Execution of Crocodile Tank Crews

Originally posted by mkenny: The stories about Crocodile crews being executed started with Andrew Wilson’s book ‘Flame Thrower’. Published in 1956.
Wilson relates an incident where a Crocodile from his Unit broke down and was overun whilst the crew were trying to repair it. The crew were later found dead near the tank. It was concluded they had been lined up and shot.

I can see the crew being executed on the spot by a retreating or desperate enemy; in late 1944, after the Falaise pocket and the near-destruction of the Wehrmacht in France, I’m sure the Germans would be unable or unwilling to take prisoners with them on the retreat

The Malmedy Massacre in December 1944 showed how far some German officers (especially die-hard Nazis) were willing to go to stop the Allies

While it’s mentioned anecdotally in many books (Peter Beale’s ‘Tank Tracks - 9 RTR At War’ being one), I can only recall Andrew Wilson’s ‘Flamethrower’ mentioning a particular incident and even then, there was some supposition involved, as the deed was not actually witnessed. There were also instances of a number of other, non-Croc tank crews being murdered, so it’s by no means proof.

In reply to one of the above comments - while 141 RAC was the only Croc regiment in Normandy, another two were formed immediately afterwards: 31st Tank Brigade (of which 141 RAC was a part, along with 7 RTR and 9 RTR) was temporarily disbanded in August 1944 and reformed in 79th Armoured Division in October 1944, with 7 RTR and 1st Fife & Forfar Yeomanry joining 141 RAC in the flamethrowing game. A couple more Crocodile squadrons were formed in 25th Armoured Engineer Brigade in Italy later that year, while the Canadians also got in on the act by forming Ram Badger flame tank troops in a number of their units (and this doesn’t include the many Wasp flame carrier units formed from July 1944 onwards).

Reminds me of the riot gunners in WW I. The Germans made no secret there the user of that weapon was seen as an animal.

Heck, the Germans used the first flamethrowers in WWI at Verdun–most guys on their side tried to stay away from them because of the tendency for the pressurized tanks to explode