Construction of Carriers instead of Battleships

Israel Martial Arts. Krav Maga is what the IDF uses. No fancy kicks but lots of elbows, knees, punches, head butts, and low kicks. Grappling to. We had a lady come watch the class. We were on the floor with pads punching and elbowing the pads. She had this look of horror on her face. I suspect she thought the class was going to be like what the ‘karate kid’ took.

IDPA stands for International Defense Pistol Association. We compete using carry guns conceled and more-or-less combat tactics (lots of debate on what is the ‘best’ tactics.) My carry gun is a Glock 27 .40, and IDPA gun is a Glock 26 9mm. The 9mm is cheeper to shoot but looks and feels exactly like the 27.

IPSC stands for International Practical Shooting Confederation. It’s pure game and we shoot alot of ammo. I still use a Glock in it though. Granged a Glock 17 9mm. Bigger than my 26 but that’s just the barrel being longer grip frame longer. Still feels pretty much the same as the smaller Glocks.

If you ever go to the board, ‘Glock Talk’, you will find a ‘Deaf Smith’. I love to shoot and I love to fight. But when I was in junior high I was a WW2 buff and I read all kinds of books on the subject. Even today I have a fair library on in. Even several books signed by Aces.

I totaly agree. The Japanese lost the war on day one. I’ve even seen articles that said even if they had got some carriers at Perl Harbor we still would have just built more and it would have ended the same.

Deaf

A way late post, and perhaps a unwanted return to topic…

The USN had a reserve pilot training program in the 1930s. It brought in several thousand young men, gave them a year or so of pilot and naval officer training, then training complete released to reserve status. When the Emergency War Powers Act of 1940 triggered the mobilization of late 1940 this large pool of pilots were brough back into active naval service. Some were infact present in combat from the start in 1941. The remainder represented a large pool of naval aviators which would have been available to fill out the aircrews of the extra carriers.

Interesting.

I wonder if Japan had anything similar?

I’ve read quite a number of memoirs by Japanese soldiers, many of whom were called up for service in China pre-war, released, and then called up again during the war. I can’t recall if this applied to the IJN.

I suspect it wouldn’t apply to IJN pilots as the nature and length of their training put them in a special class, and also because the IJN didn’t play any air war role in China as far as I’m aware, or if it did it was probably pretty minor.

Still, did the IJN have any reserve of pilots?

USN - New Aviators Designated
1938 - 543
1939 - 450
1940 - 708
1941 - 3112
1942 - 10868
1943 - 20843
1944 - 21067
1945 - 8880

Rich