How much spare ammo is carried?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOddZhT1S1U

There’s some which are legal to use, but not the one they were using in the video. That one’s a lot more modern. :smiley:

I was hoping for a non-movie one ^^

Why? Don’t you think what you see in movies is real? :rolleyes: :smiley:

Although G.E. builds mini’s, that Mini-gun is owned by Mr. Dillon of the Dillon corp.(they also manufacture mini’s,) and in this case was fired on the Dillon range.It has also been featured on episodes of Monster Garage, Future weapons, and some other shows.
There are no military types there, only technical support people, and (most likely,) Mr, Dillon. they are firing 100% trace so it makes a good show.
There are a small number of mini’s in private hands, but they are expensive to buy. (and feed)

The U.S. version of the Hesh round is(was in the 70’s) called the HEP (high explosive, plastic) it worked as the hesh does, but had no mesh container within the projectile casing. It was the officially preferred round for bunkers, but the heat, being a large, and unfriendly shaped charge could be used against non, or thin concrete bunkers with good results. For thicker concrete structures, the HEP was still better as its design cause it to form a very strained shockwave through the concrete, blowing hopefully large, and lethal chunks off of the inside surface of the wall it impacts (Spalling) It was capable to a degree, of doing this when applied to armor as well.

In Vietnam the enemy bunkers were generally field earthworks. Reinforcement was pretty much limited to timber, mostly from local trees etc, much like Japanese bunkers in WWII.

I think that HEAT might have been the appropriate round as HESH / HEP type rounds mightn’t have had enough solid structure to apply the spalling force to.

True, the log dirt type bunker was best taken by a shaped charge,think I said that, but Charlie liked the RPG for bunkers, and we had the LAW which would be good for that. (If it worked) and a 105 heat round was always available from your friendly neighborhood tanker’s problem solving kit. (Its the easiest round to find, looks like a whisky bottle,)

You did say that, but I mistook it on a quick read for a reference to non-concrete bunkers.

Which, oddly enough, would include earth and log bunkers. Sorry. :oops:

The bunkers I saw in RVN were a long ways from any roads or tracks which would enable anything bigger than a 3.5 or a LAW.

3.5s were generally unavailable to conventional troops and LAWs, while effective were very unreliable.

You had to flank bunkers if possible and assault them which was not a great idea.

A much better idea was to use any artillery or air support you could get.

I worked with CIDG and we had few resources of that kind.

We surprised some guys in a bunker once and 5 guys in it ran out hands up.

My Cambodes shot them like dogs. Quite understandable from their point of view.

As advisors we had to take a back seat to some goings on.

No need to be sorry, I really wasnt sure i had mentioned that, Senior moment, anyway Piper!! up spirits!! :slight_smile:

Senior moment is the gentle term. Realists call them CRAFT moments (Can’t Remember A Fucking Thing). :smiley:

What’s CIDG?

And here, at about 3:33 mins:secs, is what looks very much like an Owen gun in (Commonwealth Film Unit propaganda / morale boosting / historical / whatever) film of Australians in Vietnam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pUNkD7CZ-o&feature=related

I love the way a bit after that scene how Australian artillery is dropped into a bare field in supposeldy hot support action by the US Chinooks and then the artillery is seen, supposedly moments later, doing fire plots in an established camp. Boy, could the Aussies perform miracles in moments! :rolleyes:

I am very fond of the comment about the American general refusing to accept the change of name of the 4/19 Prince of Wales Light Horse (in which I served) to 1 APC etc by insisting that that they “lend tone to his outfit” and then referring them as the King George III Light (or, even better, White - I can’t be sure) Horse. (I assume this was a delightfully ironic reference to the King who caused and lost the American War of Independence, or maybe the American general thought he had promoted the unit. :smiley: )

OMG! LOL! Did he go on to advise George W. Bush?

I think it may mean Civilian Irregular Defence Group.

More on the Owen in Vietnam.

