PPSH

and i heard AK-47 requires less trainning to be good at it, and M-16 would take longer trainning time in comparison

Yes, AK-47 and AKM (a bit modified AK-47) more effective in jungle and probabli in forrest. Because caliber 7.62 is more effective, if you need shoot trought trees and bushes.
And sure - AK47/AKM much easy to disassembly in field conditions - i hawe seen only one rifle, that more simple than AK-47, is it FN-FAL.
Yes, any man can manage with AK after two lessions about it.
AR15 family more harder to mantaining - it easy to disassembly but there a lot of parts, and a lot of really small pins. Ususal deal - loose firing pin after disassembling in field. And after that your AR15 no more weapon - just stick with rounds and sight.

But today no more AK-47 (maybe only somewhere in Iraq or Iran or somewhere in Africa). In USSR/Russia today in army use AK 74 and AK “hundred series” such a AK 107. And russian caliber 5.45 practicly equal to NATO 5.56.
AK74 got all better from “father” AK-47, reliable, durable and simple.

At my look i need few things in AK-74 for more comfortable use: do something with sight, 'cos presented sight hawe a really short sight line, is it make AK74 a bit hard to aiming. And i need two-side safer-mode of fire switch. I lefthanded man and when i use AK - i need do some kind of tricks to operate. And empty cartriges flew from ejector sometimes directly in my face… :frowning:
I used in USA AK, modifited such way, with longer sight line, customized handles - and it was more easy to use than standard AK.

In good hands M-16A2 - accurate and reliable instrument of war.
But i no need full automatic fire mode in my rifle and i like 7.62 NATO.
For me M-14 would be better choise from USA rifles (or M18 too). Two well placed shoots from semy-auto rifle not whorse than 30 rounds, spreed in air with full auto.

i watched stalingrad, the german soldiers would throw their machine gun away to use the PPSH machine gun

some of the german soldiers say in the movie:" this is a really good gun, they never go jam on you"

just a bit off-topic, you might not want to be a canadian soldier in world war 1, guns explosion caused by malfunction gun has killed many canadian soldiers, and their boots are made of cardboards, what a way to treat your soldiers :shock:

Yeah, Nazi really like our PPSH and PPD. Also they use our SVT 40 auto-rifles (they got a lot of it, as trophy of first days of war, when USSR army depots was captured full of brand-new rifles). Later they even copied SVT 40 as Gew 43/K43.
USSR troops liked Nazi’s P38 and P08, sometimes MP 38/40 (better got MP 38/40 than nothing) and MG34/41/43… usual rotation of weapon in any wars…

Hmm… Canadians use they’s Ross M1907, Ross, rifle Mark II and Ross M1910, Ross, rifle, Mark III… that was a good gun, accurate and durable. And never exposed as result of bad design or fabric- related malfunction such as barrel spoilage…but… “The worst thing about the Ross system, however, was that its bolt could be eventually assembled in the wrong order, and in this case rifle could be assembled and then fired with the bolt not locked to the receiver - with disastrous results to both shooter and rifle.”
So, it was just problem of construction - ability to assembly bolt in wrong order and it will cause harm to shooter… just imagine what .303 cartrige exploded near to face can do. It’s usually can’t kill (hawe seen a lot of such accidents with hunters and soldiers), but can make shooter blind, at least can make shooter out of order for few weeks.
Is it not big deal with weapons - large quantity of soldiers harmed during they tried close don’t locked automatically bolt of AK - usually they kick bolt handle forward and AK fire by Ak’s construction feature, not each time, but fire sometimes… and usually they got mossle pointed right on face with butt on a ground… At least it was a broked foot’s bones, sometimes bullet wound.

The PPSch-41 (Pistolet Pulemjot Schpagina model of 1941 = Shpagin submachinegun) was one of major infantry weapons of the Soviet troops during the World war 2. Total number of PPSch’s manufactured during WW2 estimates to more than 6 millions. The gun became one of the symbols of the Great Patriotic War. Retired from Soviet Army service soon after the WW2, the PPSH was widely exported to some pro-Soviet countries arount the world, including Vietnam and many African countries.

The PPSch-41 was designed as a cheap and simple but effective war-time weapon. It featured simple blowback operated action, fired from open bolt. The striker was permanently fixed in the bolt face. PPSch-41 was a select-fire firearm, with fire selector switch located inside the triggerguard, ahead of trigger. The safety was integrated into the charging handle and locked the bolt in forward or rearward position. The receiver and the barrel shroud was made from stamped steel. The front part of the barrel shroud extends beyound the muzzle and acts as a muzzle brake / muzzle flip compensator. Early PPSch-41’s were issued with drum magazines with capacity of 71 round, similar to ones used in PPD-40.
Such high capacity increased the firepower but the magazines were too slow to refill and not too reliable, so in 1942 a curved box magazine was developed. This magazine held 35 rounds and was much more comfortable to carry in pouches. Early magazines were made from .5 mm sheet steel and were somewhat unreliable. Later magazines were made from 1 mm steel and were completely satisfactory.
Usually, infantrymen carry one drum in the gun and some box magazines in the pouches or pockets.

Early guns featured elevation-ajustable rear sights, later ones flip-type “L”-shaped rear sights marked for 100 and 200 meters range.

All PPSch-41s featured hardwood stocks.

The main advantage of the PPSch-41 was bigger effective range (when compared to both Allies and Axis submachineguns of that era). It also was accurate enough and reliable. The main drawbacks were: heavy weight, lenght (too big for trench combat or for mobile operations) and the fact that the gun was sometimes prone (especially when weared enough) to unintended fire when dropped.

Although the Ross Mk3 can be re-assembled wrong, you have to be a total idiot to do it.

The big problem with the Ross is that it has a straight-pull bolt, where the sleeve and the bolt head are connected via intermeshing helical grooves. When dirt gets into these grooves, the bolt becomes VERY difficult to operate, and after a while requires to be beaten open with a lump of wood or a boot. Look at the animation in Praetorian’s signature - that’s a Ross being fired & then beaten open.

The Ross was also a design born of the “Bisley” school of thought that an individual infatryman should be able to engage a point target (i.e. an enemy infantaryman) at 1000 yards. Thus, there are many features on the rifle that are more suited to target shooting (Ross was a long-range competition shooter, IIRC): the barrel is too long, the rifle is too heavy, and the sights are overly complicated with the battle sight set at to long a range. It is, indeed, extremely accurate. There are a few other peculiarities with the rifle as well: the charger guide is offset, so the clip is positioned at an angle, and is slightly tricky to push the rounds out of. The magazine is also a single-stack sheet metal affair which protrudes from the bottom of the stock and can get damaged.

The straight-pull action is extremely fast when it’s working, but when it jams, the rifle’s useless. Once this was discovered, the Canadians were re-armed with the SMLE as quickly as possible.

This is wrong. I´ve got a German spec deactivated PPsH 41 in my safe (it is still stripable and cockable). There is a sliding lever inside the trigger guard, just in front of the trigger (you can see it in the drawing on top of this thread). This lever controls automatic or single round fire.

Jan

Yes but Russians would somethimes throw away their PPsh for the more accurate MP40 SMG.
I’m guessing that the choice of the SMG is simply out of taste.

but yes, PPsh seems to be quite an efficient SMG while being quite cheap to build.

in medal of honour european assault, in the russian campaign, the ppsh was a most superb weapon… even if i went a little nuts screaming at the nazis as i gunned them down…I’m not crazy by the way… :lol:

Yeah right can you pck me up kalashnikov and an RPG 7. What a down to earth and ralistic plan. Im sure it will happen

T34’s quoting doesn’t work for me - am I the only one having this problem? Maybe putting spaces between the quote/unquote commands and the words either side might help.

Great topic and pics for a very intresting weapon-thanks!

The Pah-Pah-Pah-sha was the best SMG during World War II… Well says every book I’ve read about weapontry.

I dont think so … :wink:

I dont think so … :wink:[/quote]

You don’t know which books he’s read Clauss. :slight_smile:

I dont think so … :wink:[/quote]

You don’t know which books he’s read Clauss. :)[/quote]

Maybe :smiley: ,hmmmm which book said then the best ww2 smg is ppsh ,tell me a name maybe some soviets book. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Jane’s: “[The PPS-43 is] probably the best of the three wartime Soviet SMGs”

Smith & Smith SAOTW makes no comment.

In the ww2 game i play (Forgotten Hope/mod for BF1942)
we call the ppsh and the pps 43 “SPRAY AND PRAY” weapons.
Because they fire so fast and have such a huge magazine :lol:

It was, the PPSh was the best SMG, even American soliders who fired it when they met the Soviets around the Eastern-Western border of conquered Europe said the Thompson failed in comparrison. -History Channel, Military Channel, and books. Tell me one that was better? The gun was like an AK-47 today, easy to clean, barley ever jammed, great accuracy (at right range), tough ass weapon.

The PPS-43 was better.

Easier to clean
Lighter
Lower rate of fire
More compact
More reliable.
Cheaper to produce.
Stick magazine better than the drum.

The only complaint I have about the PPS-43 is that there is no proper lock on the butt of the shoulder stock.