Raid On Dieppe

Here is a map of the Dieppe Raid. I had a great uncle who participated with Royal Canadian Regiment was captured, escaped and returned on d-day.

dieppe.jpg

I am reading “History of Warld War II” by Francis Miller, 1945. 970 pages volume with illustrations.

I found few interesting facts about the Dieppe attack in there.

1.Minutely exact replicas of the coast and the town of Dieppe was constructed for the men and their officerss to study until they knew the terrain as well as if they had spent their lives there”.

2. The airfield of Rouen and Abberville and their adjacent facilities were bombed: “From almost six miles in the air, bombers loosed their bombs with breath-taking accuracy on the German fighters ranked on the field.” So they could bomb precisely when wished! It could be relevant to the mass bombing of the German cities. :wink:

3.the first official word of the landing was carried back to Britain by a pigeon released by an officer with the first man to land. Eat the reason was sound, for complete radio silence had to be remained in the first hours.

By the way, is the wikipedia article on Dieppe any good and objective?

That’s about 36,000ft. Sounds like a fairly typical B-17 raid to me, with a bit of hyperbole about accuracy thrown in. If the target was correctly identified from the air (not common, particularly at long range - bombers were known frequently to hit the wrong country during WW2) then the B-17s could usually hit it, sort of.

Or even wrong continent. Watch an interested special on this. Now these guys were in a B-24. Anyhow read this if you never have

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_be_Good_(aircraft)

The plane crashed in 43 but wasnt discovered until 58 by British oil surveyors.
The program I watched stated they found one guy only 30 miles short of a town. After having walked over 120 miles I think. :shock:

Just goes to show that long distance navagation was almost as effective as throwing grass into the air. Sorry dont want to go to far off topic just thought this was interesting.

Wiki link is broken, but I think I know the case anyway. What happened is that they got lost and radioed in to a single direction finding station to get their bearing. If I understand correctly, with the technology of the time a DF station could only give a line through the station that the target was on. Fine if you get a cross-bearing from another source - the two lines will cross at a single point - but they only got a single bearing. Someone made the assumption that they were on one side of the station, when in fact they were very lost indeed already and were on the other side. