More classic Iron man

Speaking of people who are owed apologies, IRONMAN still owes me two for calling me a liar or deliberately lying about what I said.

I don’t believe he is man enough to apologise for either of those incidents, or to apologise for the various bits of abuse you threw my way for posting factual information about the Commonwealth. You love to dish it out, but when anything comes back your way you suddenly act all offended and start writing pretentious messages about how honourable or honest you are. Grow up.

Sweet baby jesus and the orphans, it’s a bit off fun you numpty. That is why this is OFF TOPIC and i was fair i also included a story about Brits.

FUN? FUN? We can’t be having FUN on here, after all, we are all here to prosecute an Anti-american campaign. :roll:

Enough back on topic

Getting sick of the bitching. :evil:

EDIT

What’s the use. I’ve just realised it’s almost exactly the same ground covered again. Like talking to a wall. Original post started before Gen. Sandworm’s post. Seen Gen Sandworm’s post and have no edited it all out.

Future of firearms:

What’s happening to OICW? I see they’ve separated the launcher from the rifle because the combo is too heavy. Do you think they’ll EVER make such a complex system, attached to a rifle, man portable to an acceptable degree?

Oh yes, of course you are right. Now please excuse me imust get back to American flag burning :roll:

HINT: Buy a cheap polyester or nylon flag, they’re much easier to light than natural fibres like silk. :twisted:

This IS the topic. It is relative to the future of furearms. You should not have removed my post with the original illustrations, as they were requested, and proved that I had not modified them as has been claimed.

Sure it does. Trying to twist the truth once more Crab?

I may have misunderstood, but wasn’t the original discussion on this subject about differences in the attitudes to the peace keeping role?
The above quote which Ironman posted is dated 8th April 2003, and refers to the war phase of the conflict.
It has nothing to do with attitudes re “force protection” v “hearts and minds” or anything else to do with post-conflict attitudes.
There is also no mention of Amnesty International investigating the claims, nor does it form part of the Amnesty Report.

Trying to twist the truth once more Ironman?

This IS the topic. It is relative to the future of furearms. You should not have removed my post with the original illustrations, as they were requested, and proved that I had not modified them as has been claimed.[/quote]

Dude you are thick. I did you a favor. Do you want another formal warning??? Give it up. Old patents and blueprints are not the future of fire arms. Drop it. And that goes for all of ya.

To get right back on topic, I stumbled across this site the other day, after someone mentioned a calibre called 6.5mm Grendel in conversation.

www.65grendel.com

Like others on this site, I have always been impressed with the 6.5x55mm Swedish cartridge, and its delightful balance of bullet weight, length, sectional density, and ballistics. It has always seemed to me like a useful compromise between the lighter 5.56/.223 assualt rifle calibre and full power rifle cartridges like .308/7.62. Well, it seems that someone else has thought the same thing too!

I wonder if we will see a return to armies with one cartridge for their machine guns, rifles, and (potentially) medium range sniper rifles? 6.5Grendel seems to offer this kind of capability. The article on the lightweight medium machine gun is particularly interesting.

Alex

Editted to add: Although that link takes you to a page on hunting with the cartridge, it has been designed as a military cartridge to function in M16/AR15 recievers. I wish I lived in the US sometimes, so I could wildcat like this! :smiley:

Also, the 6.5Grendel seems to be utilising the ‘shorter, fatter’ school of cartridge design. I have read that cartridge designs like the Winchester Super Short Magnums, which have a fat but short cartridge, compared to the bullet width, use powder more efficently and will give a higher velocity for a given amount of powder. Anyone care to comment? It certainly reduces action lengths.

Might we be seeing the end of the traditional ‘bottle’ shaped cartridge, with a move towards something wider and more stumpy?

For those that haven’t seen one, the .223WSSM (5.56WSSM, I suppose) looks like this:
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/super_duper_shortie/

The bench rest cartridges are short & stumpy - it’s supposed to give faster & more uniform burning - and these are designed for ultimate accuracy.

The 6.5 Grendel looks fairly similar to .280 British (if perhaps a bit shorter, from memory), which was deemed an ideal calibre for short-medium range warfare (i.e. to be used in assault rifle & LMG) after extensive “ideal calibre” trials. As I said to you on MSN, though, the rim diameter might be a little large & thus make a 30rd mag a little long (AK-47 length).

Yes, as I said at the time, it is only currently available in 25 round mags, or smaller.

However, is the requirement for 30 round magazines really essential? I don’t know why it has been arrived at, as its a fairly arbitary number to choose. would a rifle with a 25rnd mag but a better performing cartridge be a serious loss over a 5.56 with 30rnds? I don’t see that either long 30rnd mags, or a restriction to 25 rnds would neccesarily stop it from being viable. IIRC, the M16 had a 20round mag only for quite some time.

Also, note that the mag design is currently limited by the fact that it has to fit into an M16 mag housing, IIRC, Nato mags are not a true double stack, for example. If a new rifle was built in this calibre, there would be more flexibility with regards mag design, IMO.

The longer the time between reloads, the better - those extra 5 rds might save your life. This is why the C-mag (100rd drum) is so popular.

30 rds is common because it’s a good compromise between number of rds & mag size.

I appreciate that, but I would put it under the catagory of ‘niggle’ especially as some creative designing, or living with an AK47 sized mag, would probably get around the problem.

I just did the promised experiment - “Will an electric spark set off powder”, since this was how Ironman’s “invention” was supposed to work.

I took a gas match which uses piezoelectric ignition, and drained the gas. I taped up the side vent holes, filled the end with powder so that the spark would pass through it, then taped over the top. I then went outside & sparked it 20 times. I repeated this with several different powders: Vit N140 (Rifle, graphite-coated), Vit N350 (slowish pistol, not graphite coated), & some crappy Czech black powder (known to be the most sensitive of the lot).

Nothing happened. I even took the tape off each time & sparked it again repeatedly - with the Vit N140, sparks even jumped directly to one of the grains stuck on the tape & in contact with the metal.

If this were Mythbusters, I’d get some serious current & voltage going until the thing chucks hot metal sparks instead of just normal electrical ones. But, since I have replicated the conditions present in the original (unamended) specification (i.e. spark gap & no primer composition), I think that we can declare this one busted.

Perhaps it would be timely to ask Ironman whether he did any practical work before writing his claim up? I really can’t see the pitiful current from a small piezo electric system producing enough heat to do the job.

Interesting about 6.5Grendel, I’d never come accross it before although short, fat cartridges are fashionable at the moment. What is it’s rim diameter by the way?

Case length is 39mm. Case head diameter is .445". Case capacity is 35.0 grains of water and about 32.5 grains powder. The cartridge was developed to maximize performance in the AR15 platform. In that role, magazine-length loads are limited to 2.255" OAL. However, in single-round loading or in a bolt-action rifle, OAL can be extended with bullets up to 130 grains as far as 2.420".

HTH

Alex

He admitted that he had neither built nor tested it. He also didn’t actually write any claims, so if he’d filed it as a patent application, the examiner will have had a nice chuckle. There’s a recent Dutch “C octrooi” (utility model - these are not searched or examined unless challenged or if the applicant wants to enforce it, so people file crazy stuff) that we’ve recently had a good giggle over - http://v3.espacenet.com/textdoc?DB=EPODOC&IDX=NL1025353C&F=0 It reads:

Description:

The patented coffee grinder is a normal coffee grinder which has naturally been strongly improved so as to grind coffee better. Because of this, the coffee grinder is faster, easier, more useful and better. The improvement works just as well for a hand-operated coffee grinder as for a motorised coffee grinder.
How the invention works naturally remains secret, otherwise anyone could later build it. But the coffee which is ground is ground better than coffee which is ground normally.
The coffee grinder is also easy in use and the improvement is applicable to all sorts of coffee grinders as a result of the coffee being better ground.
In consequence a patent is awarded for the invented coffee grinder.

Claim:
Coffee grinder which is much better than existing coffee grinders

:twisted: And this is one of the reasons why we hate lone inventors who don’t use attorneys.

Looking at the patents I listed earlier, most of them use a hot wire to ignite a primer compound, and all of them use a primer compound of some sort (obviously… except to some, it seems).

Man of Stoat Give it a rest. I have already repremanded IRONMAN for his actions today and I feel you are pushing the issue. Drop it. You have made your point…enough with the IRONMAN bashing. I would hate to have to issue any further formal warnings.

I would apprecitate you cooperation on this matter. Lets get back on topic as many others have tried. Thanks