Panzerknacker Avatar?

A favorite in my neck of the woods as well. One I do indulge in. A good choice for any able, and sturdy man…
I think we should have a wine label showing a disabled tank, titled “Old Knacker’s Special Reserve”

rb_n_mug.jpg

Is this root beer alcoholic, or what we in Australia call a sarsaparilla flavoured lemonade as “root beer”?

(We also have another type of root beer in Australia, which involves getting a lot of ordinary beer into a woman and then … :))

There’s no mainstream American beer I regard as anything more that flavored, alcoholic seltzer.:smiley: I think Mich is a bit better, but still too light on flavor for me.

Oh, and I know. I had REAL Aussie beer such as Coopers and something called “The Razor’s Edge” (featuring a shark squaring off against an alligator on the label - sadly, I can no longer find an info. on this wondrous brew :frowning: ) In any case, I recall reading an interview, like 20-years ago, AC/DC’s Angus Young or Brian Johnson essentially stating the same thing…

I’ve been preferring Euro imports or “craft brews” since college, if not high school.

But I’m sure that America has some very good beers which, like so much else in America, represent the diversity of the nation and its people and, like so much else about America, is overlooked by the rest of the world in regarding America as some sort of monoculture incapable of producing anything but whatever prejudicial view the rest of the world has about America.

Well, (and I’m gonna start a thread about this!), unfortunately it is said that WWII ruined American brewing, which once truly had a collection of diverse localized beers. Two major things happened, one was refrigeration coupled with advertising, began to cause the blight of watered down, nat’l beers without character nor real flavor.

World War II also comes into play - as it forced brewers to lighten and thin out the beers due to an unavailability of grain as the war effort absorbed the American breadbasket. The public’s’ palates eventually grew used to this, and it was also cheaper to brew beer in this way - so, henceforth, US beers tended suck on whole…

But in the late 1980s, with the rise of “Sam Adams” beer, Jim Koch gathered the recipe his grandfather had used in the 19th century and began to sell small batches of what was little more than a novelty home-brew. But the stuff caught on and became sort of a “boutique” higher quality beer. And then came the “craft brewery revolution,” in which smaller beer companies that found a niche market selling higher quality, old style beer, at a premium price. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of the basic “Boston Lager,” but Sam Adams makes some really great “seasonal brews” which are quite good. Of course, if people had just bought more of some of the old local beers before their local city breweries went under for the likes of Budweiser (-pffftttt!), we wouldn’t have to pay more for a decent beer…

Sierra Nevada is a personal favorite…

P.S. ‘Pap’ Hardly anyone on the planet knows what that means any more. Are you sure you’re not English? :smiley:

No. I might be a repressed Anglophile though. :lol:

Coopers red label is best, but you need to roll the bottle to spread the sediment before drinking. In my top 20 beers. http://www.coopers.com.au/beer.php?id=127&pid=1

I think you might be a bit adventurous in relying on Angus Young as a source. He’d be doing well to remember what he had for breakfast today, assuming he had it, or had grasped the elusive concept of ‘today’.:mrgreen:

No. I might be a repressed Anglophile though. :lol:

You can’t begin to imagine what a disturbing concept this is. :smiley:

you guys know how to party, :slight_smile: this particular root beer in non alcohol, the Sprecher company makes a number of gourmet beers, and soft drinks, their root beer is well liked, and their Ginger Ale is made w/ real ginger, and has a Croc like bite to it…

Is it sarsaparilla based, or something else?

I’ve got to say that I like Schweppes Sarsaparilla in lemonade.

For ginger beer, I can’t go past this http://www.bundaberg-brew.com.au/local/gingerbeer.html

Quote from their site, “This truly old fashioned soda has the rich, creamy flavor that only comes from using pure Wisconsin honey direct from the combs. Our extracts are prepared at the brewery in a hand-made, gas-fired brew kettle, by combining honey, pure vanilla and a host of aromatic botanicals. The dark, honeyed brew will build a delicious, frothy head when properly poured into a frosted mug.”
They dont say what exactly is in it, but probably has mostly traditional extracts in it.

The Ginger Ale is not Alcoholic either, just a soft drink. “Our ginger ale is a sophisticated soda, pale in color and reminiscent of a light, sparkling chardonnay. Its complex flavor is very dry on the palate, combining the bite of ginger ale with a surprising hint of oak. A truly unique taste experience. Nothing like the ginger ale you are used to!”
In the old days, soft drinks were primarily Herbal suppliments, containing things that kept a body in good order, aiding day to day living. That is why, (at least in America,) the “soda fountain” was usually located in the local Pharmacy. (Chemist’s shop) They were very good, and medicinal drinks. as time went on, Food chemists developed artificial flavors, that could mimic the taste, but not the medicinal qualities of the herbs, and just added sugar to take up the slack. (in the later1800’s cocain was also a popular additive,) Then soft drinks pretty much turned into junk food.

I’d love to try that, unfortunately, a lot of that stuff is a little stale by the time it gets here. There’s a pub in DC called “The Brickceller” that features beers from almost every nation that brews…

I think you might be a bit adventurous in relying on Angus Young as a source. He’d be doing well to remember what he had for breakfast today, assuming he had it, or had grasped the elusive concept of ‘today’.:mrgreen:

True. But as long as he can still play.:smiley:

Seriously, brother Malcolm is by far the more fucked one though and had the more serious problems with alcohol, and a very underrated player…

You can’t begin to imagine what a disturbing concept this is. :smiley:

It’s disturbing to me!:smiley: I’ve always been more partial to the Irish!

mineral water is always the best for me… a lemon with it wont hurt ither.