Mosquito with 57 mm autocannon.

No. Mosquito Squadron was a different film but based on an actual operation to free resistance fighters in Holland.

The above is from the film 633 Squadron.

A fictional story, but it does portray the part played by Colonial personnel (the last time I saw one of those actors was in Crocodile Dundee) in the RAF and particularly the Mosquito Squadrons. I just happen to like the music. :slight_smile:

Koyli,

you have a pm.

I live very near Hatfiled and often visit the DeHaviland mesuem and Society.

I love the Mosquito, more each time I go there.

I thought that they were made from ply and balsa wood as per a recent sky programme “warplanes” and built by furniture makers to free up metal workers for other planes.

De Havilland favoured advanced wooden construction methods even before the war, because of their favourable strength/weight ratio. Look at the DH Albatross airliner. So although it is true that the Mosquito could be made by people with non-strategic skills using non-strategic materials, that wasn’t the reason why it was designed that way (but it might have helped in getting approval for it to be built).

The 57mm video, opens showing a TypeXXVIII coastal sub, then a Type VIId, then a Type IXc: not that the poms knew people would be identifying the subs 65 years on, but I thought it interesting to note.
Nor was that as big as guns got in a Mosquito.

The 17 pounder 76.2 mm was ignored. 

The 32 pounder was flown successfully and fired, from memory the thing had 21 shots, and employed a Galliot muzzle brake as part of the recoil absorption system. This was achieved by spiral ducting of air and gasses from the barrel, within the muzzlebrake itself. 6 Mossies were built and flown with the 32lb’er.

All in all, very interesting to see.

Regards, Uyraell.

I was aware of the plans to equip the Mosquito with the 3.7 inch AA gun (known as the 32 pdr in its abortive anti-tank version), but understood that this had never actually happened. I also doubt that it would have carried 21 rounds, as the Tsetse could only carry 23 rounds of the much smaller 6 pdr ammo. Can you give a source for your information?

My Source is Purnell’s, and before you laugh, despite some inaccuracies they were in general terms reliable publications.

I admit to possible inaccuracy of memory: number of shots may have been 12 or 15, and when I dig the book out again I’ll post a correction here.

I am reasonably certain a mere 6 of the 32 pdr beasts were built and flown, that from the Mosquito book published (with a black cover outlining a photo of an FBVI in flight) in the late 1970’s early 1980’s.
Exact details of said book, author and publication references elude me now, as I never owned a copy of same. I do recall it as a couple of hundred pages, close enough to a squared off A4 page, with many pictures either drawn or photographs. 32pdr references were in an appendix under production figures in the back of the book.

Hope this info helps, scant though it is.

Regards, Uyraell.

I have checked my references and asked Mosquito enthusiasts, but I cannot find any reference to even a single Mossie with the 3.7 inch/32 pdr gun having been built. Wallace Clarke’s stanadrd book on British Aircraft Armament doesn’t even mention the proposal, and he does include some experimental weapons. I think that had one been built and test-flown, we would certainly have heard about it.

Purnell’s History of the Second World War. Special, Allied Secret Weapons. Page 15, right hand column. op-cit.
According to that article, one 32pdr aircraft was built (most likely a conversion, Imo) flown, and the weapon fired. Thereafter, the point having been proved, the aircraft was scrapped.
The other book I mentioned is the one which mentions 6 32pdr Mossie aircraft as having been built.

Regards, Uyraell.

i have a model mosquito with the 57 mm autocannon as an option