Grandparent's/Parent's Military Profession/Occupation During WW2

Melvin Hill 32nd Infantry

Ive been to Okinawa… I wonder if i went to the same location your father was…

Major Walter Schmidt,

Thanks for the help....I'll try it and let you know how I do... :)  I am becoming somewhat more computer literate.  One step at a time, I guess!

Thanks again.

Major Schmidt,
My Father was in the Southern end of Okinawa and was wounded near Shuri. Here are some pictures (if I post them corrrectly) of my Dad’s troop on the slop of the hill he was wounded on, then an arial of what the area looked like back then (1945), and then a picture taken in 1985 of the same area. Was this near the area you visited when you were in Okinawa?

PreparingAssaultDickHill.jpg

Okinawa4.jpg

Mr. Hill (Moreheaddriller),
Were you in the 32nd Infantry back when it fought in WWII (the New Guinea Campaign, Philippines and Battle of Lazon) or are you currently a member of the newly formed (in 1967 from the deactivated 32nd) 32nd Infantry Brigade?

I think morehead is still in high school. You can click on moniker and go to each members profile. Most people put some info about themselves on there…

no my great grandpa was though

Moreheaddriller,
Which campaigns did he fight in?

Not sure but ill ask my dad today he’s bound to know

My Great Uncle on Moms side was OSS her father Bomb Squad he was a combat enginer in WWI (meaning he dug trenches), My Grandfather an Officer in The BRO, his brother an enlisted man in the texas 36th DIV (wounded Monte Casion DOW 1958), and my Grandfathers Brother inlaw was a CRAF pilot (Crashed in the Channel tipping V-1’s DOW 1956) , and my Aussie relatives I havent researched them yet, here is a Photo of my Grandfather and one of his men Pvt Filberton the tankers jacket he is wearing belonged to my Grandfather he gave it to Filberton because he had no warm clothes. Notice the lack of winter gear 2nd bat 16th IR didnt recive winter equipment exept a few items, Notice standard rubber overshoes and wool pants some men aquiered tankers pants but for the most part they had a large mix of early equiptment ranging from 1939 issue to 1943 issue.The photo was taken in Schoppen after they took the town during a blizzard they caught the germans asleep in their barracs, The TD belogs to the 634th TD bat.
](http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1ok9H9)[/IMG]

Not exactly parents/grandparents but I was lucky enough to discover this one today in my grandmother’s living room cupboard:

My grand-uncle Arnold (upper row right in the center, killed December 1941) with comrades of the 90th Light Africa-Divison in Libya, 1941, wearing DAK uniform including the unpopular tropical helmet and the common odd-looking high tropical boots.

Hi Flame,
Is he the one of your relatives that was killed when ship was torpedoed?

Right, that’s him.

my grandfather served on the battleship massachusetts during the war.he always told me the story of the battle with the jean bart a vichy french battleship in operation torch in 1942.he told me they blew a hole as large as a truck in her side.i should also mention the jean bart was tied up at dock at the time. my other grandfather served on a lst (large slow target)in the south pacific.he never talked about it.

My grandfather was in the 5th pioneer battalion, 5th Marine Division. He survived the battle of Iwo Jima, and served with the occupation forces in Sasebo Japan after the war.

Neither of my grandparents were old enough to fight, in the war (luckily for them, if you ask me), but i know that at least three of my grand-uncles were Fallschirmjaeger (German paratroopers).

They all survived the war, with one having spent most of the time in the hospital after being heavily wounded by a grenade in Poland.

Another one was a Oberfeldwebel (translation?) at the eastern front, awarded with a War Merit Medal sadly he died before I ever gained real interest in the war.

About the last one I know almost nothing other than the fact that he was a Fallschirmjaeger and was awarded a War Merit Medal, too.

My Great-Grandfather was killed in France, 1944 when the ammo-train he guarded was bombed.

I am in fact going to try to squeeze some more information out of my grand-uncles/their wives this summer when I visit them. Wish me luck ^^

My maternal grandfather was a fireman in Middlesbrough he was rejected for military service because he had had tuberculosis as a teenager but he managed to serve six years as a fireman.

My paternal grandfather worked on the docks in Liverpool, he always told me he never went into an air raid shelter when the bombs started falling because he used to get claustrophobic.

I have this on here somewhere else.
after my dad took off for the war my mom worked for a year in a factory that built the P-47 thunderbolt engine. a year later she transferred to a larger plant that built the B-25 mitchell bomber. this plant is still there today and turns out cars for GM. in fairfax ks
her dad, my late grand dad, was a supervisor in a munitions plant. lake city arsenal. yeah its still there today to, still making bullets.

Yeah, that plant probably won’t survive for long, considering it’s GM :mrgreen:

This on the other hand…:wink:

My Grand father was a infantryman in the Lancashire fusilier, during ww1 and my day was a anti tank man in the Duke of Wellington Reg, both him and his brother a morter man with the Devon and Dorset went ashore on D day as I recall. He had a lovely bullet wound right through him from action around Falaise