Is It Too Late For England

It’s clearly a parody.

Take, for example, the claim that the Romans NEVER interfered with the local religions, and any and all gods were allowed in the colonies. This breathtakingly wrong opinion completely ignores the local and empire wide persecution of Christians over a few centuries, not to mention Pilate, as Roman governor of Jerusalem, sentencing Christ to death.

Take, for example, the claim that there was little rebellion. What utter nonsense. How about the three Jewish revolts, including the Great Revolt; Boadicea revolting against the Romans in Britain; the German Hermann Cherusci who defeated the Romans at the Battle of Teutorburgerwald; Vercingetorix’s revolt in Gaul, and countless other revolts across the Roman Empire. Hasn’t the author ever heard of Spartacus?

Of course, the other possibility is that’s it’s not an intentional paradoy but it’s been written by an ignoramus who has no idea what he’s talking about, in which case it’s even funnier. And the arguments it makes are even more absurd.

Not to mention the medieval serf being less free than Roman slaves…

Bit by bit, inch by inch, our rights will disappear. First our guns. .

I really like this part…before we know it some wacky country’s will be trying to ban kits cause they are to dangerous or knives…naw…that will never happen hilarious.

Roman religion was not exclusive. It co-existed with local pre-Roman cults, with empire-wide imported cults (eg Mithraism), and with individual superstitions and belief in magic.

Roman authorities were tolerant of other religions if they didn’t threaten public order or Roman control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/romans/roman_religion_gallery.shtml

And here I had it backwards…

right2keep.jpg

That’s not what the article you posted earlier said.

So far as Christians were concerned, it’s also wrong.

The early Christians who so frightened the Romans were the peaceniks of their day. They didn’t threaten anything. All they did was refuse to conform to the state religion.

Roman authority couldn’t abide them because they wouldn’t acknowledge the Roman gods or perform Caesar worship, because they acknowledged only their own god. It was the exact opposite of the tolerance for all religions asserted in the article.

:smiley:

Fortunately the Second Amendment doesn’t say that the right is to arm asses (in the sense of an ass being a donkey) or you’d have it ass backwards. :wink:

Bass Ackwards in polite company,

Ask PK if I’m polite, or company. :smiley:

You mean like Christians?

They were tolerant as long as the religions lent themselves to the status quo…

And these are a mere recycling of the “Romans fell because they were immoral” arguments recited by the religious right, basically ignoring the fact that the Romans had always had a much different concept of morality than we did regarding sexuality and the value of life. These historically ignorant pieces also conveniently leave out that the Romans converted to Christianity before the final fall of the Western Empire…

And the “Roman religion” was essentially just a copy of the Greek religion and pantheon of gods…

Well…I guess you cant make a country to safe, maybe we can even pad lampposts next. OH WAIT…its already being done.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/padded-lampposts-for-distracted-texters-being-tested-in-london/
LOL…Yes its to late. :slight_smile:

And heres me thinking Rome was a Slaveocracy? Also, we shouldnt really project our values onto the Romans, Rome lasted much longer than any Western power has since.

The test lampposts will be given a trial run in London’s East End on Brick Lane. If the trial is successful it will be rolled out in Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool."

“The study claims that 68,000 people were injured in the U.K. last year while chatting or texting on their cell phone, Infomatics reports.”

Well, it’s clearly apparent that you can make a country too gullible - and that you come from such a country! Funnily enough when you go to the website of the charity allegedly running this there’s no mention of this project.
Muppet!

http://www.livingstreets.org.uk/

Here is what is being reported by a couple other sources.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335896,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=525785&in_page_id=1770#StartComments

I think bubble wrap would be cheaper…
Richard cranium

Notice all the advertising on the pads? It’s a publicity stunt, not a safety thing, and the charity in your previous post aren’t involved at all.

“The study claims that 68,000 people were injured in the U.K. last year while chatting or texting on their cell phone, Infomatics reports.”

Following the old british line of thinking the lamppost or the cell phones should be banned then :rolleyes:

Now…seriously is amazing what did happen in those countries and how the citizens has been violated once again.

Like probably all now I am not a fan of the british people, but as gun owner myself I felt that every law abbiding gun owner in the planet as my brother, and is really worring and sad when the people of britain and Australia are deprived of its rights like this and attacked by the ignorants, the antigun maniacs and the freedom haters. Specially in a country wich such long tradition of fine gunmaking like England.

One might be tempted to be condescendent in that matter, but I am pretty sure that even here in Argentina there is some twisted minds that are working in such evil projects right now.

Seeing the mess of the unlawful laws edited in other countries ( and we are talking about the at list teorically democratic ones) one just cant overestimate the value of the U.S constitution second amendment, " the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.".

The beauty of that words are simple beyond description and is one of the few things that I actually envy of U.S.A.

LOL I think Fox is getting to the journalistic credibility of www.onion.com

LOL After writing that, I saw this: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/wii_video_games_blamed_for_rise_in :smiley:

Panzerknacker sees the big picture, Britain is becoming know as the Nanny state…but what really amazes me are the people who are getting down on their knees and accepting it, as evident from some of the posters on this thread. What’s next…banning glass in bars so the drunkards are safer? Naw…that will never happen, RIGHT?

<Shrugs> I spent the weekend wandering around the countryside with an assault rifle. The gun ban has never really bothered me - remember that the UK is an insanely crowded place and there really isn’t anywhere you can shoot anything bigger than a .22 safely outside some bits of Scotland…