Which branch of service would you join?

Only one choice for me, Marines! Because it is a family tradition! I have a son and a uncle in the Corp. Semper Fi!

I would join the Navy and hope for a battleship, or maybe a carrier. I will tell you a little story as to why I joined the Navy in August of 1965. In the Spring of that year I had graduated from technical school, my deferment was up and I got my draft notice to report to Fort Jackson, S.C. and I think it said sometime in September. (It has been a long time) But, I wanted the Marines, I even went down and talked to the Marine recuter in Allentown, Pa. I do faintly remember what he looked like. But, my dad had other ideas. He had been in the Army, tank destroyers and was a captain in the 29th Infantry Division. He was in from 1941 to 1945. He said, " there is a big bloody war shaping up in Vietnam, and I don’t want you over in that jungle." He said to stick around and enjoy the summer and give the Navy or Air Force some thought. I suppose I still could have wound up on a PBR on the rivers of Vietnam with the Navy, but I didn’t. I was their only child. So, if I would join the Navy before my time came to report to Fort Jackson, I could avoid the Army. On August 26, 1965 I joined the Navy, for four years, of course. There is only one regret, that I did not stay in the reserves for 16 more years.

I would join the Navy (again) and hope for a battleship or carrier. Good chow!

Sapper

After all when I joined in 1983 a lot of our kit was pretty much WW2 designs or manufactured during the war - so would be a home from home for me

Good point RS.
As for me , if i have had a real choise in 1941 ( but most of conscrips had not) i would not joint to any of sort of army unit- i better will sit at home and wait for the Germans - just like most of adequate peoples would like to do. Beeing pretty tied from that another one nasty Kremlin’s regime, inspired of racial inferiour Marx.
Coz don’t think the German occupation would be worse than the current putin’s occupation for ordinary people! And for the Europe

He he he. Halliberton?! It was then alreay. I didn’t knew. I thought it appers only in Iraq

Did you still have 37 Pattern webbing in 1983? We were still using it, at least for our soldiers in Australia as distinct from those on active service in Vietnam, in the early 1970s and that’s what I was issued then.

My recollection of the British Falklands War gear was that it was something much different to 37 Pattern.