Best fighter of the war?

If it was any other version other than the D-9 i would go for the Hellcat, however, its not.

The hellcat could outclimb a D-9, but the D-9 was more manouverable and had the speed edge, while the Hellcat was undoubtedly more robust I would have to give my vote to the D-9. I tried to find some instances of Hellcat Vs FW-190 D9s but couldnt, the RN used hundreds of them, but they were mainly in the Pacific by the last year of the war, Okinawa etc.

So I vote FW190-D9

2-0 to the German up to now, I really can’t make my mind up on it, will stick my answer up tomorrow.

Hellcat. You can afford to trade off a chunk of performance when your design is that bloody rugged.

I can’t vote for the Dora-9 because unlike the Hellcat, it clearly never quite dominated it’s domain.

Personally, I have to go for the Fw-190. The fact that it never dominated like the Hellcat was down to the circumstances that it was forced to fight under, rather than the aircraft itself. It was faster and more manoeuverable than the Hellcat, although the Hellcat had more armour. It’s a very close decision, but the Fw-190 just edges it for me.

3-1 to the Fw-190, I’ll let this one run until tomorrow morning.

Stole the words right out of my mouth :smiley: FW-190 for me.

Voting closed for that round then, Hellcat goes out and the Fw-190 goes though.

I’ll sort a new one out either this evening or tomorrow.

Philistines :stuck_out_tongue:

Hawker Hurricane IIC (UK) v La-7 (USSR)

Hawker Hurricane IIC (UK)

Max Speed: 336mph (541km/h)
Service Ceiling: 35,600ft (10850m)
Rate of Climb: 2197ft (669m) per minute
Range: 468 miles (740km)
Armament: 4x 20mm cannon, 2x 500lb (227kg) bombs or 2x 44 gallon drop tanks or 8x 60lb rockets

The first combat aircraft to use rockets for ground attack, the Hurricane IIC was the final fighter version of the Hurricane. It was widely used on night intruder operations over France, where it proved popular with the pilots. It was very sturdy, able to absorb large amounts of battle damage and still bring the pilot home. It also had a very roomy cockpit compared to other fighters of the day, allowing the pilot some degree of comfort on the long intruder missions. Although not as fast or manoeuverable as some fighters, the Hurricane saw service in Europe, North Africa and the Far East, as a fighter and a fighter bomber and was also used at the Hurricat carried on Merchant Navy ships and launched from a catapult on the bow of the ship. The pilot would then bail out close to the ship and (hopefully) be picked up. The Hurri was also modified for carrier use as the Sea Hurricane.

La-7 (USSR)

Max Speed: 423mph (677km/h)
service Ceiling: 36,090 ft (11000m)
Rate of Climb: 3281ft (1000m) per minute
Range: 475 miles (765km)
Armament: 2x 20mm (23mm in some aircraft) cannon, up to 4x 82mm (3.23in) rockets or 331lb (150kg) of bombs.

The La-7 was a development of the La-5, with a lighter airframe and a more powerful engine. It was also the final Lavochkin design to use a mixed wood and metal frame. The La-7 was a fast fighter and also manoueverable. It was flown by many of the Soviet Union’s leading aces, and also scored the first Communist victories over US aircraft, when one was mistakenly attacked by two P-51 Mustangs, both of which were shot down. The air cooled angine was also ideal for Soviet aircraft, as they were not affected by extreme cold temperature, as liquid cooler engines were. The La-7 was also the only Soviet fighter of the war to shoot down a jet, when an Me262 was shot down by Ivan Nikitovich Kozhedub, the top allied ace of the war with 62 kills. The La-7 remained in service with the USSR and many other Communist countries for several years after the war, being given the NATO reporting name ‘FIN’.

Also - I believe that the La-7 in the picture may be the experimental La-7D, which had two ramjets added beneath the wings.

According to http://xplanes.free.fr/lavo/arl-1.html the pic shows a La-9RD.

I’ll research more this evening.

That’s where I found the photo Dani, but I can’t read French. I’ve read sources while doing this that say about ramjets being mounted on experimental La-7s. If anyone can read French, they might be able to confirm.

Move the cursor over the picture within that site and you’ll see a comment. :smiley:

Edited: “Le La-9RD a pulsoreacteur”

Here it’s La 7

The most advanced Soviet fighter produced during the war was the powerfully elegant Lavochkin LA-7, a fighter introduced in 1944 that was superior to anything the Luftwaffe flew; with 15000 planes produced, the LA-7 gave the Soviets the edge in a theatre Germany believed it dominated right to the end.

Simply better than Hurricane, I’d say.

I have to go with the La-7 on this one, although the Hurricane has a much heavier armament, the La-7 is faster and more manoeuverable. The Hurricane was a great aircraft in its day, and still filled an important ground attack role, but it had been overtaken by better fighters by 1944 when the La-7 appeared in numbers.

2-0 to the La-7.

The La-7 is so superiour I cant even think of any arguments.

La-7 for me.

The Hurricane was an excellent platform for its day though…

La-7 for me too - 4 years of war makes a hell of a difference.

La-7’s through then, and a classic goes out.

Will stick another one up soon

I abstained because I couldn’t bring myself to vote against the Hurricane, and I would have had to. Hopefully the next one won’t be so heart breaking!

Ki-43 Hayabusa (Japan) v Ki-44 Shoki (Japan)

Ki-43

Top Speed: 329mph (530km/h)
Service Ceiling: 36,745ft (11200m)
Rate of Climb: 2,828ft (862m)/minute
Range: 1,094 miles (1,760km)
Armament: 2x 12.7mm (0.50in) MG plus 2x 250kg (551lb) bombs

With an underpowered engine and very light armament, the Hayabusha (Peregrine Falcon) was probably the most dangerously underrated Japanese fighter of the early war period. Outstandingly manoueverable, it attained complete mastery over the Hawker Hurricanes and Brewster Buffalos it faced in Burma. The flip side of this manoueverability was an exceedingly light design, which had very little armour and no self sealing fuel tanks. These limitations were realised and a second version was introduced (the Ki-43-II), which had pilot armour, a reflector gunsight and rudimentary self sealing tanks.

Ki-44

Top Speed: 376mph (706km/h)
Service Ceiling: 36,745ft (11200m)
Rate of Climb: 3,832ft (1,168m)/minute
Range: 1,056miles (1,700km)
Armament: 4x 12.7m (0.50in) MGs

The Ki-44 Shoki (Demon) entered service in 1940, and initially proved unpopular with pilots due to high landing speeds and poor manoueverability. An improved Ki-44-IIa version was introduced after only 40 Ki-44-Is had been produced, which improved these deficencies. The major production version, the Ki-44-IIb, proved fairly succesful as an interceptor, with the vast majority being based in Japan as home defence fighters. The final version, the Ki-44-IIc was armed with either four 20mm cannon or two 40mm cannon and two .50in MGs, and proved extremely effective against Allied bombers in the closing stages of the war.

Probably a very difficult this one, with two fairly unknown fighters. I’m going to leave it over the weekend because I’m away from tomorrow until saturday evening.