Can anyone tell me what round/bullet this is

You could say that collectors like us, in a small way, keep history alive, I’ve been collecting for a long time, and met many a friends in doing so.

I have as well found a head stamped SL 42, however it clearly is a 30-06 round. One thing puzzles me, the tip is painted black, is this some kind of early armor piercing round?

Hi Archaeodigger

Thank you for your help on this, see Originally Posted by tankgeezer; (Quote; also produced the .30 cal rifle cartridge (30-06)), not sure of the black tip though,

Chunky

The black tip paint did denote a hard Steel cored armor piercing bullet. This tip color was used on all A.P. ammo up to .50BMG into the 70’s,(perhaps to the present day) including the 5.56x45 round of the M-16. (although at some point this was changed to a green tip, no idea why though.)
U.S. markings from the 30’s to the 70’s was pretty much Black= armor piercing,
Red = trace
Silver = Incendiary
These marks may be combined if the round incorporates more than one feature. Ammunition made for other Nations would have their own marking system applied. With the advent of NATO, munitions, and their markings began to be standardized.

Hi tankgeezer, Thank you for posting this extra information, and I hope you didn’t mind me using you Quote. Chunky

Its perfectly okay to quote my posts Chunky, no problem at all.