Could Britain have gone it alone against the axis in europe?

Yes, the UK did have great problems after the war and could not help SA. Mate SA has some of the best gold, diamonds, coal, steel, sopper, platinum, natural gas and forest to support a timber needs. Who got rich? The UK or SA?

South Africa is a rich country and it was runned right but now there are just a bunch of stuped numskulls who just steal and do not give a dam about the rest.

The fact remain that the UK did suffer more, but not just SA but all the other colenies under the controle of the UK.

The only thing that I wanted to say is that the UK would have been nothing wihtout the support of the US and her colenies.

This will correct all the other things I said that might not match with this.

I have nothing against the UK now.

Henk

Well the UK did not suffer after the war like the Commonwealth gave alot to the war effort for the UK and thus had problems after the war because of it.

Not sure where you got this idea from, as Canadian industry BOOMED as a result of the war, and that industrial boom made us the rich country we are today.

Where did the UK get it’s war material? Except for the US. The commonwealth. They milked the dominians and did not give a dam what happend to them after the war, just as long as they get their war material.

Yes, thats correct (see my stats below), but as I said above, the milking of the Canadian industry made us a rich nation… so, I guess we can’t complain.

For anyone interested, here are some Canadian industry statistics and information:

Canada did not accept American Lend-Lease aid. Actually Canada ran its own lend-lease program for its allies called “Mutual Aid”, supplying its allies with four billion dollars worth of war materiel. A further credit of a billion dollars was given to Britain. The total value of Canadian war production was almost $10 billion - approximately $100 billion in today’s dollars.

Production:

• 9,000 boats and ships
  • 50,000 tanks and armoured gun carriers
  • 16,418 aircraft (10,000 shipped directly to Britain, and the remainder going to the USA or for use in the BCATP in Canada)
  • 850,000 vehicles (including 45,710 armoured vehicles)
  • Huge amounts of munitions
  • Anti-tank and field artillery equipment
  • 40,000 field, naval, and anti-aircraft guns
  • 1,700,000 small arms (Rifles, automatic weapons etc.)
  • 2,150 twenty-five pounder “Sexton” self-propelled guns
  • Radar sets and Electronics

Of the 800,000+ military vehicles of all types built in Canada, 168,000 were issued to Canadian forces. Thirty-eight percent of the total Canadian production went to the British. The remainder of the vehicles went to the other Allies. This meant that the Canadian Army ‘in the field’ had a ratio of one vehicle for every three soldiers, making it the most mechanized field force in the war.

Britain had entered the war with 80,000 military vehicles of all types; however, 75,000 of these British vehicles were left behind in the evacuation at Dunkirk in 1940. Virtually defenceless on the ground, Britain turned to Canada - and particularly the Canadian auto industry - to replace what had been lost. Canada not only replaced these losses, it did much more.