Airborne units of WW2

Crete - they never jumped into action again after it.[/quote]
Although they were in action on land in multiple places. I believe in Normandy when counter-attacking the beachhead they were told “parachutists only need knives” when supplies and support were very late coming through. I don’t recall their reply, but it is unlikely to have been polite…[/quote]

Some of them also fought in Italy IIRC, although apparently they left a lot to be desired, with many of them being Luftwaffe ground crew who’d been issued a para helmet.

Most of the losses on Crete were due to the fact the Germans couldn’t jump with more than a pistol and a few grenades. They had to find the containers that held their weapons and stores.

It was during these crucial minutes of locating the containers that the main damage was done, in terms of reducing their fighting capabilities to practically zero.

Allied techniques were different.

Crete - they never jumped into action again after it.[/quote]

There were Battalion sized drops in Yugoslavia, Russia and the assault on Leros as well, never a Divisional sized Op again though.

http://www.eagle19.freeserve.co.uk/leros.htm

Actually, I don’t think Kreta was a failure. They took the island, and the loss rate favored the germans immensely.

What makes you think that?

The British and Commonwealth forces lost 3,579 KIA and 1,900 WIA. There were 12,254 taken prisoner. This gives a total of 17,733 casualties/prisoners for the UK/Commonwealth, plus 5,225 Greeks taken prisoner.

The Germans officially admitted losing 1,971 KIA and 2,954 WIA, as well as 1,888 MIA during the battle, however these figures are not belived to be true as there are over 4,500 graves at the German cemetary at Maleme alone. Allied estimates put the figures at 4,900 KIA, 11,200 WIA and 1,888 MIA, giving a total of 16,100 casualties.

Given that both sides were fairly evenly matched at the start of the battle (43,000 Allied, 45,000 German), the casulaty figures are not that far apart at all, especially if POWs are not taken into account.

All figures taken from Wikipedia

What makes you think that?

The British and Commonwealth forces lost 3,579 KIA and 1,900 WIA. There were 12,254 taken prisoner. This gives a total of 17,733 casualties/prisoners for the UK/Commonwealth, plus 5,225 Greeks taken prisoner.

The Germans officially admitted losing 1,971 KIA and 2,954 WIA, as well as 1,888 MIA during the battle, however these figures are not belived to be true as there are over 4,500 graves at the German cemetary at Maleme alone. Allied estimates put the figures at 4,900 KIA, 11,200 WIA and 1,888 MIA, giving a total of 16,100 casualties.

Given that both sides were fairly evenly matched at the start of the battle (43,000 Allied, 45,000 German), the casulaty figures are not that far apart at all, especially if POWs are not taken into account.

All figures taken from Wikipedia[/quote]

Wikipedia has the wrong information. My book on Kreta gives 22,000 germans vs. 45,000 UK./commonwealth.

only 2 german divisiions took part at krete.
The 7th fliegar division parachuted and glided 12,000 troops on krete. The remainder 10,000 germans made up of the 5th mountain division.

the fallschirmjagers of 7th fliegar suffered roughly 6,000 causalties, a loss rate of 50%. your “allied estimate” from wikipedia is definitely wrong or a gross misestimate.

the allies, greeks lost roughly 24,000 men in this operation. also, 5,000 krete militia were lost.

Does anyone think that Goering oppoed the idea of sending troops via parachuting. suggestion only. DO NOT GO OFF AT ME!

Goering was probably more likely to be for it.

I don’t know for sure, so will scout about.

But he loved anything that made HIS luftwaffe more important.

He also claimed that he would be able to resupply German troops from the air, he failed spectaculary!!!