German Armor/Vehicles/Weapons Used By Other Nationalities

Watched on youtube how they escavated T-34 with wermacht cross on it from some lake. Also one film showing discovering of FW-190 too.

The StG 44 was used by some eastern European and South American countries for a long time (ammo for it was made in S America) and it stayed in the Yugoslav inventory until the 1980s, I think.

As always, you are absolutely correct, my dear Mr. Williams – not only that those legendary assault guns Maschinenpistole 43/ Sturmgewehr 44 were kept within regular inventory of the paratrooper units of the Yugoslav People’s Army (JNA), but in 1982 they actually were transferred to certain units of so called Territorial Defence (I think that the US equivalent for those units is National Guard).

Unfortunately, official army snapshots connected with this weapon are not so abundant, but luckily I was able to find one that was taken back in 1966 and published in the official army paper “Front”:

Maschinenpistole 43/ Sturmgewehr 44 within the regular units of the Yugoslav People’s Army, 1966

Unmodified (7.92X33) ammunition for these assault rifles was also produced in limited amounts within the “Prvi Partizan”, state-governed ammunition factory in Uzice.

Bf-s were used in number of countries after the world war2. It was still beeing produced by Hispano Suiza in Spain and in Czech republic after the war. In fact one of first fighters of Israel were czech version of Bf-109-s. Also were still used in some numbers after the war in Yugoslavia,Turkey,Switzerland,…

Absolutely correct, my dear Mr. Martin – furthermore, some… well, large and sophisticated weapon systems of the German origin, if I may say so, were also used by Yugoslav People’s Army. For example, do you recognize this type of aircraft? Believe it or not, it was in active use within JRV (Yugoslav Air Force) in late forties! :slight_smile:

Mysterious product of the Junkers Flugzeugwerke contained by YAF, 1946

well, even the german bundeswehr thought over to use the old StgW 44 in the mid 50`s, I have just received a book about the bundeswehr armament.

jens

what book is that?

on the tanks in marshes, there is a show on in the states were they restore tanks. one episode shows a panther pulled out of a bog in poland and the work to restore it to new condition.

I am absolutely not surprised with aforesaid official contemplations, my dear Mr. Flammpanzer – Yugoslav People’s Army paratroopers were indeed wery impressed with the MP 44 assault rifle too. The sight profile was always highly visible, target acquisition was extraordinary, the weapon’s mechanism functioned smoothly, recoil was completely controllable, and the production quality of the weapon was noteworthy - after a number of years in active service, there were absolutely no signs of material deterioration, especially no signs of outer corrosion, cracks or fractures on barrel. :slight_smile:

But as you know, my dear Mr. Flammpanzer, I do have a certain preference toward bigger mechanical “items”. Therefore here you have another example of the Junkers aircraft works airplane family that was intensively used by the Yugoslav Air Force (Jugoslovensko Ratno Vazduhoplovstvo) – a still living legend of the skies, good old Tante Ju (Auntie Ju)!

Junkers Ju 52/3m, YAF – 1954

Two Junkers Ju 52/3m transporters were actually captured by the Yugoslav Partisans – one of them in October of 1944, and the next one in April of 1945. Additionally, six AAC.1 Toucans (French-built variant of the Junkers Ju 52/3m) were attained from France in 1947, giving a total of eight aircrafts used by 677 Transport Aviation Squadron for the transport role.

Junkers Ju 52/3m, YAF - 1954

They were withdrawn from active service in 1964 and transferred to the Aeronautical Union of Yugoslavia (Vazduhoplovni Savez Jugoslavije) - an active member of International Aeronautical Federation (FAI) since 1952, and the legal succesor of the Royal Aeroclub of Yugoslavia, member of the FAI since 1922.

Tante Ju used by Aeronautical Union of Yugoslavia, 1967

With these photos we wish to pay our sincere respects for all those beautiful years of trustworthy service to the Old Lady! :slight_smile:

Of course, the following pictures are representing our old “heavy metal” acquaintances, therefore additional explanations will be completely superfluous:

PzKpfw II – Yugoslav Army, 1945

PzKpfw 38 (t) – Yugoslav Army, 1945

StuG III – Yugoslav Army, 1945

StuG III – Yugoslav Army, 1945

And no, honorable ladies and gentlemen, I am assuring you that these examples are not unaccompanied ones! :wink:

In the meantime, as always – all the best!

Fantastic! Like the second last photo. I wonder how many people fell off these things.

looking for more pictures

looking for more pictures

what book is that?

it is MODERNE HANDWAFFEN DER BUNDESWEHR from rolf abresch and ralph wilhelm, REPORT VERLAG. ISBN: 3-932385-10-1. it can be aquired quite cheap, because the report verlag has some special prices right now, I think it was about 8 euros new. 142 pages and a lot of beautiful color-pictures beside some very informative texts - in german. I can only recommend it to all modern german army buffs. there are also some other highly adorable books out of that series, like DAS HEER IM EINSATZ.

jens

wow, great pics! maybe this would have also suited to “my” thread about german weapons in foreign armies.

jens

Agreed. They are great pics.

And Koen, please don’t take this personally as I really enjoy your contributions to this site and your wealth of great pics. But I just don’t think we need a thread for every subset of Panther tank photos…

But I do love the Panther tank, and pictures of it…

ok, the only issue that I have is that I have to search for the right location to put them…

I do believe that (more) subboards would be a great feature.

But for now I’ll post some more pics :mrgreen:

The MG42 is still the standard MG in Denmark (and I think in Germany), only it is produced post war called MG2 or MG3, with the only change being a safely lock not in the original design. It has proved difficult to improve on the MG42.

The Ju 52 was in Swiss AF sevice to 1981

It’s called MG3 and they changed not only the ‘safty lock’ (Verschluss), so the hot gasses wont get into the gunners face, but they also changed the calibre to the NATO standard 7,62x51mm and the cadence. They also changed some visual things, the bi-pod, barrel and stuff (i never dissassembled a real MG42, so i don’t know the exact differencys!)

Golan Heights

Syrian Jgdpz

Russian Drilling

Happy russians (because they have a Zündapp) and a CZ Militant

Even more happy russians (because they have a Steyr LKW), note the SS Plate

US soldiers battle back with an 88mm gun:

A Panther tank pressed into US service presumably during the Battle of the Bulge:

The Red Army also maintained squadrons of captured Panther tanks just as the Germans used their T-34s:

Also the British Panthers of the Cold Stream Guards (center):

(courtesy of Achtungpanzer.com

sovpanth.jpg

cuckoo_1.jpg

Excellent pictures, my dear gentlemen! In the meantime I have successfully acquired some additional rarities connected with our contemporary theme as well.

First of all, here you have another, highly appreciated and truly uncommon example of the Junkers airplane family incorporated into the YAF – the Junkers W 34, captured by Yugoslav partisans on September 23rd, 1944 near Banja Luka. This airplane faithfully served the new owners until 1959.

Junkers W 34 in Yugoslav service, Batajnica - 1952

The feared and respected. 8,8cm FLAK 18/36 was esteemed trophy of YPA too. These examples, revealed during the Victory parade in Belgrade (October 1945), created the very backbone of the Yugoslav Air Defense Forces, being adored so much that actually they enthusiastically served within different national forces even throughout the sorrowful Yugoslav civil war years. What a career!

8,8 cm Flak 18/36 in Yugoslav service, Belgrade, October 1945

8,8 cm Flak 18/36 towed by a Czech built CKD Praga T 9 (Praga TH 6) heavy tracked haulers, Belgrade, october 1945.

Of course, anti-tank units were highly dependant upon well-known German PaK patterns, and PaK 40was in normal YPA AT inventory up to late fifties as well.

PaK 40, YPA - 1949

It is a well known fact that German companies produced the M 1935 helmetfor foreign export prior to WW II, but it is almost completely unknown that Yugoslav People’s Army used original German – made helmets until 1956 (more than 150 000 peaces were officially issued !) as a standardized component of the personal combat equipment within different army branches (mainly dispersed amongst infantry, sapper and artillery units).

YPA’s infantry with the original Wehrmacht helmets – vicinity of Koprivnica, 1953.

Please note that almost unbelievable combination – German helmets, standardized Yugoslavian manufactured K98 rifles (known as M 48) and US Sherman M4A3-E4 (76mm) tanks! :shock:

Therefore no, honourable ladies and gentlemen, these soldiers are not the members of the Wehrmacht or the SS, but Yugoslav conscripts photographed in 1953 after the conclusion of a most important post-WW2 YPA manoeuvre called Sloga (Amity) 53. :smiley:

YPA conscripts equipped with the M 1935 helmets, 1953

Well, that’s all for today. I think that additional photographic evidence in relation to other examples of the German military equipment within Yugoslav People’s Army will be accessible wery soon. :wink:

Till then, as always – all the best!

The chinese also got german helmets.

Good Morning :wink: