Omaha and Utah

a reason that you saw the troops strolling is because the secter they wher in was maybe cleared out, or just plain dumb cause i saw a pic from D-Day and the pic was taken when the beach was still under machine gun fire and british troops just walked over to a sand dune for cover :shock: why walk when u can run?

You must be aware, of course, that a large proportion of “combat footage”, particularly the good quality stuff shot from good angles, was faked for the benefit of the newsreels.

You must be aware, of course, that a large proportion of “combat footage”, particularly the good quality stuff shot from good angles, was faked for the benefit of the newsreels.[/quote]

Alot of the photos and footage of the American landings were lost at sea. Some kind of accident resulted in them being dumped overboard. :frowning:

Thanks for the link and the info about Robert Capa temujin77. :slight_smile:

200 hundred
Aw, Military channel lied to me. On the D-Day Special they had, they explained that after the main attack wave was off course and landed at the wrong area, they only had 13 KIA’s.

Utah was essentially a cake walk, the Americans landed at the wrong beach because I think the current pulled them a little farther off course than they anticipated, but it was a very happy accident since they landed in a virtually undefended sector…

I read Ambrose’s book on “D-Day,” and I got the impression that Omaha was essentially a kill-box, a place where US infantrymen were bound up and their tactical movement, restricted by the sea-wall. Also, the aerial and naval bombardment fell too far inland, missing most of the German fortifications, as they were afraid of hitting their own troops as it was foggy that morning.

Didn’t the yanks get alot of sea sickness on the way to Omaha? It was a horrendously long trip from the LC drop off point to the beach IIRC.

That was a problem. Then they were dropped often too far from shore by Higgens Boat crewmen that wanted to get out of Dodge as fast as they could. It’s sad to think of the guys that went through all that training to only drown and be washed into the Channel.

Even when they disembarked at the “proper” points the beach was about a quarter mile long to the point of the base of the cliff. The reason was because the tide was out and the reason they needed to land with the tide out was so that the static defences were bared. Teller mines, steel tripod stakes, floating mines, buried mines, and wired mines all became visible and could do mo damage to the boats.