from arrogant and victorious killers into demoralized cowards who will do anything at all in order to survive, usually without success. Due to a political climate of resurgent sympathy for the fascists at the time this film was made, is was particularly important to the filmmakers to show the soldiers as lacking any shred of military dignity or real courage. Thus, though this big budget, well-made film did well in Germany, its lack of any truly sympathetic characters made it less popular elsewhere.

the movie is good , not excellent but good to watch if you want to see different point other than the ordinary movies we see these days showing the germans only in dark way .

Got news for you guys, if I had been in Stalingrad, knowing what horrible things the Einsatzgruppen were doing, and knowing what the Russians would do to them if/when captured, yea I’d freek out to and drop all pretense of military precision.

Must have been quite a nightmare for those trapped in that city. A well deserved nightmare, but still a nightmare.

“For as you roll a stone, so shall it be rolled back to you.” That is, what goes around… comes around.

Egorka, ever wonder what happend to that German in the picture? We do know that of the 91,000 Germans taken prisoner, by '55 only 5000 made it back. The remainder of the POWs died in Soviet captivity.

Now compare that to the U.S. POWs in either German or Japanese hands.

Deaf

I heard the death-rate among American pow in Japane were 30% during a war.During the only Battan Death March- within week died rougtly 15 000. Keep in mind the prisoners went in jungles in april , not in frost -35C. That’s all is however is tiny compared to death rate of Russian pows( almost 60%) in GErmans camps for 1941-45.
As for stalingrad the all of German POWs were almost dead in jenurary 1943. Most of them died couple of months later.The poor frozen walking sick sceletons - they were.
And The 6-army POWs didn’t go back in 1955, the most of survived GErmans Pows ( about 2 millions) were returned back in 1949. In 1953-55 the last group , nearly 10 000 were sent back in germany.

I just want to add to Chevan’s words that of those app. 91.000 German POWs captured in Stalingrad, at least half died shortly (IIRC within 2 months) after capture.
Their health conditions at the moment of capture affected hugely their chances for survival. Including those who died later too - many of them had their health damadged permanently.
Obviously Soviets might have done a bit better in accomodating them, there were numerous reasons preventing that, ranging from lack of possibilities to deliberate niglegence.

P.S: The fait of that particular POW: this photo was taken in April 1947, so knowing that, statisticaly speaking he had most likely survived and was repatriated before the end of 1949.

P.P.S: Maybe I was a bit too optimistic. There was a famin in 1946 a 1947 with increased the Soviet mortality rate by 1,5 times. It also affected POWs mortality rate. IIRC their rations were cut at that time. So statisticaly he still likely had survived.

Getting back to the original question: I own a copy of “Stalingrad” myself and consider it a pretty good effort overall. It seems like an allegory for the whole German experience in WWII.

Full of enthusiasm, the German soldiers embark on their new “adventure” only to experience the first of many misgivings as they take in the sheer enormity of the country they are invading and the mission they hope to accomplish. The actual fighting proves more brutal than anything they might have imagined, and their “Leadership” is eventually revealed as incompetant, deranged, or both. Everyone is finally trapped in a no-win situation as hope dies (or is murdered) in front of them. The final scene in which two gallant survivors freeze to death in a snowstorm is one of the most powerful “endings” I have seen in any war movie.

Very well said , i completely agree with your opinion :slight_smile:

Didn’t seen the whole movie yet but I saw some of it’s clips. What I watched is the Germans waiting for the t-34s to come at the outskirts of Stalingrad. :smiley:

Thank you for information.

Stalingrad is a great movie!

It is a good film, sadly in UK we can only get a very badly dubbed version, personally i’d rather see it in Deutsch with English subtitles.

I own the film and like it very much. It’s very rare for me to see a film about the war that is not from the allies’ perspective so it makes “Stalingrad” that much more unique. The ending was very powerful to me, and it did a very good job portraying the hopelessness and futility of the situation. The main characters also did a great job trying to portray what I would think are ordinary, decent soldiers reacting to the conditions and environment they’re exposed to right up until the tragic end. A great film, but a depressing one as well.