Only had a short life in Vietnam. They were carried by Platoon Commanders, Forward Scouts and Stretcher Bearers among others. They remained with us until October 1966. There were no real problems with the weapon; it was the ammunition that failed. I think there were several attempts to prove that the gun/ammo was no longer suitable and should be replaced with many more 5.56 weapons. Success finally came when the Armourers provided copies of a formal instruction that the weapons were not to be test fired with any ammo older than 1954. The only rounds that the Battalion could get for operations were made in the early 1940’s. Bye-bye OMC’s, hello AR 16’s.
My bold http://www.5rar.asn.au/narrative/memoirs.htm

The Owen wasn’t the only WWII weapon to serve with the Australians in Vietnam.

The move into Nui Dat, part of Operation Hardihood, saw us picking up all of our faithful weapons and walking into the rubber trees. It was here that I became aware that one of the Company Quarter Master Sergeants (CQMS), Lofty Cunningham from Support Company, had brought along an old friend of his from a previous affair (or marriage, I’m not quite sure.) Yes, Lofty decided that we needed at least one .303 Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) that he had used in Korea. I told him we could look after it provided he had the ammunition. So unknowingly we became the last Infantry Battalion to carry Owen Sub Machine Carbines and .303 SMLE rifles into war.
Same link

Hah!

My memory proves that sustained use of alcohol preserves the brain just fine!

It must suck to be a teetotaller! :smiley:

The greatest weakness of the SLR was that the ammunition was heavy and that, in very bad times, the re-supply was by ammo packed in boxes and there was no quick way of loading them into a magazine. During the battle of Long Tan, all the 5 RAR Armourers were on the helipad loading 15 rounds into extra magazines that were then pushed out of a helicopter into the D Company 6 RAR site. The original FN version had a bridge over the body that allowed for magazine filling from rounds held in clips. The Australian made version did not.
http://www.5rar.asn.au/narrative/memoirs.htm

[quote=“Rising_Sun”]

Hah!

My memory proves that sustained use of alcohol preserves the brain just fine!

It must suck to be a teetotaller! :smiley:

The greatest weakness of the SLR was that the ammunition was heavy and that, in very bad times, the re-supply was by ammo packed in boxes and there was no quick way of loading them into a magazine. During the battle of Long Tan, all the 5 RAR Armourers were on the helipad loading 15 rounds into extra magazines that were then pushed out of a helicopter into the D Company 6 RAR site. The original FN version had a bridge over the body that allowed for magazine filling from rounds held in clips. The Australian made version did not.

http://www.5rar.asn.au/narrative/memoirs.htm[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say this pal but perhaps you should have a word with 'er indoors - I think she’s been putting some alcohol-free liquid, (eg Fosters,) in your VB bottles !

There was indeed an Aussie guide for the five rd chargers, made of steel and coated with a proprietary material called Nylon 11, though I don’t think six charger guides equals the Remington rimfire… :wink:
The coating was slick in order to expedite loading and non-reflective.

I’d imagine that the mags at Long Tan were pre-loaded at the HLS mainly to ensure the Diggers didn’t have to charge their own while in contact, and that the mags, (SLR mags being more robust than those of the FAL,) would protect the rds which otherwise might get damaged in the free drop/helicast.

The bandolier below is Aussie, marked: AUST/ MKI CPI N 6/67 the year after Long Tan.
You’ll find it here.
However the charger guide looks more like the Brit one than the Australian guides I’ve seen, although that’s not to say that other models weren’t in use.
Just not at your unit. :smiley:

If I’ve got any photos of the Aussie ones I’ll get them scanned in.

Given that we did our M113 drills out of trucks and Land Rovers, my unit’s few M113s being reserved for more important tasks (and more important people) that’s entirely possible. :smiley:

It’s also possible that our leadership thought that chargers were too technologically challenging for us. :slight_smile:

Not for nothing were M113’s at times called “Prayer Wagons” . . . am told NZ commissioned type august persons tended to reserve the APCs for officers to use . . . resulting in said “Prayers” that charlie had managed to line up his sights on one that was occupied by the aforementioned august personage(s).

The other application for the term “Prayer Wagon” being that one did not have a chance of surviving the experience if one’s APC were hit by an rpg: i.e.“Not a Prayer”.

I don’t know that any Kiwi APCs were actually knocked out while so-occupied though.

Regards, Uyraell.