Favorite American Gun

Do you think I should start a poll on this subject as well?

Oh, right !!! :smiley:
M3/M3A1, aka Greasу Gun, .45 ACP, simple, cheap and reliable thing.
Was prodused by GM Corp. from 1942 (M3), then was simplified in 1944 (M3A). Very usable SMG for close combats and for non-battle personell, as tank/car crews for example.
Was in service in US Army from 1942 till end of 60’s.

cool! i didn`t hear about Johnson LMG,great description praetorian

You welcome.
Guns - it was a part of my job and now is it a bit mania.

BTW - i wish you got in arms this M1941 LMG somehow (in USA you can found some quantity of it in private collections, offcourse, only in civilian semy-auto versions). Is it great feeling - this LMG finished as very expencive english-made hunter shootguns. Glance and fine. Polished and shinig. Usually parts war-made guns looks very utilitary - with signs of stamping, not polished - just instruments of war. But not Johnsons…
Today semy-auto Johnson’s rifles still used as high accurate sporting rifles - these rifles and LMGs too was made with great quality.
And this quality was a one of reason why M1941 was never adopted as US Army rifle - price of M1941 was very high.

Started the poll…think i got all the guns that I could gather sorry if i left any out. This poll should be on going so well see what people think. :smiley:

Yeah… how about M1941 Johnson autorifle :wink:
And M1917 (Lee Endfield 1914 for .303 cal) ?
And M1917 / M21 Winchester pump action shootgun (as well as Intaca shootgun)
I just kidding.
For me greatest weapon of US Army in WWII without doubts should be an M1 Garand.
In other words “My M1 does my talk” :wink:
In some situations i would use an BAR M1918.
In some - M1 Carabine.
And in any situation i must hawe Colt M1911A2 - greatest autopistol for any times. :wink:
If my weapons out of ammo and around no rocks to trow in enemies - okay, i agree to use Thomson or M3 :smiley: (Just kidding again)
Or, probably, i’ll need some of Winchester army’s pump-actioneers M1917 (modification of Winchester mod. 94) or M21…
Hard to ansver. :lol:

you know a lot about guns!.

did you hear about secret WW2 weapons?

well,im creating now a topic about it.

Thompson by far!!

Yea, Preatorian knows a lot about weapons. He is a virtual encyclopedia on them.

As for shotguns Preatorian, I prefer Mossburg brand. I own one too. They are known for extreme reliability and lack of jamming. Although, Remington, Browning and Ithica are also excellent shotguns. Mossburg have been widley adopted by police forces here in the US and most police cars carry a Mossburg shotgun on the trunk.

I like the M1 Carbine the most of American weapons in WWII. Yes, I know, not too powerful at over 200 yards, but light, effective at up to medium range, not so much kick, and accurate. Great weapon for any kind of fighting at up to 200-250 yards distance.

Thanks !

I got Mossberg few yeas ago, model 500, 12 gauge, 8 shells, and i sure - is it pretty good pomp-action gun, i can bet it.
But after time i sold my Mossberg and got Winchester Mod. 1300 (also 12 Gauge/8 shells) with composite stock. In one reason - i’m not hunter, can’t shoot animals, 'cos they can’t shoot in me, so, i need shootgun for selfdefence only, and my Win1300 a bit (700 gramm) lighter and more shorter than Mossberg 500 - it better for fight in bulding.

Is it matter of unfortunate design of bullet for .30 in WWII - cartrige got powder to shoot at more than 400 yards, but bullet speed fall aburptly after 200 meters (this 0.30 bullet in 1942 was just a bit modificated pistol-bullet). Mistake with aerodinamic’s things. So, today with new cartrige you can use it better, i hope. Btw - ask your father, please, if it possible - maybe during Korean war US Army already got different cartrige for M1Car than same in WWII ? I can’t belive that US Army don’t fixed this problem.

My favourite US gun is the 155mm Howitzer. The power in that thing is amazing, especielly if firing VT ammunition.

If I were to choose a small arm (i.e. not a gun) it would be the Garand I think, for no particular reason though, I just like the look of it.

Wow, I see we are forgettiing about the M2A1-7 Flame Thrower.

Horrific death if you are ever the enemy and come accross this one. It was also used as a “psychological” weapon. Very destructive, and you must think of what to burn up before you fire, because the fuel is difficult to extinguish.

Of course the Flame Thrower gunner, is an easy target to hit. One shot on the fuel tank and he, and allot of the surrounding comrades will burst into flames.

Two veterans I talked to said the best weapon was the m1 grand and that the m1 cabine had to small a calber to do anything.

They’re the same calibre it’s just that the carbine bullet is the wrong shape and the cartridge is too small.

Bit of an aside SAM but you may know that the SADF had them on the books until fairly recently.
The Ack Pack, (racking my brain here but I seem to recall it’s official designation was the No. 5 Mk 1.) was the Brit version, still a very effective wpn though, even allowing for the limited shots.

the greasegun is very good,cheap,and using it,you have better acuracy than tompson.it was designed for crew,so,the weapon had purpose of a crew weapon or a infantry short range weapon.It was made in lots.

Well my uncle was in the tank corp from about 1985-1989, and he was issued a Grease gun. He says it was the biggest piece of crap he’d ever seen, it was totally inaccurate. It wasn’t because he was a bad shot, because he registered expert with the 1911 and M16, sharpshooter with grenades, and his team and him set the current record for his units for accuracy with the M-60 tank. But he did say that if you hit someting with it, it would leave a huge mark. I’m not sure what to think of it.

I prefer the Thompson, I’ve fired one in full-automatic, and it is the smoothest automatic I’ve ever fired. Sure it was costly, but you get what you pay for… the Cadillac of SMG’s.

excuse me dermann,the tompson is more accurate than the greasegun?

At a range of about 30-40yd’s, I hit a bucket 25/30 time doing 5 round bursts.

Yes Erwin I’d say so.
The bbl is a bit longer than the M3’s, (2½" normally,) it’s a lot heavier so in R&R it’s much easier to hold on target.
However I’d hate to have had to carry one into battle, not because of reliability just due to the weight.

I know a chap that was in Combined Ops during WWII and he says carried the 1928 model with a 100 rd mag plus two fifty rd mags in pouches for raids on northern France.
This is over and above boxed rounds for reloading and other special to role eqpt !
If all goes well for a raid then no problems, but if you’re walking from Normandy to Berlin it might get to be a pain in the behind !