Pre World War II Photos of the 11 FA at Hawaii

These are four scan of a LARGE POSTER from 1937 LISTING every officer and enlisted man from the 11 Field Artillery, Battery C.

11 F.A. on the move, then the Air Corps marching in review for General Drum and finally B-18s flying overhead for General Drum’s review.

11FAonthemove.jpg

Shirley Temple visited the 11 F.A. while filming in Hawaii. These are Shirley Temple on the base visiting the troops.

Fantastic pics! Do you want to upload them for the gallery on the main site so more people can see it and leave comments? Either way, thanks for sharing them. Sure makes me kinda wish I was alive back then…

Friends of my fathers from completing Basic and Training and their Sgt.Wiley Ray.

Several photos of the same large artillery piece. either a 6 or 8 inch used by the Coastal Artillery Units.

Largegunplacement.jpg

Largegunplacement2.jpg

Largegunplacement3.jpg

Largegunplacement4.jpg

This is pretty much the last of them.

One is the Inspection of Troops by Major General Drum
Two is my fathers friends and their names
Three is my father at the age of 18 and stationed in Hawaii.
(What a way to go for his first time away from home.)

InspectionbyGeneralDrum.jpg

PopFA11BatteryC1937.jpg

These pics are fantastic! Thanks for sharing them!

Does anyone know what kind of coastal gun this is?

My father loved his God, his country and his time in the service. I am new to your site and you all have been great.

You use the photos in anyway you feel is best so that your members can enjoy them. If there is anything I must do to help you let me know.

Please feel free to move them or post them in whatever why you think would be best. I will keep looking he may have some others I have not gotten to yet.

Thanks! How may I credit the source of these photos?

My father enlisted in the 11 Field Artillery in 1937. He was 18 years old and he stationed almost immediately in Hawaii. This is a guy who had never been more than a 100 miles from home in his life.

In 1940 he was discharged from the 11 F. A. and immediately signed up for the 11 Bombardment Group of the 7 TH Army Air Corp. He went from Schofield Barracks to Hickam Field, what a great move! On 12/7/1941 he was present for the Attack on Hickam by the Japanese and then he went into the Pacific in 1942 with the 11 BG the 42 Squadron. They were awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for their fight against greater numbers of Japanese.

He took all kinds of photos of everything and carefully mounted them all in photo albums carefully with those old corner tabs they used then

There is NO photographers’ name or anything else on the photos. So apparently their are Pops and now they are mine.

Please credit them to “Tech Sgt. Raymond A. Heilman, JR. USAAC”, he would be pleased to know that you all have enjoyed them.

Here a couple good photos although not strictly military it did happen at Wheeler Air Field in Hawaii.

This is Amelia Earhart. She stopped there for fuel on one of her earlier flights.

My father had this in his photo album as well.

This was too large to scan, but I got most of the important parts. It is an Offical Roster of the 11 Field Artillery Battery C 1937

These are photos of several of his friends, he has their names of the back.

This would have been the Graduation Dress for for the 11 F.A.

This book was published immediately after the Attack. I have included a poem by one of the surviors of the Attack by the Japanese that is in the inside cover.

For+Website.jpg

dontrun.jpg

PA Dutchman my grandfather served in the same area a year earlier! I wish his name and picture was in some of your stuff. I will get some of my stuff and try to post it on this same thread.

PA. Dutchman,
You mentioned a formal Dress Parade in 1937. After my father passed away, I found some old photos that I assumed were from his time in Hawaii - one is a photo of an 11th FA howitzer ( I believe). I am trying to find out when these photos were taken - do they look like the ones you have? My father travelled on the USAT Republic, through the Panama Canal and Angel Island and arrived Hawaii in Dec 1940. AT least one aircraft photo was dated 1 Mar 1941, but the others look like a parade - from vantage points he would not be able to reach - so I assume they are publicity photos of some event. Does anyone remember such a parade in early 1941? Sorry they’re B&W.

parade.jpg

Would the 4th picture be one of Mr Christie tank design ?
T-34 suspensions were based from similar design. The ressemblance is striking.

Not T-34 but probably BT-7