Best fighter of the war?

Two aircraft a generation apart in performance.

The Yak wins without a doubt.

BDL, next draw please :lol: :lol:

Being researched as we speak mate, had an exam this morning, which is why it wasn’t done last night

Hawker Tempest (UK) v Ki-84 Hayate (Japan)

Hawker Tempest V (UK)

Top Speed: 426mph (686km/h)
Service Ceiling: 36,500ft (11,125m)
Rate of Climb: 4,520ft (1,377m) per minute
Range: 820 miles (1,319km)
Armament: 4x 20mm cannon and either 8x 60lb rockets or 2x 1,000lb bombs

After the Hawker Typhoon was found to have a disappointing performance for a fighter, the thick wing of the Typhoon was replaced with a thinner eliptical wing to produce the Hawker Tempest. This was a far superior fighter to the Typhoon and one Me 262 pilot said “the Messerschmitt Me 262’s most dangerous opponent was the British Hawker Tempest - extremely fast at low altitudes, highly-manoeuvrable and heavily-armed”.

Very fast and very heavily armed, the Tempest was used by the RAF from 8th June 1944 (the first time a Tempest fought enemy aircraft, shooting down three Bf109G fighters without loss to themselves) until after the end of the war, giving valuable service in both Europe and the Far East. The Tempest was also used as one of the fighters fast enough to intercept the V-1 rockets, destroying 686 rockets between June and September.

Ki-84 Hayate (Japan)

Top Speed: 392mph (631km/h)
Service Ceiling: 34,449ft (10,500m)
Rate of Climb: 2,780ft (847m) per minute
Range: 1,053miles (1,695km)
Armament: 2x 20mm cannon and 2x 12.7mm (0.50in) MGs plus 2x 551lb (250kg) bombs

Probably the best fighter available to Japan by the end of the war, the Hayate (Gale) had both a decent performance and a (by Japanese standards) very heavy armament, capable of shooting down the heavy US bombers. The Ki-84 met with immediate approval from Japanese as soon as the prototype was flown, but was still subjected to lengthy service trials which delayed its entry into combat. Although the design had the potential to be a world class fighter, a lack of fuel and materials, a shortage of properly trained pilots and poor production quality stopped it from reaching the full potential.

Tempest for me.

Faster, better armed & armoured, faster climbing & doubtless faster in the dive.
The narrow planform of the elliptical wing on the Tempest made for an exceedingly agile aircraft.
The Japanese fighters were always more vulnerable to damage than those of the Allies - Oriental mindset?

Didn’t the Ki-84 out perform the P-51 and the P-47 in post war tests on enemy aircraft???

Check this link…

http://www.angelfire.com/fm/compass/Hayate.htm

after reading this my vote goes to the FRANK.

Seconded. Nothing more to add.

Tempest for me, but that’s really just a highly biased opinion based on the fact that I happen to love the aircraft. It is the absolute epitome of the late war “brutes” which represent the pinnacle of piston engined aircraft (jets just don’t have the same soul to them). My ambition for years (which I’ll never have the flying skill or cash to fulfil) has been to take a Tempest fitted with a tuned up Sabre and an annular radiator to the Reno air races…

3-1 to the Tempest up to now.

Will add my own vote tomorrow (probably)

Tempest.

The epitome of all that is piston powered and over-engined.

And f’ing good looking too. Anyone who’s been to Hendon will understand twice over.

The Japanese fighter is good, but not quite a Tempest - a by-word for power of the piston engined variety, and which outguns it’s Japanese adversary.

Don’t ever post drunk and then look back at your post in the morning!

I have to go with the Tempest as well here. For the reasons stated above. Nothing more to say really.

Agreed. Tempest has my vote.

Nice… :lol:

Just a quick hi and welcome to the site. Look forward to seeing more posts from you in future.

aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!! :?

aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!! :?[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

While mostly I would normally go with a big energy fighter on this one the Hayate is substantial enough of a Jap plane for me to go with between the 2, especially the models with heavy armament.

KI.84

6-2 to the Tempest, I’ll leave it one more night and see what happends.

Yeah I was impressed with the Ki-84IC version carrying two 30mm and two 20mm cannons.

The Tempest is both asthetically pleasing but as it could chase a V1 and worry a jet pilot it’s got my vote.