1982-2006, Chronology of the South Atlantic War, day by day

I drop by from time to time eagle, when not away working.

I will withhold fire ref the Invincible story but only because you are doing such a fine job with the thread.

I pay attention to this room well despite the fact
i am not from Argentina or the UK. I do appreciate the effort and the attention to detail by Eagle. I do vividly remember watching this War on CNN…

I note that nothing is recorded for the 10/11 of May, yet at around midnight HMS Alacrity sank by gunfire an Argentinian supply ship - the only surface action in the conflict.

This is the best account I have found so far:

“On 10 May Commander Chris Craig, Captain of HMS Alacrity was ordered to sail up Falkland Sound from south to north and carry out important reconnaissance at the same time. It was not yet certain where the British landings would take place, but the fact that the area along the coast of Falkland Sound was being considered could not have escaped anyone’s attention. In the afternoon she reconnoitred the south coasts of East and West Falkland with help from her Lynx. Just before midnight she entered the southern straits of the sound, her approach masked by the weather as the area was covered in low cloud, mist and rain. The Lynx was launched again, despite the appaling flying conditions, to reconnoitre Fox Bay and act as a diversion to take Argentine attention away from the ship. Soon after this reconnaissance HMS Alacrity detected a moving radar contact further up the sound. She fired a star shell to try and identify the contact visually, but this was not possible in the dreadful weather. Alacrity opened fire with air-burst rounds so not to cause the contact much damage, even though it was unlikely to be a British or neutral vessel considering the location. The contact was seen to be fleeing for cover toward the shore, so high explosive shells were fired and the contact was destroyed. The mystery vessel turned out to be the Argentine naval transport Isla de los Estados, which at the time was carrying 325,000 gallons of aviation fuel and military vehicles. This was the only action to take place between surface ships during the whole of the conflict. HMS Alacrity carried on up the sound without further incident and was met by sister ship HMS Arrow at the northern end. Both ships then returned to the main fleet.”

I would like to know more about this, specifically at what ranges the gunfire started and stopped, how many airburst and how many HE shells were fired, and how many of the HE shells hit the target. Can anyone help?

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

This is a very interesting tale that I too would like to know more about. Having been there myself I am always interested in this subject.

I have received some information from another source, as follows:

"Target initially detected at a range of 5 miles, bearing 079 on A scope and allocated track number 0305.

At 0107 Alacrity illuminates track 0305 at a range of 4.8 miles with a single starshell. Nothing seen. The order was then given to take track 0305, VT Fuze low. 15 rounds fired in groups of 5.

Target seen on radar to be zigzagging. Order then given to engage track 0305, DA. 15 rounds fired in DA mode in groups of 5. Target seen to explode. Check fire called. As the target was not visually acquired, it was not possible to verify the precise number of hits scored."

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

Interesting account from your perspective Eagle. For the record, Moody Brook was attacked with zeal, but as you point out the attack was obvious and so N.P.8901 troops (42 men approx) were “out for the night”. The men wanted to take their “flap bergens” and head for the hills, as they say, but were overruled. The special forces in the house really let the side down by hiding unable too decide on anything.
Several of my 2oppos2 were in N.P. 8901 and we swapped notes on the conclusion of the war.
N.B. Phew!! you really had some extremely courageous and able pilots

If there are any former members of 45 Commando Group here, then please note there is a reunion (wha…!! 25 years???) next year. Check out http://www.geocities.com/rm45cdo82/ for details.:smiley:

Er… just trying to get to grips with using this site panzer…sorry I replied to Eagles’ post via your post!!

Greeting from Argentina, i love the site and i know a little bit about wars…specially the Falkland/Malvinas War of the '82
Well i hope to post more often

see you guys!

Esperemos que participes con mas frecuencia :slight_smile:

sorry I replied to Eagles’ post via your post!!

No problem.