MG-34 "S", MG-34/41 & others

You two need to cool it. Please refrain from personal attacks and speculation. Thanks in advance…

Edit: Offending posts deleted…take it to PM

Nice Pic you show here, PK.

(As for “humble 9mm” : NZ is so backwards most ordinary citizens can not even purchase a pistol. To be eligible to do so a person has to be a member of a pistol shooting club, go through god alone knows how many biographical history checks etc etc, and come up crystal clean from them, THEN hope to hell some ex wife or girlfriend never had an argument with him, because if he has had any sort of “domestic dispute” THAT can be sufficient for him to be prevented from ever owning any firearm.)

The same here in the legal aspect, the difference is that you dont need to be associate to any club, but with passing a gun handling test.

And I think the picture of my earlier post did show a esquive MG-34/41.

[i]

Sounds like we…

[/i]

This topic was created evidently with the spirit of clearing some matters, so I dont know why some persons insist in mocking allwiseknow attitudes towards other when actually this is for learning.
Ugly way to conduct yourself in the forum, very ugly way.

PK, does not the caption in your post, which I quote in my #17 say to the effect of a magazine holding 50 cartridges being seen next to a replacement barrel?

Granted, I’m no expert at reading in Spanish, but that’s the meaning I took from said caption. I’f I’m mistaken, please correct that misapprehension for me.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

Is Ok Uyraell, the caption say magazine for 50 rounds band or belt. Errare humanum est. :mrgreen:

Muchas Gracias, mi amigo :slight_smile:
I guessed I was “close” , just wasn’t close enough.:slight_smile:

Kind Regards, Uyraell.

I found some info in english complementing the quote of Bas, it say not exactly 100% the same but let see.

This is “The machine gun vol 1” by G.M Chinn pages 473, 474 and 475.

Panzer, the quote I put up was only the opening paragraphs from the books chapter on the MG.34/41. It goes on to describe in detail the differences in the MG.34/41 and ends with him describing his experiences shooting a MG.34/41 which had a measured ROF of 1400rpm!

edit:

the article you posted is a little un-clear on which MG.34 they are talking about, the one with the armoured jacket for use in Panzers or the MG.34/41. The panzer MG.34 was a standard gun with an armoured jacket but otherwise interchangeable with other MG.34’s. The MG.34/41 was a different gun and mostly not interchangeable.

An interesting note is that the first MG.34 pictured has the special feed cover installed to allow use of the 75 round saddle drum magazine while the second picture shows a starter tab on the belt in the 50 round drum. It has been my experience that the starter tab and extra rounds actually hinder the use of the drum because they extend over the action even with a tightly wound belt.

The article talks about the MG 34 in general.

Here continues…

By the way, I dont feel like practical an machinegun wich such high rate of fire1400 or 1600 rpm, perhapds would be useful in aircraft but for infantry use is not, a lot of wasted ammunition.

I read it, I was refering to the section that was underlined.

You need to factor in that the real rate of fire will be lowered by barrel changes and that it’s not really ment to be used in a LMG role from a bipod. On a tripod in a HMG role engaging targets at 1000m+ the high rate of fire will allow you to saturate an area with bullets.

But yes it does come at a huge ammunition cost.

And a very hot barrel - costing a change penalty in combat…

have you tried it searching in google?

I read it, I was refering to the section that was underlined

I guess there he is trying to explain the small differences between MG S and MG 34/41, for practical I think (after reading several sources) both are more or less the same.

You need to factor in that the real rate of fire will be lowered by barrel changes and that it’s not really ment to be used in a LMG role from a bipod. On a tripod in a HMG role engaging targets at 1000m+ the high rate of fire will allow you to saturate an area with bullets.

But yes it does come at a huge ammunition cost.

Yea, but probably with a rate of fire of 900 to 1100 rpm you could do the same without expending so much ammo and/or heating the barrel up red hot. And you said it right…in a tripod, try to put 1500 rpmin a bipod mounted light machinegun and the the recoil would ruin any possible accuracy. In a tripod the MG 34 became quite static, almost a defensive weapon

Hello,

I have pictures of parts for the MG34/41. I own the aprts for nearly two of them. I need a complete top cover and a feed tray.

What do you want to know about the 34S and 34/41? I know about what I have. I am beginning to get to know others who own them. I do not know of any others in the US although I have heard that there was a MG34S out there someplace. IMA brought in two of them and they were cut up. The parts kits were bought up and are no longer in the US.

The front end of the gun is quite similar to the MG34 but the receiver and everything else is different. The bolt is shorter and wider. There is a spring loaded ejector mechanism on the left side of the receiver. The buffer is bigger and wider. The butt stock is thicker. The trigger group is stamped like the MG42. The trigger group is relatively thin sheet metal. I think the grips bend if they are dropped. The parts for the 34S and the 34/41 are interchangeable and may have been made simultaneously. The cocking handle of the 34/41 has four holes drilled in it (I guess to lighten it up).

I would like to find a tripod for the 34/41. I know of one of them and Myrvang notes another three (serial number 31, 100, and 150).

Neat, 2 working MG 34s, thanks for the info.

Unfortunatly they’re not working, if you look at the receivers you’ll see that they are cut into three pieces to destroy them according to ATF rules. This then allows them to be imported into the USA as a ‘parts kit’

michaelangelo well done on locating two of these rare guns!

Nevertheless nice pic i never before saw it in this way :slight_smile:

Unfortunatly they’re not working, if you look at the receivers you’ll see that they are cut into three pieces to destroy them according to ATF rules. This then allows them to be imported into the USA as a ‘parts kit’

Oh, I thought they were disassembled, too bad that such rare german piece is destroyed. Are the replacement barrels modified or milled in some way ?

No, the barrels will be fine. In US law the receiver is the “machinegun” which is illegal to own unless registered and all registrations have been stopped. Once it is cut to ATF specifications it legally becomes scrap metal. All other parts can stay in original condition, hence the term “parts kits” as people were importing these for replacement parts to existing legally registered machineguns.

The barrels are shootable. I have been collecting parts for about 2.5 years. I still need a complete top cover and feed tray. I have come a long way since the first purchase of a barrel, barrel jacket, cocking handle and grip assembly. I have gotten parts numbered to one gun in three different purchases in Indiana, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. The other gun I have made two purchases for its’ parts. It is the one that needs a top cover and feed tray. Any help would be appreciated.

The parts are for the most part clearly labeled either 34S or 34/41. The WaA’s are 280 and 11.

Michaelangelo