Machine Gunners in Action at Europe

Where did the freak did you see a 50. cal shooting down aircraft in World War 2? I have never once heard about a 50. cal. shooting down aircraft on the western front. So please tell me where you got this information from.

Just a couple points on the last few posts…

I think the bold type and exclamation point ususally show emphasis. all capitals indicate yelling…in this case it was probably just misinterperated.

Also, I have seen quad 50. cals ,on half tracks for anti aircraft use, at an airshow where they had WWII Aircraft.

see he gets what i mean i might of said wrong like i always do so plz lets not argue,lets be cool

I still wanting to know if you could tell me where you saw a 50 cal. shooting down German plains. I need to know where you got this idea from.

here it is,
no, you were not dreaming. (from globalsecurity.org)
M16 ANTI-AIRCRAFT MOTOR GUN CARRIAGE
The M16 was the most common anti-aircraft gun used by US ground forces in WWII. It was employed through the Korean War period. The M16 also proved as a very effective weapon against enemy ground vehicles and troops.

Armament: Quad .50 cal. mg’s
Crew: 5
Weight: 20,000 lbs
Speed: 45 mph
Range: 215 mi.

QUAD.jpg

That is not the answer I was looking for. Today at school he told me he had seen a game and a picture that there was a SINGLE 50 cal. shooting down aircraft. Like Windrider posted a noticed he said he was not dreaming. Well Windrider if you did not notice there is more then 1 50 cal. on that vehicle. So I still want to see some proof of a SINGLE 50 cal. shooting down enemy aircraft.

yes if you think i meant the small 50 cal i did in a way ill get you a picture and it is only one but thats one of those four cannons^

Picky, aren’t we ? :wink:
Here’s a towed version behind a jeep.
Source: http://members.aol.com/brimiljeep/WebPages/OrigJeepPhotosPage.html
They had some also on tanks, trucks, etc. Keep in mind they had dual purpose.

Ford_GPW_Early.jpg

very funny:rolleyes:
i never knew they had a jeep pull a machine gun on the back.

From korean war
Notice the handle

50cal1.jpg

50cal2.jpg

as you can see a single 50 cal is 1 of the 4 of the quad so it is possible and forget the game just use the facts

This is something I found online its said by a police officer or an expert.

“The .50-caliber weapons could fire bullets through a police officer’s protective vest, or could give a terrorist the ability to shoot down an aircraft or touch off a devasting fire at a chemical plant, in an oil tanker or in other settings”, Miller said.
Heres the site http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/003109.html

Online i see that the government wants to ban 50 cal weapons because they can shoot down LARGE AIRCRAFT and other dangerous things

Those are the pics I need to bring him to a halting stop thank you windrider

well now you guys are starting to go a little off topic and using the 50 cal. to make me come to a stop. First of all, I am talking about the 50 cal. being used in World War 2. Not the Korean. The Korean war was after World War 2 and the 50 cal. could of been easily upgraded by then. RifleMan20 posted a saying by Miller. First of all the message said 50 cal. BULLETS. Not a 50 caliber machine gun. So I do not know why you posted that saying.

its practilly the same thing,a 50 cal bullet coming out of a enplcement that is strong enough to go through a jeep armor that is no thinner then the aircraft of WW2 use and i bet it can reach up to 20,000ft and still be able to penetrate armor

Yes, maybe penetrate armor, but not enough damage to cause a plane to explode. 50 cal. bullets do not have to come straight from a 50 cal. gun. emplacement. A 50 cal. bullet is not just fired from a direct 50 cal. machine gun.

again when you shoot an aircraft it dosent explode the only part that explodes is the engine on the plane that then brings the plane down and in conclusion the plane is unuseable and is the practical word destroyed

I have seen many times WW2 planes get shot by bullets in their wings, back, sad, and front. They did not always get destroyed by just a few bullets would not make the plane unuasable. So I did not know why you said it would become unuasable.

welll it matters how it crashed they might of reused parts but they would not be able to reused the plane.If the engine is hit by a good number of shots the plane wont be stable sending the plane gliding down or sending the plane in a world of hurt.the plane would be destroyed by a crash killing the use of the plane and the people inside it.