Most important war operation ww2

Well, I guess they wanted to make it to the Western Allies. Also some fanatics seem to have been among them, as they were forcibly drafting people (and shooting those who refused) they could find. In this last fightings and happenings around, approximately 10% of my home village died.

Anyway, true, Vienna is really a nice city, it has a lot of things to see. But I can also recommend Eisenstadt, Zagreb, Sisak, Warsaw and Poznan. All nice cities :slight_smile:

Operation Bagration and Overlord(both in 1944) decided the outcome of the war.It was the point where Germans took casualties which they couldn’t replace anymore.The finest german divisions were annihilated.
And yes, I believe, that Stalignrad wasn’t decisive at all.It was the turning point on the Eastern Front, but it hasn’t decided the outcome of the war.I am free to discuss my statement :wink:

Someone else from Wien! Obviously someone is spreading the world about ww2incolor down at Zum Bettel Student!

Jerzy Rozycki sometimes claimed that he named the electro-mechanical device after the dessert, but the other three mathematicans–Rejewski, Zygalski and Betlewski-- often refuted his claim. They chose “The Bomb,” I’m guessing, because it was simple and easy to remember.

I, however, remember the Bomba ice cream as a child. Jerzy, who dated my sister Iwona when they both attended Poznan University, used to come over to our house with several of his college “chums” to eat our special “Bomba” ice cream dessert. He especially liked my Mama’s recipe, which was very simple and easy to make and very tasty; I don’t remember what she put in it, maybe some extra corn syrup from the farm and milk from the cows, but her version always made a big sensation in our town. Interestingly, years later, Jerzy would write letters to Iwona, many years after she refused to marry him (a move that would force him to contemplate suicide), about Mama’s recipe that tasted better than any “ice cream parlor dessert.”

Alas, the topic is ‘most important operation’, not the two most important operations.

Which one of your choices was the most important?

Then we’ll be free to discuss your statement. :wink: :smiley:

Not easy to say.Bagration was such a horrifying disaster for the germans, but so was Overlord.
I think the landing in Normandy was slightly more important, because it did bound so many german divisions, so that they couldn’t help out in the East.

Sounds too obvious, but I would go with the cross-channel invasion. Not only did it put Allied troops into the major battle arena with Germany … which had been decided at the highest Allied level was definately the Axis member to be defeated first … but the ongoing threat of the invasion tied down many German assets, from Norway to the south of France, that otherwise could have been used in the east, possibly with dire results for the USSR.

In my opinion?

1. Operation Barbarossa. By attacking Russia before England was out of conflict, Hitler lost the war. He feared the double front, and opened it by himself…
  2. The operation never done: C3, the invasion of Malta. Rommel was a great tactic but a poor strategist, and Hitler worse. After the fall of Tobruk Malta should and could be conquered.
    Without Malta British position in the Mediterranean front could not resist longer… Their opposition (of Rommel and Hitler) at C3, supported instead by Kesserling and Italian High Command, frustrate the last possibility of closing victoriusly a front before the arrival of Americans.

Well guys, I have to disagree with most of you. TO ME, Operation Varsity wasn’t important because the allies had already win the war; manhattan same reason, to me the most important, mainly DECISIVE operations of the war, were the turning points. In europe, operation Uranus was the most important, because it was the turning point against germany togheter with el alamein. In the pacific, it was the conquer of the solomons & midway, for the same previous reason. But this is from the most decisive point of view. In terms of numbers it was certainly the barbarossa and overlord. these were the largest full scale ground invasion and amphibious invasion, respectively, until today. In terms of dare, maybe the take of fort eben emael

I don’t think the post-1943 operations were much important, because by that time the war was already won by the allies (by the most Decisive point of view). Operation overlord just made less soviet troops die, and guarantee the western europe didn’t became comunist

Establishing the beach head at Normandy went a long way towards “the beginning of the end.”

It was downhill all the way for the Germans after that-less than a year-alles kaput!

Hard to name a “most significant.”

Yeah, but I think after the german defeat at kursk, the tide of the war was totally against the germans, operation overlord just made the war more short, and less casualties to the soviets, but it was very important too, because it deviated A LOT of german resources, and in the and, putting 150,000 germans out of combat!

No doubts - Battle for Moscow and Stalingrad. None of any western operations were so much important like most of eastern.

Yes but don’t forget that Operation Ladbroke, was the first operation by glider, and was really important because was a test for Normandy!!

Battle for Moscow and then Stalingrad, not Normandy, were the decisive battles of WWII, and the turning points when the German army was forced to retreat. The West, foreseeing the Cold War, was more then happy to see the Russians fight it out with the Germans from a safe distance. The only reason why D-Day happened when it did is because they realized that the whole European continent would be liberated by the Soviets rendering their role irrelevant.

Hardly the reason for D Day. Churchill saw the cold war looming a long time before the US.

The most important operation of WW2 possibly dropping the A Bombs, they may just have helped stop a WW3 in the 50’s.

Moscow and Stalingrad were turning points, but: The German surrender of the Afrikakorp resulted in the loss of almost as many troops and material in the North African Campaign as Stalingrad did…

The West, foreseeing the Cold War, was more then happy to see the Russians fight it out with the Germans from a safe distance. The only reason why D-Day happened when it did is because they realized that the whole European continent would be liberated by the Soviets rendering their role irrelevant.

The U.S. didn’t foresee the Cold War, though Churchill did as leccy stated. D-Day was planned long before any foresight and the U.S. Army was forcefully arguing to invade France and setting up a second front in 1942 (see Operation Sledgehammer!), long before U.S. soldiers were battle-worthy or tested and before equipment was available (such as landing craft) as U.S. mass production was still ramping up, largely to assist the Soviets–especially in the event of a general retreat by the Red Army. High level strategic arguments between the British and American high commands overruled an early entry into France as impracticable and as having little bearing in the war in the East as the few divisions available would have been easily contained by a relatively small number of Heer divisions…

I think Barbarossa is unquestionably the deciding factor in the outcome of the war. If that’s too broad I’d say Stalingrad. I don’t think there’s any question that had Hitler concentrated all of his resources against the British he would have taken North Africa, forcing the UK to sue for peace. Taking control of the Suez Canal and the oil resources of the Middle East would have been decisive. With Europe in his pocket and no threat from the US the Soviet Union may not have been able to resist.

I think whats most important is not what operations, but the many points in the war that critical mistakes were made. At Dunkirk, Germany had British and the French on the ropes. They had them trapped and decided to stop to repair their armor and let the infrantry catch up. The time they stopped plus the weather when they resumed allowed 300,000 troops escape. If they don’t stop and cut off the retreat Britian probably has to concede defeat. They would have not had the manpower nor the equipment to continue. That would have allowed Germany to attack Russia with only one front.

I came to the same conclusion years ago. The winner is the one who screws up the least.