Equipment/Gear identification thread.

Look at the topic again. (Sorry, my photobucket crashed so I couldn’t get them in right away)

hehe, that happen with “Instant replay” :rolleyes:

Seems one of those used by Volkssturm commanders units.

Ok thanks. It seems that, but his uncle did tell him it was Waffen-SS Military Police. They were trying to tell the troops that they were ‘The Big Shots’ with the NSDP armbands. By this time (Operation Market Garden, Late '44), the Military Police were executing deserters, so I think this is of a Military Policemans, but you could be correct. Thanks again.

Anybody else?

(Edited, the blood stain is what really attracts me to the armband. Like…what happend to the wearer?)

The armband itself is a standard one but what it implies is probably more important.

The wearing of overt nazi symbols like an armband would have shown the other troops that the individual(s) was considered a Nazi, with it’s subsequent power, rather than just “ordinary” soldiers. It would have implied a degree of authority beyound their standing rank.

As to them being Military Police, it may have that they were soldiers who had been assigned local temporary powers, because standard German MPs / Feldgendarmerie wore special insignia and gorgets. Have a look at this site which covers both Army and SS Police uniforms etc:

http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/germany.htm

Incidentally the laboral service R.A.D wears one very similar.

Interesting…but the Reichs Arbeit Dienst were never called into combat…were they?

Yes the formation was used in combat , since 1941 ocasionally but from 1944 specially.

Most of the RAD units were agregated to SS or Volkssturm combat vervande.

Hello! :slight_smile:

I have a question:

How had been these vehicles “sponsored” by the Germans painted in the Romanian and Hungarian army?

Hungary
PzKpfw 38(t) light tanks

PzKpfw III Ausf M and N

PzKpfw IV Ausf D and G

Sturmgeschutz III (40) Ausf F

Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer tank destroyers

PzKpfw V Panther G medium heavy tanks

PzKpfw VI Tiger heavy tanks

Romania
PzKpfw 38(t) light tanks

PzKpfw III Ausf M & N medium tanks

Sturmgeschutz III (40) Ausf F

PzKpfw IV Ausf G medium tanks

SdKfz.251 halftracked personnel carriers

Thanks!! :wink:

Hello,

I am looking for informations/plans/fotos about the bilstein crane we can see on the foto.

Could you help me to find some ?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Hello,

as we can see on some pictures, The Axis force used many trucks coming from other countries.

I think that the truck in the following foto is a Skoda 6ST6L…

as we can see here :

Could you post some more pictures ?
Best Regards

Hi Athon,

one tiny correction:
Skoda is from former Czechoslovakia :wink:

Pozdrawiam,

Kovalski

Thanks, I modify the title :wink:

I once read something about French trucks in Wehrmacht ‘Osteer’ service as something as a “Montezuma’s Revenge” of France, as they more frequently broke down than the Mercedes and Opels, were difficult to service due to lack of parts, and caused an overall logistical nightmare…

Here’s a pic of a French Unic halftrack…

unic_p107.jpg

And here’s an interesting thread on captured French equipment used in Wehrmacht service…

A Berliet truck:

A Renault truck:

http://forum.axishistory.com/files/vehicle_parc__renault_ahn_2_555.jpg

I have finally received my great uncles WWII dog tag. I have researched his travels through the war with the RAD and Wehrmacht to the best of my ability and would like some help reading his dog tag. I know he was in the RAD in the early goings (Danzig Westprussen) and was brought up to battle at 17 years old in 1944 to fight in Belgium, this is where the war ended for him as he was taken prisoner by a Canadian tank regiment. (wounded, straffed by machine gun, 5 slugs which he carried in his body until his death at 83 years old)
Any help with regards to the following info i will give you on his dog tag would be appreciated. To the best of my ability the tag reads exactly as follows:

II FL Rgt.71
4. Komp. 708

Again, any help in further information on this would be greatly appreciated. To show my appreciation, if i receive information i regard as further education in my research, i will post 2 pictures of my uncle in full uniform for you to view.

I am sending you a link by private M, that migh be helpful.