best german panzer divisions

Would any of these sort of records be accurate? I don’t think Divs or Bdes keep these sort of scores in the same way as a Fighter Sqn.

Rather than numbers it would be better to view the Divs accomplishments. Didn’t a panzer division break out of an envelopment of the Russians during 44?

I only say this to get a bit of information, as I can only vaguely remember the action, does anyone know?

well, from my understanding, in the last year of the war allied armored units suffered extremely high armor losses, typically between 300-600 percent. Russian armored units also suffered similiarily high losses throughout the war. And lastly, the majority of tanks are not destroyed by other tanks, but by mines, AT guns,and infantry AT weapons.

Hosenfield wrote

AT guns,and infantry AT weapons

Not too sure about this. Infantry AT weapons and AT guns, by their very nature are very light and thus generally not as effective as weapons actually carried by tanks!!! Nor are they as manouvrable.

However I think one of the main problems during WW2 was that commanders didn’t give enough Infantry protection to tanks in built up areas. FIBUA was a key point in the last days of the war.

300-600 percent

Not too sure about this one either!!! I don’t think there were enough tanks available for this kind of loss.

I think the old adage

“67% of statistics are made up on the spot” rings a bell!!!

well, small AT weapons like panzerfaust, bazooka, hollow charge mines, satchel charges, inflicted 33-16 percent of losses. REmeber, combat b/w tank vs tank was fairly rare.

in urban combat, or village combat, is where panzerfausts shine. in the battle of berlin 1/3 of the 2000 russian tanks destroyed were by panzerfausten.

that statistic is completely right. 3rd armored division, IE suffered 580 percent losses, over 1400 tanks lost. for the last year, 30,000 shermans and cromwells were built before the landings, so there was Plenty more to replace losses.

statistics for tank losses are pretty accurate. its pretty much counting how many tanks are left…

well, small AT weapons like panzerfaust, bazooka, hollow charge mines, satchel charges, inflicted 33-16 percent of losses. REmeber, combat b/w tank vs tank was fairly rare.

in urban combat, or village combat, is where panzerfausts shine. in the battle of berlin 1/3 of the 2000 russian tanks destroyed were by panzerfausten.

that statistic is completely right. 3rd armored division, IE suffered 580 percent losses, over 1400 tanks lost. for the last year, 30,000 shermans and cromwells were built before the landings, so there was Plenty more to replace losses.

statistics for tank losses are pretty accurate. its pretty much counting how many tanks are left…

Do you have any info about it.

Do you have any info about it.[/quote]

Yeah Hosenfield, do you have any info? I’d enjoy reading it :smiley:

We waiting … :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

lol :lol: anytime now… :wink:

Anyway, back on topic, the best Panzer divison was the 7th Panzer division under the command of Rommel :smiley:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=80856&highlight=

this shows losses, the rest of the info i got from books. sorry about the wait, i thought this thread was" gefallen "

7th and Grobdeutchland was probably the best armored division until 1942.

:slight_smile:

I love those German uniforms, pretty schnazzy if I do say so myself, you know, for evil maniacs trying to take over the world. :slight_smile: But seriously, I like the 2nd, 5th, 8th, 9th, 11th and 14th Panzer Divisions. Tore through the Balkans pretty quickly…

Checking the book “Tiger 1 heavy tank 1942-1945” of Jentz-Doyle I found interesting data about the battle of KursK.

There was 148 Tigers I available on that time in the Eastern Front, 85 % ready to combat.

Facing it there was about 3400 russian tank ( including 270 Kv-1 and 35 Churchill Mk-III)

The sPz.Abt 503 had an excelent performance in the attack to the russian bulge. Betwenn 1 of July 1943 and 2 September 1943 the Heavy Tank Batallion claimed as destroyed 501 enemy tanks (mostly T-34 but also small cuantities of Valentine, Churchill, and KV-1s) 388 pak and Flak guns, 79 artillery pieces and 7 aircraft…

In turn this group suffer 18 Tiger knocked out wich only 7 became total losses.

You look gangster :shock:
21st ALL THE WAY!!!
www.21pz.com