Favorite World War II Movies

Towards the end of that film are they in a North African village holding off a German advance with a Vickers (Or some machine gun) and a Field Gun until they’re either destroyed or out of ammo then charge over some dirt hill to attack the Germans?

That’s the badger! I love the bit at the end when they fix bayonets and march off into the sunset. When I was in the UOTC we recreated that scene on our final exercise before leaving the unit, we thought we were the coolest blokes alive. I imagine everyone else thought otherwise :smiley:

It was a long time ago that I saw that film, probably on Film 4 but I think one bit was a group of men sitting around possibly on a train and an older man was a manager of some sort of shop and another man use to be his clerk, the story played on that and how all recruits were equal, as you said unashamed propaganda but a good one none the less. (Hopefully I’m not mixing films :wink: )

While typing this I remembered the movie Very Important Person, seen it a few times and always enjoyed it.

Good to remember that David Nivin was the “real deal” - a Royal Marine Officer.

for me its ‘tin drum’ and ‘come and see’ not so much for visual effects but for the overall message that both films convey.

I had never heard of these movies - we in the US do not get exposed to so many European films. I “googled” them and will make an effort to see them.
Just saw a Chinese film-City of Life and Death- about the battle and “rape” of Nanking - I think they actually made an effort to be objective about the Japanese. Good graphics.

“Come and See” is a magnificent war, and yet anti-war, film unlike anything to come out of Hollywood, as well as depicting aspects of war time Soviet life and the Eastern front. The only thing that comes near it from Hollywood for impact is “Saving Private Ryan” but the subject matter and approaches can’t be compared. It’s also a stunning piece of film making by any standards. It’s one of the few videos I’ve bought and kept. Make sure you get a copy with English subtitles. Here’s a taste http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Ro0SZf438&feature=fvst

I haven’t seen “Tin Drum” but I’m guessing it’s based on Gunter Grass’s novel “The Tin Drum”, which was very popular in the sixties and seventies here in certain intellectual circles. Apparently I wasn’t sufficiently intellectual because it had the same dulling effect on me as Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and other intricately turgid fantasies (e.g. Watership Down) popular at the time, not to mention trying to wade through Patrick White’s dense novels which were also popular in the same circles. Here’s a summary of Grass’s novel http://www.enotes.com/tin-drum-criticism/tin-drum-grass-gunter . The film couldn’t be worse than the book.

nobody mentioned yet 10 force from navarone and great escape :slight_smile:
I quite like both of them,.

but my favorite are eagle has landed and tora tora for the classic, das Boot and cross of irons for the 80s and oto no - something about Yamato and the downfall for the modern day :slight_smile: