Modern Tanks

I hope you don’t mind me joining in your Best Battle Tank discussion, I found this site while trying to answer this very question following a UK Channel 5 documentary about the ultimate top 10 Battle Tanks, in which the Challenger 2 didn’t even get a mention.

This surprised me as I always thought the Challenger 1/2 family were in the top 3 best Tanks in the world. I will try not to repeat anything I have already read in your discussion, so I will only mention the facts as I remember them, together with TV documentary information

Last year a UK TV documentary told of the renovation of a Centurion Mk5 AVRE 165 MBT, which was actually the very first tank into Iraq during the original Gulf War. It was fitted out with fascine carrier and dozer blade, its purpose was to clear and level a path for the following Abrams M1A1 MBTs. The original Centurion crew recounted being teased by the Abrams crews, about where did they find the old scrap Centurion, and why was it spearheading them into the Iraqi desert.

As the Tank column advanced, the teasing stopped as several Abrams became stuck and had to be recovered from the Desert sand, even though they were driving in the cleared, levelled and partially compacted sand behind the Centurion, which didn’t get stuck even though it was driving through virgin sand dunes.

Then when the US and UK MBTs advanced deep into the Iraq Desert, the following differences between the Abrams and Challenger 1 Tanks became clear.
Fuel Consumption. Abrams around 8 to 9 gallons per mile. Challenger around 1 to 2 gallons per mile. During the recent Channel 5 documentary a US Tank commander explained the Abrams takes 8 gallons of fuel just to start the Lycoming Textron AGT1500 Gas Turbine Engine. UK Tanks had to wait for Abrams to be refuelled during the push through Iraq.
Comforts. The Abrams had their own armoured Mcdonalds style food/drink vehicles, whereas the Challengers had their own internal rations and cooking facilities.
Camouflage. Once the Tanks gug in, the Abrams had to keep their Gas Turbine running, whereas the Challengers cut their Main Diesel, and ran the Tank on Servo power, leaving their position secret, whereas the hot exhaust from the Abrams was clearly apparent for miles.
Reliability. Both UK and US Tanks were affected by sand ingress, but the Abrams proved more reliable than the Challenger overall.
Fire Control. The Abrams state ot the art gun control could track more targets at once than the Challenger, although the Challenger riffled 120mm gun was slightly more accurate than the smooth bore Abrams, once locked onto target.
Protection. Both Tanks have the Chobham armour, (The German Leopard does not).
So there you have it, any way you look at it, the Abrams M1A1/2 and Challenger1/2 Main Battle Tanks are extremely potent and closely rated, which makes the Challenger’s ommission from the recent UK TV Channel 5 documentary somewhat confusing.
Information. All the above information came from TV/Newspapers, so if you know anything different, please post it here, as I want as much accurate information as possible. Thanks for reading this my fellow enthusiasts.

I will comment more soon but as a starting line the C1 and C2 have major differences that make them different tanks as opposed to different marks. It would be closer to say that C1 and Chieftain are related but C2 is not.

The gas turbine has caused problems for the US and I have seen one tank that was burnt out when under tow due to the hot exhaust.

Most if not all US tanker would agree that the BV in the C2 is the best thing since sliced bread.

BV = kettle, right?

I see recently they were procuring external telephones for the M1’s, so supporting infantry can talk to the tank commander.

I wonder if they had to ask for volunteers to test it? :slight_smile:

BV = kettle, right?[/quote]

think of a box that you can stand 4 bean tins in with a tap at the bottom. can boil, fry and if you are REME toast.

I hope they are not at the back next to the exhaust :lol:

This was the result of towing an M1 with an M1 with out heat shield.

But it’s good for toast.

I think we can say it is a right off.

Should soon be (of the part time variety) - I’ve got an interview with Colonel of the battalion I’m trying to join on tuesday.
Mmmmmm… Toast… :slight_smile:

Don’t talk soft! Bit of T-Cut and it’ll be right as rain in no time. :wink:

That looks ever so slightly like my wagon does on a good day!

I have heard stories about impatient German drivers tailgating a M1 tank convoy on a German road. Quite a surprise when they discovered that the paint on their car bonnets was gone!

Jan

This was a common occurrence. The look on the face is a sight to behold when you put on the anchors and the tail lifts up then drops as the car behind tries to stop in the same distance.
Another time I was standing at the back of a stoly keeping warm as we drove to an exercise area. The exhaust pipe was back right and would glow red in the dark. If the locals got too close the driver would drop down and cause a backfire. The resulting 8-foot flame out the back, not to mention the ammo/explosive warning plates ensured they left a large gap.

You may be referring to this.

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/uploads/large/OCPA-2005-03-09-165522.jpg

Tank Urban Survival Kit (TUSK)

As I understand it this is a suggested upgrade from lessons learnt. The US has lost a number to tanks to side hits from RPGs.
The full page.

http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=6985

There’s nowt new about tank telephones, all our AVREs and AVLBs had them in 32 AER during the 80s, I admit though not a lot of them worked. :lol:

I’ve seen tank telephones in pictures of M-60 tanks during the Vietnam war.

Jan

I appreciate that tank telephones are nothing new…

but telephones strapped to a metal box they put a gas turbine in … that’s something else. :wink:

If you were lucky enough to use one that did work, the answer on speaking into the handset was generally something like:
“Hello, Fulda Exchange here. What number do you require ?”

I’m afraid I never plucked up enough courage to use one. I could just see myself picking up the phone and hearing “driver reverse”. :cry:

Abraham M1A2 ish awesome, but why didn’t you list French Armour? I mean, they are the world’s leader in revolutionary tanks and assault vehicles.

Not France on the planet Earth. You must be thinking of some other France.