Battleship of your heart

Not really - chances are the big stuff like boilers, gears, etc. will stay in place for the entire lifetime of the ship. Turbines might be removed, but they actually break down into pretty small pieces.
Problem with reactors, of course, isn’t so much the core itself (actually pretty small in a naval reactor) but the safety precautions needed…

Hi.

Ahem, Ise was a full battleship until it was equipped with aircraft handling facilities and catapults for over 20 seaplanes instead of the rear gun turrets in 1943/44…

Many navies planned similar ships or conversions in the late 1930th but only Ise and Hyuga were remodelled this way. But there were only few surviving seaplane pilots and seaplanes in 1944 so none of these hybrid battleships was equipped with aircraft.

By the way, I prefer the Nagato type battleships.

Yours

tom! :wink:

Sin loi Tom, and Walter, I had mistaken the statement for a question, “Is Aircraft Carrier (a) Battleship” . I’ll go stand in the corner now,:slight_smile:

im voting for the washington for actually destroying an enemy battleship the kirishima.the south dakota also in the area had some equipment failure.which led to that ship not fully participating in that engagement.

wash.jpg

Well, Bismarck was damaged by a torpedo from a plane, but that could easily have happened to any ship of that era. What sealed her fate (imho even before she started her voyage) was however the RN and the unbelievably miserable odds any german surface vessel faced due to numerical inferiority and an overall crappy strategic position with regards to seapower.
Using a big expensive ship as a Raider is stupid to begin with and imho not only in hindsight, because it only needs to be damaged to jeopardize not only the mission but the whole ship. Bismarck was just the epitome of that stupidity.

a friend of my wife’s grandfather served on the Washington. I showed her the website and photo’s. she was speechless…

here are a few more washington pics

yeah I saw these. man she got her bow ripped off. the Vestal was sitting next to the Arizona at Pearl Harbor.

The USS Texas, second oldest in the US fleet, served in both theaters, including D-Day, Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and now resting quietly and with respect as a museum near Houston.

Are you aware that the BB-47 Washington, there is a picture here of her launch, is not the same Washington that served in WWII? BB-47 was never completed.

dont know how that happened…oops not paying attention i guess

mine is the IJN Ise Battleship/Aircraftcarrier, Starting the plans for it in 1/72 scale. and if you are woundering it is 10 feet and 6 inchs long. but waiting for the 1/350 by Hasagwa to come out.

Mark G

totally the bismarck

this was a great topic!!!

I voted for HMS Warspite she might not have been the best warship but her fighting record is incredible. She must have been the best value for money battleship ever built. What a shame she wasnt preserved she would have made a fantastic memorial for the Royal Navy of both world wars.

I voted for HMS Warspite she might not have been the best warship but her fighting record is incredible. She must have been the best value for money battleship ever built. What a shame she wasnt preserved she would have made a fantastic memorial for the Royal Navy of both world wars.

Yes, it´s hard to understand why that ship wasn´t preserved. The British really felt it was important to recycle older warships into useful metal in the time after WWII, but I wonder if anyone disagree now if I state that they didn´t need THAT metal THAT much! It´s incredible that the cruiser Belfast (1939) is the only larger ship preserved built later than 1860 from a navy that meant so much to a quite heritage-minded country. (But it´s interesting that Victory (1765) and Warrior (1860) are still around (pure luck in the case of Warrior)).

When Warspite was committed to the breaker’s yard in 1947, there was a public outcry. Fact is that in any navy, fewer Battleships in history have seen so much action. She was hit 13 times by the Battlecruisers of the high seas fleet whilst her helm jammed. After her second re-construction, she emerged as virtually a new ship, but lost none of her character. Due to HMS Nelson’s severe damage after detonating a magnetic mine, Warspite assumed the role of Flagship, Home Seas fleet and took part in the second battle of Narvik, her Swordfish being the first aircraft to sink a U-boat in WW2. She went on to achieve successes in the Mediterranean theatre with actions against the Italian Fleet at Calabria (with a direct hit amidships against the modern battleship Gullio Cesere at thr prodigious range of 13 miles), followed with the night action off Cape Matapan, where in company with her sister ships, Valiant, Malaya and Barham they sunk three heavy cruisers Zara, Paolo and Fiume. She was badly damaged with a 250kg bomb whilst covering the evacuation of crete, necessitating a trip to Bremerton Navy yard in the USA for extensive repairs and refit. Upon returning to the Mediterranean, she was present for the surrender of the Italian fleet. Whilst supporting the landings off Salerno she was hit amidships by a radio controlled bomb, completely destroying a boiler room an putting X Turret out of action. She limped back to grand harbour with over 1500t of seawater. She was so severely damaged that the only way to make her seaworthy was to pour 100’s of tonnes of concrete in to her centre section to form a plug, she was repaired after a fashion so that she could achieve approximately half of her normal 24k so that she could make the journey home to form part of the bombardment force covering the Arromanches area of the Normandy invasion beaches. She fire 300+ broadsides at German positions with incredible accuracy which was the hallmark of her operational career. One unfortunate episode of the bombardment operations was that she shot down a P51 which was spotting shot for her, the aircraft was in the trajectory of one of her 15" shells, destroying the hapless Mustang without deviating the shell. After returning to Harwich to have her third outfit of 15" guns, she too went over a magnetic mine, severely buckling her outer hull. She was passed as seaworthy and pressed on to her final battle honour, the bombardment of a heavy fort off Walcheren peninsular, Belgium which was being held by a garrison of German troops and had resisted numerous armoured thrusts by British forces. After several full (6 gun) broadsides, the Fort fell to our troops and Warspite’s gallant fifgting career came to an end. Warspite had the last word when she was sent to the scrapyard in 1947, in heavy seas off the Cornish coast, her helm jammed once again and the steel hawsers broke and she drove herself on to rocks off prussia cove. her hull was badly holed and all that could be done was to effect repairs sufficient to beach her on Marazion sands, near the causeway to St Michael’s mount. The demolition process was not completed until 1953, and porions of her keel still remain in the sands. There is a stone monument to “The Grand Old Lady” left by the Warspite association to the memory of her sailors and to the spirit of the most valiant warship to have served with the Royal Navy.

My tribute to the lasting memory of our gallant Warspite.
Greycap Leader

Here is some real good info on the capabilities of the battleships when push comes to shove.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

It’s a very interesting read.

Deaf

Iowa! For those two reasons:

BB-62 The USS New Jersey because…She began her career as the flagship for Adm. Spruance and proceeded to garner 19 battle decorations,the most of any American battleship through out her service life.Commisioned on Dec.7th,1942 and decommisioned for the last time on Sept.12th,1999.She received 9 battle stars for WW II,4 battle stars for Korea,2 battle stars and 1 US Navy Unit Commendation for Viet Nam and 3 Campaign Stars for Beirut,Lebanon and the Persian Gulf,prior to Operation Desert Storm.