Pavlov's House

ooooooooopppssssss :shock: but history say 30 kill hundreds german soldiers and destroyd many tanks. :wink:

P R O P A G A N D A

Yes i said that so in my earlyer posts.

No there were ‘Anti-Tank Riflemen’ sent there to aid the defenders, meaning they were armed with PTRD-41 Rifles.

Well yes Pavlov’s House was used for propaganda, but I doubt the number of Germans killed by the defenders were too far off, otherwise the Germans would’ve announced the report fallcious, which they didn’t.

Most if not all the German tanks sent to shell the house were destroyed because the Anti-Tank Riflemen shot from either the holes from the basement, or from the forth floor, both places where the German tank turrets cannot elevate at the angle.

AT in bassement very possible ,i first time heard about it ,if they not have any panzerfaust they for sure have AT gun somewhere.

Chuikov later liked to make the point that Pavlov’s men killed more enemy soldiers than the
Germans lost in the capture of Paris!

Hahahahaha !

Q. How many frenchmen does it take to defend Paris ?

A. Don’t know, it’s never happened.

Gremans walk into Paris just like they walk in berlin :lol: :lol: :lol:

What he meant was that Pavlov’s House cost the Germans more men than they lost in the French campaign, not the march into Paris. :slight_smile:

No, mate - they do just mean Paris:

Again, that’s propaganda - they could boast that, but the Russian people wouldn’t have known that Paris had been declared an open city.

Agian propaganda ,its always about it . :lol:

Hi all - this is my first post!

This thread caught my eye due to the word “Pavlov”. I am a keen CofD player (name “Zero”) and have played the scenario called “Pavlov” several times. OK OK it’s just a game but I never realised there was some historical logic behind it. It was fascinating to see the pics of the real Pavlov’s house and I would love to visit it one day.

The reason for this ramble though i sjust to comment on two things stated previously in this thread:

1 - Why not use artillery or Stukas or mortars to flatten the house? This thread seems to suggest that the reason these weren’t used was because the Germans wanted to capture the Russians within it and the house itself. My personal view is that the Germans wouldn’t be too worried about capturing the Russians alive considering the situation they were in. If a short Arty barrage would finish them off then I’m sure that any German commander would have done that. I suspect the reason they didn’t use Arty or Stukas was because the German/Russian lines were very close to each other. You could use Arty behind the lines but use it ON the line and you ran the risk of hitting your own troops as much as the enemy. They could only use Stukas where they had total air supremacy as they were slow and unmanoeuvrable. Another consideration might have been the tactical benefit of the building for reconnaisance etc. IMHO if it wasn’t for the above then the Germans would have just flattened the place and moved on. Note also that Arty is a truly devastating weapon, if an Arty strike had hit that building then it is unlikely anyone in it would have been fit to mount any kind of defense, of couse reinforcements could have manned the ruins depending on who got to them first. There is alos the question as to whether teh Germans had teh Arty shells to use on a single building, I’m sure they woudl be saving them for bigger targets bearing in mind the huge logistical problems they had.

2 - Did Pavlov really mount an heroic defense or was it all propaganda? Some above seem to suggest that it was all propaganda that Pavlov inflicted the casulaties on teh Germans claimed by the Russians. Who knows? In the British Army, doctrine generally suggests that any building that needs storming requires 10 times as many attackers as defenders to over run the defenders, even then it is touch and go. Who is to say that 30 “Pavlovs men” in the house couldn’t beat off attacks from 300 Germans or 100 Germans + two tanks or whatever permitation thereof? My view is that the Russians largely won WW2 on their own and of course within the huge battles that took place in the East there must have been many “Rourke’s Drifts” whereby a small squad beat off over whelming numbers. I’m happy to give Pavlov the benefit of the doubt and assume that these were truely heroic deeds and not just propaganda, albeit that Soviet propaganda would benefit. Who knows how many reinforcements the Russians poored in to the house.

Unfortunately in the West we tend to underplay the Soviet achievements during WW2. The statement that Pavlov’s house cost the Germans more men than Paris is a wry observation that a single Russian house was more bitterly fought over than an entire Western city.

Welcome aboard mate, excellent post and something to think about as well.

Very good summation, the analogy between a house and a city. I think you hit the nail on the head, the Russians were prepared to die for a house while the Parisians would die if thier beloved city was harmed.

Sometimes beauty has to be sacrificed to fight the beast…