German Paratroopers

Better than a bolt-action carbine/rifle or an SMG, FFS - hell, most of the non-communist world was armed with lightweight, select-fire (or semi-auto only) rifles firing full-power cartridges with 20rd magazines (FAL, G3, M14 etc) for many years.

Well the FG-42 was effective and pretty accurate in close range, but was aweful for long range.

Clauss, did you read 2nd’s post ?

If you’ve got to carry it you don’t want it all spent too fast.

To quote and then butcher Voltaire in 1785:
“God is on the side not of the big battalions, but of the best shots.”

A modern translation might read:
“Victory is not with those who shoot most, but with those that destroy their targets with the fewest rounds”

Why? It fires a full-power rifle cartridge and is reportedly pretty accurate. Even has a bipod!

:shock:
Where did this gem come from ?

What do you define as close and long ranges Cdo ?

Where did this gem come from ?[/quote]

probably from wherever Frionscam got his “information” from - it’s very Ferrousesque “thinking outside the box”…

What do you define as close and long ranges Cdo ?[/quote]

Well…Rifles are designed for accuracy to hit at a precise distance Cuts mate,
a close range rifle, depending on what type of gun and its model, and the length the bullet will go, A short Range ww2 Rifle would be no more then 500 meters as a short range military rifle, capable of controlled, fully-automatic fire from the shoulder, with an effective range of at least 300 metres.
Long Range, as I said depends on the Ammunition and Weapon you are using , different long range rifles and automatics go different differences over 500 meters.

What do you define as close and long ranges Cdo ?[/quote]

Well…Rifles are designed for accuracy to hit at a precise distance Cuts mate,
a close range rifle, depending on what type of gun and its model, and the length the bullet will go, A short Range ww2 Rifle would be no more then 500 meters as a short range military rifle, capable of controlled, fully-automatic fire from the shoulder, with an effective range of at least 300 metres.
Long Range, as I said depends on the Ammunition and Weapon you are using , different long range rifles and automatics go different differences over 500 meters.[/quote]

Oh dear, looks like it is here we go again!

Sorry, but that really doesn’t make much sense (neither gramatically or content-wise), and I’ve been reading JapoEngrish all day.

I think what he is meaning is that diffrent diffrences will be diffrent over differing diffrences, that is of course depending on the differential diffrence between the differing diffrences.

All clear?

I fear you may well be right.

Ho-hum…

Guys, at least you could stick to what Man of Stoat says…
http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14819#14819
Don’t you agree?

Fair one Dani, please delete this and the post above.

Clauss, did you read 2nd’s post ?

If you’ve got to carry it you don’t want it all spent too fast.

To quote and then butcher Voltaire in 1785:
“God is on the side not of the big battalions, but of the best shots.”

A modern translation might read:
“Victory is not with those who shoot most, but with those that destroy their targets with the fewest rounds”[/quote]

Yes i read 2nd post ,for this was i wrote thats not from adress thats from my head ,and fool know then the best for paratroopers to have powerfull guns.

probably from wherever Frionscam got his “information” from - it’s very Ferrousesque “thinking outside the box”…[/quote]

that tidbit is from a ww2 weapons book i have. i think its reasonable. the gun was too light for 8mm full auto. other problem was the excessive muzzle flash, making it a bad sniper weapon.

probably from wherever Frionscam got his “information” from - it’s very Ferrousesque “thinking outside the box”…[/quote]

that tidbit is from a ww2 weapons book i have. i think its reasonable. the gun was too light for 8mm full auto. other problem was the excessive muzzle flash, making it a bad sniper weapon.[/quote]

Do you have the name and author of the book to hand ? The ISBN would be helpful too.

Hosenfield you are asked to indicate the author and title (if you couldn’t provide the ISBN)

I’m sorry chum, I don’t understand what you mean.
Could you re-phrase it please ?

If it’s too light for the 7.92 rd then it’s definitely not a “semi-auto carbine” !

The first model FG was approx 4.4 kg, the second a tad over 5 kg.
That’s the same or greater than the FAL, I don’t think FN designed their wpn as a “semi-automatic carbine.”