Found a possible ww2 gun

thanks for all of your help, even after the prank. we had no clue of any of this. in a way im glad i did what i did, im learning ALOT.

heres some info from his disscharge papers. ill scan them later but ive got to get directions for the scanner.

place of entry in to service: ft geo meade MD

civilian occupation and no: cloth stockman 8-51-01

education: grammar- 7 highschool- 1 collage-0

decorations and citations:
american theater service medal, asiatic pacific service medal with one bronze service star, philippine liberation service medal, good conduct medal, world war 2 victory metal.

date of seperation: 17 may 46

highest grade held: tec 5

military occupational specialty and no.: lineman telep & telg 238

no wounds received in action.

reasion and authority for spearation: conv of gov rr1-1 demobilization ar 615-365 15 dec 44

service schools attended: grad joint assant sig course fa sch 44

and under remarks: lapel button issued, asr score (2 sep 45) 28

personnel officer: ee davis 2nd lt inf vfm

Hi guyonthesofa,

I just received mail from Greg. He is saying that your great uncle shirt is also unique from another reason.
Above the right pocket there is a badge - something like a bird in a circle.
This badge is officially called “Honorable Discharge Insignia” and unofficially “Ruptured Duck”.

This badge entitled discharged soldier to wear his uniform for 90 days without being arrested by MP for illegal usage of US Army uniform.

He had 90 days to buy civvies!
Apparently it was not that easy in States in 1946, when millions of blokes wanted to buy them. Someone my correct me, but I think textiles were still restricted with coupon books.

Cheers,

Lancer44

heres the disscharge papers, there scans of scans the origionals are in a safe place. as soon as we can find the letter from the president ill post it to. what esb group with the 99th signal battalion be with? i know he changed groups sevral times ill try to get the others also.

can anybody id this jacket? or this mess tin?

hehe, im a garand-a-holic, thats my desk.

Wow, nice set up!

thanks, ive been a ww2 nut for a few years now. i started collecting when i was 18. it started with millsurp rifles with a sks and then i found garands. these pictures are old, i only had 2 garands back then lol. any one know what that single shot 22 is at the bottom. ive been told that it was a german training rifle from ww2 called a orkies or something like that but i cant find any other info. i did how ever found out that it was sold in 2 grades for 14 i beleve for the high grade like mine in the late 40s early 50s as millsurp. after the war some were sold as is for 10 i beleve and ones like mine had the stocks checkered and sold for more.

i guess i went overboard.

This has to be a troll! And an M-1 runs a grand? Ooof, that’s pretty steep.

you used to get a nice service grade for 500 from cmp but there all out. even when they were 500 you could turn around and sell it for 1000 at a gunshow the day after you recieved it. now that there out of good garands the price is going higher. i was offered 1700 for one of my correct winchesters at a shooting range a few months back i turned it down because ive probably got more than that in the gun making it correct.

hell, ive even got a NM garand with competition stickers from the 60s. and a winchester carbine with a mint stock. the nm is the one with the sticker, there running 2-3k now if i remember correctly. hard to tell what the carbines running for.

My first M1 Garand from the CMP program cost me $160 , the only draw back is it took over a year to receive back then. The two I got were an all original WWII Springfield and A WWII Winchester with a WWII dated springfield barrel. The prices for good CLEAN Garands and carbines is going thru the roof. I turned down $2500 for my 1-43 dated Carbine.

new finds, my dad came accross a bunch of medals and stuff of his including a wra 44 headstamped carbine round made in to a necklace. ill post those pictures later. you might find this interesting, it was a map that was folded in one of the little boxes. any one know what it is?

Well as far as I can make out I don’t think it’s directons to the Champs-Élysées.

Nice M1s there pal, I swapped a DK model with a mate a year back - it had taken me years to find the precise one I wanted :frowning: - and the D model I bought at the same time isn’t as accurate.
Or is it my eyesight that’s going ?

could have been a number of things, they are verry accurite rifles but more than likely the muzzle was wore out from cleaning. the problem is with the m1d is that the barrel is what the mount is screwed in to so if the barrels bad good luck finding a new origional one. theres repro barrels out there with mounts and rear hand guard for 230 bucks. if you want another m1d get that setup and a rack grade from cmp, it would not be origional but it would be a nice shooter m1d clone for cheap.

btw, whats Champs-Élysées. aint that in paris? if so i think ive found a lost peice of history, who knew the japs were gona attack paris lol. as far as i can tell that map is something near japan or the phillipines. ive got some friends at a jap resturant, one in particular who can rear both japanese and some phillipine stuff so ill see what he thinks next time i see him.

Cheers for the gen there GOTS, you’re right original Model D bbls are harder to find than rocking horse kak, but before I get a repro one I reckon I’ll recrown the muzzle.

The map is as you say fom the Top Secret plans to attack Paris, but they got the dates wrong and the original idea to move in on quatorzejuillet came unstuck when they found the place was shut.
Plan B, to act on Nostradamus’ predction that “in the year 2000 a flight of man-made birds will arrive from the East and destroy Paris,” went pear-shaped when Tojo became frustrated while trying to work out whether to use the Julian, Gregorian or Japanese lunisolar calendar, couldn’t remember if it was a leap-year and ended the planning meeting in a haze of saké and Geisha at the local so-plán.

The shirt is a chino most likely a 1941 pattern ,Yes it does have the Engineer Special Brigades patch he was a T/5 Tech 5 grade
The ribbons are from top left Good conduct (red with white stripes) ,Asiatic -Pacific Campaign with a bronze star for participation in the campaign ,
I am stumped on the Top right ribbon ,I have the same one too but I cant find anything on it
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (bottom left)
The last one is the World War II Victory ribbon
I cant see the rest of your photos in the post it shows that they are taken off
Hope this helps ,
Gut-

What other kit do you have?

“Royal Commando” ?
Dani, that site mis-identified the badge, it was used by Combined Operations troops which included soldiers, sailors and airmen.

It’s still in use by 148 (Meiktla) Bty RA, (the NGS unit.)

The map centers on Thailand (Siam, orange), but also shows French Indochina (pink, today thre countries, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia) plus a bit of Burma. It is marked in Japanese.

Jan

I thought you fuckin serious!!