Ladies and Gentlemen: Why Heintje is still Famous

Vinyl is the audiophile rage at the moment. You can literally drop hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a high end turntable these days and some labels are actually re-releasing remastered albums on vinyl as well as CD.

One of my favorite bands, Van Halen, recently did this to the chagrin of their fan base --who want new music with the original line up and not more repackaged do-overs of their original six albums…

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/64424/Van_Halen-1984-Preowned_Vinyl_LP

From what I have read, most think vinyl has a much warmer sound than digitally sourced music which is essentially sampling and not continuous streaming like a nice vinyl record would be. But also, CDs have much better bass sound than do records, and some of the newer “remastered” CDs sound amazing on a really good CD player and system. So who knows?

In any case, the best audio is actually said to be from high quality VHS video tape…

Some studio’s actually master music on old reel to reel tape then copy it onto CD for distribution. It is said to give a warm full sound to the music.

For warmth, it’s hard to go past valve radios and phonograms.

1920s, and even earlier, technology perfected in the 1950s and early 1960s, with a richness that solid state etc can’t match with its sterile clarity.

Funny thing is one of the worlds greatest CD players is supposedly an old Sony Playstation1 video game with the AV jacks to go directly to a receiver or amp. Supposedly better than audiophile CD players costing thousands…

Some of your best amplifiers and guitar amps are the old valve amps. For example, an old guitar amp like VOX has an incredible warm sound. Once those valves have warmed up, it can’t be matched.

Following up on a thread that happened a few months ago:

After dropping over $500 at the dentist’s, I stopped by the thrift on my way home and perused several boxes of vinyls out front–10 cents a record! Apparently they came from a collector who shared in my musical taste. Perhaps it was fated that today was the day I located two vinyls (pristine condition) I have been looking for for decades–The Lark Ascending and a 1938 Kenny Baker (if anyone knows who he is) singing Love Walked In. It sounds like a simple quest, but they just haven’t turned up–I don’t know how many bins I 've looked through over the years. I bought another album, yet unplayed, that might produce another long-sought title–but I won’t know until I play it. What is it they say, luck comes in threes–or is it death:

Probably luck.

Most people only die once, if they’re lucky. :smiley:

I’ve been a collector of various things over the years and often found that searching for things didn’t succeed, but then stumbled over a treasure by chance as you did. Frequently after having decided I’d probably never find what I was looking for.

Same principle applied to women. Go out on the prowl and get nothing. Sitting quietly in a pub not on the prowl and some sheila falls into your lap. Figuratively speaking. :smiley:

I try to keep trying, whether in vinyls or in video tapes–but I can’t ‘will’ one turning up.

Looking back, it’s almost humorous. I heard Eric Coates (probably my favorite all-time composer, although he’s not that well known) London Suite and tried to get a copy. This was when there were record stores–before CD’s and the like. I even called the music department at Arizona State University–and I find it hard to believe that whomever I spoke to, had never heard of Coates. Anyway, I guess I did give up. Then, much later, when Circles had its Phoenix ‘grand opening,’ I thought I’d go in and browse. Wouldn’t you know it–there, almost blocking the entrance, was a stack of that ‘golden’ album I’d been looking for for so long.

I’ve found that sometimes, but far from always, when I override my better judgment that it will be a waste of time going to something because it just looks like a waste of time, such as a car boot (trunk for you :D) sale at a local primary school there is a bit of gold among the dross.

Then again, I’ve seen more than enough dross without a hint of gold in it.

I should start a poll on this.

Will anyone ever collect cassette tapes for their sound quality?

Vinyl came back for its own qualities, but I don’t think tape hiss is ever going to be appealing.

Which, given my ability to predict trends, probably means that in about ten years some punk DJ in a dance club will be pulling tape out of the spool while his crazed audience does a spastic dance to it, when they’re not stuffing drugs into themselves one way or another.

Oh, to go back to the innocence of a town hall dance about 1965 when the worst that happened was the bad boys had few bottles of beer in their car up the road.