Granate HL 39

Regarding a manual this special shell was made for the eastern front.
A tank alone was lost - so the russians placed a platoon on every tank.
This HL shell didnt only stop the tank but sweeps of the infantry off, too.
Beneath the armour piercing ability a hail of fragments and a blast was produced at the impact. A special purpose shell to stop the tank riding russians.

Interesting, thanks. I read in the book “KV-1, KV-2 heavy tanks” by S Zaloga than the first use of this was in the short Kwk 37 75mm L24 gun and was introduced by may 1942. I have no data of the penetration however.

That does show some thoughful planning, very specialized indeed. The finned tail boom became the standard method of stabilizing for the shaped charge round, as did the loose fitting obturator band. (when used in rifled guns)

notworthy.gif

Hello,

here is a speciem of an early trial IGr 38 for the 7,5 cm Infanterigeschütz.
It is modified with a zinc nose cone screwed in the shell body fixing the shaped charge cone inside and holding the AZ 38 ( Impact fuze 38). These zinc cones couldt be cast in such precision that only minor machining was nessessary- later a drawn sheet metal cone ( steel) was used.
Interesting is the “free” rotating driving band fixed by some shear wires, wich sheared of when the shell was fired. For AT pupose a tracer element was screwed in the base of the shell.
This type later was introduced for Infantery guns, because the front trenches where overrun and so the gun crew need an effective AT shell.

Interesting is the “free” rotating driving band fixed by some shear wires, wich sheared of when the shell was fired

Weird, I f the rotating movement was not translated to the bullet and if it have not fins…I wonder how you stabilizate that ?

Here a cut of the Kwk 37 75mm shell.

May be shear wire construction gave a rudimental rotation to the shell befor shear off. Enouth to stabilize but didnt disturb the jet stream.

Here is a 75 mm experimentel shell with fins. The fins are spring loaded and pop out after passing the muzzle- The shells warhead was used at the Panzerblitz AT aircraft rockets too. An attempt to use ammunition parts on several different purposes.The fuse is a slightly modified Panzerschreck rocketfuze.

May be shear wire construction gave a rudimental rotation to the shell befor shear off. Enouth to stabilize but didnt disturb the jet stream.

That is a posibility, however I dont think that system would be very accurate.

Here is a 75 mm experimentel shell with fins. The fins are spring loaded and pop out after passing the muzzle-

Beautiful, so many models :mrgreen:, thanks for the picture.