Favo(u)rite British Gun

But very reliable. The Aussies first used the Sten Mk2, then they tried to build the Austen, which was largely incompatible with the Sten, using lots of cast aluminium parts. The only similarity was the trigger mechanism. The internal mechanism was very similar to the MP-38/40.The Austen proved not to be very reliable, and was then replaced with the Owen SMG.

Jan

I wouldnt say the Sten was too great, but it was easy to mass produce. The Silenced Sten however, that was a great feat.

i like the Lanchester Mark 1 for an SMG

my all time fav brit gun,…
the Lewis Mk 1 Machine gun. in .303

Inveted by an American though…

Why is the Piat listed as a gun

ya i know… :? :?

The lee enfield carbine,
One of my favouirite british guns. :smiley:
Webley Revolver , nice for close combat 8)

Surely you mean the Lee-Enfield (No.4) rifle? The No.5 carbine (for jungle use) was a bit of a dog because while it shot the .303 round the shortened barrel (48cm against 64cm for the No. 4) made it kick like a mule on PCP and reduced the accuracy terribly. It was only good to about 200yds which is a bit of a waste of all that powder in the full-size cartridge.
Some people think it looks good though, although I prefer the WWI era SMLE.

There could be a bit of confusion because the No.4 like the SMLE (short model/magazine Lee-Enfield is a slightly cut-down version of the original pre-1900 Long (infantry) L-E with a 77cm barrel. The long version along with a shorter cavalry carbine were found to be ineffective in the Boer War so the universal SMLE was designed to equip all Arms.

Check out good old Guns.ru: http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl04-e.htm for more info.

BTW if Enzo is reading this, Aussie company AIA make a No.5 knock-off in 7.62x39 M43 called the M10A1.

Many of the No.5s suffered from “wandering zero” - it would shoot beautifully one day, then need re-zeroing the next. This was something to do with the amount of metal they removed from the receiver to keep the weight down. Reportedly, no.5s made up from unbutchered no.4 actions don’t have this problem.

It is also a total mule to shoot - it even has a rubber butt plate, and if the Army thinks you need one, then you really do!

The No.4 is a better battle rifle than the SMLE, since the battle sight is much superior. There’s a tendancy with open sights to lose shots high when you’re under pressure which doesn’t happen with an apeture sight. They’re also a bit more accurate.

Well your probably right, ive only played with a Lee-Enfield on Call of duty haha.

And I only in Call of Duty but that rifle is not good to me :lol:

bren, a good magazine fed gun.

Lee-Enfield : Rifle No 4

CARTRIDGE
LENGTH o/a:
1128mm
BARREL:
640mm
WEIGHT:
4.11kg
RIFLING:
5 grooves.lh
MAGAZINE CAPACITY:
10 rounds
IN PRODUCTION: 1940-45

Nice information mate, could you post a link where you got it from mate? and Welcome to the Site buddy :!: :!:

The British Porridge Gun!!!

Nice information mate, could you post a link where you got it from mate? and Welcome to the Site buddy :!: :!:[/quote]

Hi bud I can’t give you a site name as i get it all from my book so here’s the info on that

Title of book: GUNS recongnition guide
Autor: Ian Hogg
PUBLISHERS : harp collins
Jane’s books

Aah, yes, Jane’s Guns.

Full of handy tips such as “pull back cocking handle to eject any round in the chamber” for open-bolt SMGs - the only round that could be in the chamber with the bolt forward is a misfire! :roll:

And the book that has the wrong picture for the Goryunov SG43, and (spotter hat on) a picture of an SMLE MkI instead of an SMLE MkIII…

Otherwise it’s OK, if a little lightweight.

No one is perfect my man not even yourself :wink: .And what i do if i spot a problem rather than bitch about it i write to the source to make it known there is a big misprint. Then its up to them

But i also work on the rule that i don’t just take one book or person’s say on somthing i cross chq all the time if i read somthing new… :smiley:

The only gun in the list is the BREN. The others are SMGs, rifles or, in one case, a spigot mortar.

The finest British gun of WW2 was the 25 pdr. So good we were still using them in the mid-90s.

Off to collect my anorak . . . .

I couldn’t of said it better :smiley: 8)