Infantry Flamethrowers

Thank you for the info, Flammpanzer! That clears up a minor mystery for me. I’d still love to see a scale drawing, though, if anybody has one…

I’ve hear of the abwehrflammenwerfer but had never seen one before. Great pics and info.

Brian

It is a little known fact that the flame oil was poisenous. It was a chemical cocktail, even the plain unburning oil was very uncomfortable on the skin and
the burning oil produce fumes very similar to Lachrematory.
We spend a lot time developing special sorts of flame oils.
A special tactic was to soke the target with some strokes of unignited oil and the send a final burning flame stroke, these produce flame oil vapor wich gave an explosion.

Anyone by chance have a translation for the disposable flame thrower to English?

Brian

hey guys and flame-aficiandos!

check out this auction! if I had some money left over, this would give a nice decoration. :smiley:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=1702744

by the way, he ships worldwide … (and: I am not the seller).

jens

… and, anther nice film I found prowling on youtube. the flamethrowers appear in the mid of the clip and they have nothing to do with the original weapons (just look at the hoses that are pulled behind the stormtrooper), but I think this gives an imagination of how the flamethrowers spread terror in the early stages of war, when the enemy did not much about them. this might explain why the belgians and french did not shoot at once. the germans made a lot of use of their flame-devices (especially during the Sommeroffensive in 1918) and the french also used them in numbers. the british had their experiences after capturing german models but soon dropped the idea of portable ones. they relied on stationary defence-models (compare: Flammenwerfer des deutschen Heeres bis 1945 von Fred Koch).

and, anyway, I think this short film is made well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-3BNnbV_o

jens

Good footage !

Wich is the name of the movie?

well, I am not sure, but I think it is a short episode from the 80s movies that were called “The Indy Jones Chronicles” or something like that. maybe a more informed user knows something about it.

jens

well, I am not sure, but I think it is a short episode from the 80s movies that were called “Indy Jones Chronicles” or something like that. maybe a more informed user knows something about it.

jens

Didnt Dragon make an action figure of a flamethrower-guy?

now im not sure but were there any jap flametrowers

yep, there were. they had at least one portable model and also some (few) tanks with flame-projectors. in the beginning of the war, when the offensive was on the schedule, they made use of these weapons, but later on when they almost had a defensive role, these weapons lost their value for them I guess. anyway, I saw some infos on the jap flamethrowers in the smithonian institute in washington and as far as I remember, even the japanese used them until the end of the war - but not in that intensive way the marine corps did.

here is some info on the type 93.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/japanese-flamethrower-type-93.html

jens

Thanks for the info

you are welcome! and here, finally, a picture from the japanese flamethrower in action. it is an attack on australian troops in a pillbox. no date.

jens

Jap Flame Attack.png

an here a picture of a waffen-ss sturmtrupp with flammenwerfer 35.

jens

Waffen SS Flame.jpg

and another one showing a waffen-ss-sturmtrupp preparing for an attack. they use a flammenwerfer 35. (maybe in the balkans).

jens

111.jpg

and at leat a rare photo of a training-ground, probably in northern germany. note the odd sign in the background. the flamethrower is the type “Kleiner verbesserter Flammenwerfer or Flammenwerfer 40” - “Small imporved Flamethrower or Flamethrower 40”. it was used in smaller numbers than the other types (34/35 or 41) but still was widespread among the german troops.

jens

222.jpg

this would also fit in the “funny wehrmacht pic thread” … :smiley:

jens

333.jpg