New Job :D

They’re not typical chicken wings one would buy at the market. They were once actually considered waste bits too small to serve properly or use for anything other than soup, which was a shame since much of the actual meat is decent white meat. Generally, the “Buffalo wings” style is to take the mini-drumsticks and wing pieces, and put them in a deep fryer for about 10 minutes IIRC. Once they are crispy, they are put into a large container containing a concoction that varies according the the ‘secret recipe’ of a given establishment. But the basic ingredients are a cayenne pepper based hot sauce such as “Franks Hot Sauce™” and a mixture of butter (or some weird yellow substitute of coconut oil flavoring which is we used when I worked in a “sub and pizza” take away in high school). Ingredients also can include bits of garlic, cayenne pepper, worcestershire sauce, and other different stuff. The container is then shaken vigorously and the wings should look something like the pic’s below. Flavors vary from mild, medium, and hot, or “suicide” depending how the individual palettes’ tolerance for spiciness. They can also be slathered in barbecue sauce, but personally I think this is an abomination and takes away from the regional charm and distinctiveness…

They are served with a blue cheese dressing for dipping and generally come with celery and carrots on the side (for your veggies–yeah right! Who are we kidding, this stuff is God-awful for you, but nothing tastes better during a night of binge drinking :mrgreen: ) I try to avoid them in all honestly because they have more cholesterol than a bucket of lard, but maybe once every couple of a months I’ll put in an order for them. Supposedly they were invented at a local establishment called “The Anchor Bar” which made them ad hoc as an hor’d’vores for late night patrons after the kitchen had closed or ran out of food. There are stories below, and yes, very few places outside Buffalo ever get them right. They almost always use the wrong kind of wings, make them soupy, or not crispy enough or whatever–and generally should be avoided when eating at national chain restaurants and are best ingested in bars and the numerous pizza & sub(marine sandwich shops) that abound here. Wings can also be made at home with recipes and ingredients available on the 'net…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_wings

He’ll be uncouth and impolite by the time he leaves here. Especially after residing in Jersey…:wink:

I’m not sure if I like the frying idea (the only fried chicken I’ve had is Colonel Sanders and that was about forty years ago with no desire to repeat the experience) but the rest of it (omitting the butter - too rich on wings which already have plenty of fat) sounds like it could be alright applied to Weber cooked wings.

Or wingettes as the producers here call them, being the parts of the wing omitting the pointy segment at the outer end without much meat.

I reckon the wing is the best part of the chicken. Apart from the skin on a charcoal cooked chicken.

I couldn’t give a stuff about the cholesterol. I’d rather have some fun and die happy from that than live miserably on lentils and die from cancer of the bowel anyway.

You can grill them actually, and people do make them on the grill here in our precipitously short summers. You can also order most of that stuff, including complete sauces, from the glory of the world wide internetz…

https://www.buffalofoods.com/home.htm

http://www.hotsauce.com/Wing_Sauces_Hot_and_Spicy_HotSauce_com_s/31.htm&click=2682?gclid=CLitvdfc3Z4CFdx05Qod6QpVJQ

Thanks.

But if it’s animal, mineral or vegetable, it’s probably a banned import here.

Yeah, I recall reading about that. I suppose there’s good reason and I’m aware that Australia (like us here near the US-Canadian Great Lakes) has had a historical problem with invasive species. But that seems a bit prickish and overly strict when dealing with finished food stuffs…

I was overstating the case a bit.

If it’s properly prepared and certified for import it’s not a problem. I doubt that there’s much we can’t get in our supermarkets or specialty stores, not to mention ethnic stores from every part of the globe, at least by type if not by brand.

But importing it directly by post could run into problems if something not approved comes in. http://www.studiesinaustralia.com/living_in_australia/australia_s_quarantine_laws

Same with trying to bring it in personally.

Amazing how many naturalized Australian citizens don’t understand the laws of their new country, despite being frequent travellers in and out of the country, and lose their English and memory when confronted with their attempts to break our, and their, laws. And that ain’t just my view but that of a friend of mine who is a state director of the relevant airport inspection services. They’re sneaky arseholes full of bullshit who threaten our freedom from many diseases of flora, fauna, commercial crops and livestock by dishonestly bringing stuff into their new country.

Such as here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGoD3oimVFc

Pissy $220 fine? What a joke!

Looks like I got out just in time - they’ve just announced the end of all manufacturing in the UK. Technical (what I do) will stay here for a while, but frankly I can’t see that lasting more than 5 years.

Did you see it coming or just get lucky and miss the bullet?

Bit of both - I saw it coming, but not for another year or two. I also thought it would be rather more gradual than it is.

Yeah, there’s a lot of that going around…

The thing that gets to me is that since the new pump design I’ve been working on for the past few years is so efficient, the maximum theoretically possible saving is about 0.1%. That really winds me up.