Antitank Hand grenades and incendiary devices.

Nice, Panzerknacker. This may be a little off-topic, but since we are on the subject of AT weapons, did the German Panzerfaust (Any MM) have a sling?

Some had it… Do you want a Panzerfaust topic ?

No problemo.

You can see the HHL-3 in this video at 0:05 and from 3:08 to 3:54. Shows how they used in just like decribed in those articles. Also if im not mistaken at around 4:02 you can see that stick grenade with abunch tied to it. i personally liked the video.

Sound good, but the link to the vid is not visible :rolleyes:

wow im not retarded forgot to post the video sorry here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWI0uTj9rM&mode=related&search=

yeah, the movie STALINGRAD (D, 1992). not the badest movie at all, but it has some lenghts, what is difficult to tell when you see these scenes. the battle with the tanks seen here and the fighting in the factory-plant are pretty good, the rest is a bit boring sometimes. :roll:

btw: someone recognized my sig.? :slight_smile:

I watched it in the cinema in 1992 with my grandfather who werved on the eastern front. he was quite impressed with that motion picture.

jens

Nice video ¡¡

I recognice your signature just seconds after your fisrt post my dear incendiary friend :rolleyes:

The daisyflower looking grenade is the Geballte ladung:

Handgranate
Handgrenades are often used against tanks, usually not due to any special AT capability of these weapons but because of their availability. Although a regular handgrenade could not kill a healthy full-grown tank it might damage it esp. immobilize it with a lucky explosion in the track. But there were also special AT handgrenades dedicated to fight armor.

The most famous german hand grenade is probably the Stielhandgranate 24 (“stick hand grenade”), often referred to as the stick grenade or the potato masher by allied soldiers. The grenade’s time fuse was activated by unscrewing the bottom and pulling the Abreisszünder (“rip detonator”) safety cord (see picture at right). It weighed 480g, had an overall length of 35.6cm and had a warhead with a length of 7.5 cm and a diameter of 6cm that contained 165g of explosives (different explosives were used over the course of the war).

The cylindrical warhead was also available as a hand grenade without the stick under the designation Handgranate 43. This cylindrical warhead could be used for other purposes:
combined with a pressure-activated trigger they served as mines.
Several Handgranate 43 warheads could also be combined with a Stielhandgranate to make a large explosive grenade bundle.

This combination of one Stielhandgranate 24 with 6 of the same warheads without the stick was very popular and often referred to as the “Geballte Ladung” (“forceful/big charge”)

by the troops although this designation is rather colloquial and was actually semi-officially in use for an engineer weapon. The complete weapon combination looked like a flower with the grenade stick of the central Stielhandgranate as the stalk and the Hd.Gr.43 warheads surrounding it like petals (see sketch at right). It was often used as an improvised makeshift AT weapon.

once i realized i forgot to post the video, it took me forever to find it again. i didnt know what it was called. I always wanted to watch the movie stalingrad, its always rented in the local rogers video.

This combination of one Stielhandgranate 24 with 6 of the same warheads without the stick was very popular and often referred to as the “Geballte Ladung” (“forceful/big charge”)

Would this be the set that was used in the '97 Stalingrad during the Winter Tank scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DWX8NgiYs

Your link dont work, but yes I think it was the grenade.

Actually I ve found that the Geballte ladung is a very old weapon, it was used first in…1918 :shock: against the British Tanks in WW1.

However a well placed GL could put out of action most of the russian tank tracks and also is told that exploding in contact with armor was enough to break 20-25 mm steel and stun the crew inside.

Waffen SS soldier arming a geballte ladung grenade.

Off course dont try to stop a Pershing or JS- 2 with this because you probably will die.

The finnish army had also its his own variant of the “Geballte ladung.”

[INDENT][LEFT]In 1936, Captain Kaarlo Tuurna, serving in the Pioneer battalion, developed the Finnish kasapanos. In tests it was noticed that 0.5 kg of TNT could break 12 mm of armor if pressed tightly against the armor plate. Thus it was concluded that a kasapanos with 0.8 kg of TNT was sufficient. This was of course an insufficient explosive charge for WW 2 tanks, but at least the basic design and requirements of the weapon were set.[/LEFT]

Although the industrial production of satchel charges had been started before the war, the design was developed further during the war. The factory produced satchel charges (see examples left and right), were made in 2 kg, 3 kg and 4 kg versions. The explosives were in a box covered by sheet metal, while the wooden handle and fuse were those of the stick hand grenade (German m/32 hand grenade, the “potato smasher”).

[/INDENT]

[INDENT]The early models of the factory produced satchel charges had both of the larger sides coated by special glue in order to decrease the chance that the satchel charge would fall off from top of the rear deck of the tank. The glued sides were protected by plywood, which was removed only moments before the throw. The glued satchel charge wasn’t a success, as the glue clung easily to the clothes (gloves etc.) of the user. If the glue was touched by snow or dirt, the effectiveness of the glue was reduced considerably.

The late production satchel charges had small hooks on each side of the explosives container box, on the “upper” edge (if holding the satchel charge in hand, see example on the left). The hooks were intended to clung the charge on the tank (if lucky), e.g. to the wiring net covering the engine ventilation. A more often used method to increase the chance of getting the satchel charge to stay on top of a tank was to attach barbed wire around the explosives, which clung on more easily.

[/INDENT]http://www.winterwar.com/Weapons/FinAT/FINantitank2.htm#kasap

didn’t they use stick grenades but attach like 10 heads of other nades?

The Geballte ladung used 7 stick grenade heads as you might see in the page 2 of this topic.

By the way, a correction to my earlier post, the Geballte ladung was not introduced in ww2, that device was already used in 1917 by strafing aeroplanes and stosstruppen.

Already in that conflict the sextuple grenade saw use against tanks.

Geballte Ladung for Halberstadt CL-II