Favourite American President

You probably don’t feel this way now.

Well, I am/was too far away to get hurt by his politics.

We’ll second him out to you folks if you want him, be good for the EU cigar trade anyway. (Although the EU may end up with cigar related embarassments much as did the U.S. in the latter half of the 90’s :wink: )

Thanks, but no thanks! We had our share of Austrian politicians in the past.:wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rofl3.gif

The problem with choosing great men and women is that some have to respond to great circumstances and do it well, while others lack those opportunities to shine. Then again, the also-rans sometimes couldn’t shine in the dullest circumstances. And sometimes, as with Churchill’s performances in WWI and WWII, they do a lot better the second or third time around.

In my lifetime and from a view outside the US, JFK was far and away the best President, if only for his vision, oratory, and, when tested, his steadfastness in the Cuban missile crisis, but perhaps that merely reflects my early adolescent acceptance of the widespread view that he was the greatest thing to hit the world since the invention of sliced bread. My view may have been influenced subsequently by admiration for his outstanding and persistent personal courage in triumphing over his severely bad back by fcuking Marilyn Monroe, Judith Exner (who I think was more attractive than Marilyn) and countless others. :wink:

Outside my lifetime, FDR for his New Deal and his management of WWII. And as a footnote to FDR, Truman for his blunt, common sense assessments of how to end the war.

Lincoln is an interesting character. He overcame suicidal impulses and sundry mental disorders to rise to the Presidency. Unlike Bush II, who became visibly deranged only after he was elected and couldn’t remember where he was during the Vietnam War or explain sensibly why he was going into Iraq.

But among the also-rans we should not overlook the President with the cartoon character name, Millard Fillmore, who gets a bonus for being a member of the Know Nothings. He may have inspired Sergeant Schultz and a swag of modern politicians who know nothing about anything that is done by their people when it is inconvenient to know it, but who claim to know everything about everything else so that they can tell the rest of us what is good for us.

Except, of course, for the incidental fact that he was not an American President at all.

Well, he was from Buffalo… :slight_smile: Saw his grave at Forest Lawn not too long ago…

After relentlessly necro-exposing a former CSA reenactor’s admittedly lighthearted comment, teach me, what was he (even if not President of the USA)?

Ummmm, President of the Confederate States of America, lol, certainly not the USA. After the war, he supposedly fled to Mobile, Alabama. His last residence there was still in Mobile in the 1970s (I saw it) but may have mercifully blown away during a subsequent hurricane. I read somewhere that he entertained notions of taking a boat to South America as a number of his true believing compatriots did. Since the single underlying reason for the War Between the States was the right to own slaves, I accord him no honor whatsoever.

…still he was an American President.

I am in agreement with FTG on this, Jeff Davis may not have been a U.S. president, but he was an American President. Just as the Stars N’ Bars is not an official U.S. flag, but it is an official American flag.

BTW, I just learned that Georgia (the country, not the US state) declared Ronald Reagan their favourite president. He will be honoured with a bronze statue for his achievements in the downfall of the Soviet Union.
http://maestro.ge/?address=uc&id=27114&page=1

That sounds like a recent endorsement :army:

Actually I do not think the “Stars and Bars” was actually an official Confederate flag, but was rather a battle ensign…

The ‘Stars and Bars’ which was only 1 of at least 2 confederate flags most certainly has never been an ‘official American flag’ in any way shape or form and Jeff Davis’ name appears on no list of US presidents. He was a rebel who did his best to break up the United States.

The “Stars, and Bars” is often mistaken for the battle flag which is rightly called the “Southern Cross” and derives its cross from the Cross of St. Andrew, said to be because of the great number of Scots comprising the southern population. The stars equal the number of States in the confederacy with Missouri, and Kentucky added.
The Confederate National Flag is the Stars, and Bars, and was first used in the innauguration of Jefferson Finis Davis as President of the C.S.A. This flag was used in battle also, but caused confusion due to its close appearance to the Stars,and Stripes.
The confederacy changed their national flag twice, replacing it in May of 1863 with the “Stainless Banner” A small Southern cross in the upleft corner of an otherwise white flag. This was changed in March of 1865 to the 3rd National Flag, this differing from its predecessor by the addition of a red panel at the end 1/3 of the flag. this was added as the all white 2nd flag was thought to be a surrender flag. The Flags are pictured in order, with the Battle Flag beneath.

Stars,and Bars 1st. flag.gif

Southern Cross.gif

Stainless Banner.gif

3rd National flag.gif

I have already stated the Jeff Davis was not a U.S. President, nor have I painted him as a hero of any kind, only that he was, legitimately, or otherwise, an American President. This is purely a personal perspective on my part, though other folks may also share it. And as for the Flags of the Confederacy, see my previous post.

i like Barack obama