Night Fighters

Here is the pictures of the Me-262 two seater night fighterof the Johannesburg Museum and the Heinkel 219.

The following pictures was taken in 1945 or 1946 when it arrived in Johannesburg from the UK.

The cannopy.

Then I have pictures of the Heinkel 219 that I got from LuftArchiv.de and then I have a 3D view.

Henk

Off topic:
Henk, before posting, hit preview to check if all is in order.
I edited your post because you placed the images as follows:
[/img]link

I was in such a rush I did not notice that but thank you Dani for correcting my misstake. I will do so next time.

Henk

Swell images of the Uhu!!!

Thank you Twitch.

Henk

The Owl was good, it even managed to hold its own with the Mosquito, which was no mean feat. But as usual, too late to affect anything.

The Me262 night fighter was pretty lame though, the usual waste of resources.

Also the Germans never did quite get the airborne radar right and their cumbersome arrays affected the aircraft performance, unlike the British radars that were enclosed.

In my opinion the Mosquito is the best Night Fighter of the war bar none:

Yes, I have read that the Mosquito was the best night fighter of WW2, but the Ju-88 night fighter was also a great night fighter and I do not know about the German Radar being shitty. The Allies learned a lot from German night radar because it was way ahead of the rest of the worlds night fighter radar.

Henk

No Henk, the British Night fighter radar led the World. Once you have plowed through this, come back with your opinion?

http://www.vectorsite.net/ttwiz.html

Is interesting that Schnaufer achieved his victories flying entirely in the “old” Bf-110.

Because he had great radar. :smiley: :smiley: British land radar was fantastic but in the air the Germans ruled.

Henk

What was a unorthodox design was the modification for the either the Bf 110 or either the 109/190, in which vertically firing cannon were mounted, 4 i think, behind the cockpit.

The plane was not then bound to get in to the formation of bombers, but simply fly fast underneath the target, firing straight in to the belly of the plane from tail to nose.

I don’t know if they were ever used, or how successful they were if they were used.

Anyone else know more about this particular modification? I can’t find much data on it.

Yes, they were used by fighters and by night fighters. I do not know if they was verry sucsessful or not. What I do know is that the backwards fireing was not sucsessful and wile testing it was proved verry difficult to aim it.

Henk

From memory it was called Schräge Musik (Jazz Music, and no I have no idea why) and was in pretty widespread use by the end of the war.

Nope. The UK was just overly paranoid about the Germans capturing their sets so the Mosquito intruders they sent to fight the German Nightfighters only had obselete radar sets for nearly all the war. They were still at least as good as anything the Germans had in squadron service.

You didnt read the link then?

Just joking firefly. I am still plowing through it it is very long. I can now start to understand what you are saying.

Henk

From memory it was called Schräge Musik (Jazz Music, and no I have no idea why) and was in pretty widespread use by the end of the war.[/quote]

Yep Jazz consisted of 20 mm cannon slanted to fire just above and in front of the Night Fighter.

The tactic was to go for the engines and wings, pretty deadly and efficient.

OK mate, remember UK Radar was internal, German radar was big and external and compromised the aircraft.

The Schräge Musik was not installed in the Fw-190.

A pic of the instalation in a Do-217N, 4 x 20 mm MG-151.

And the revi gunsight used to aim.

The Japanese employed an identical cannon layout on several of their fighters also.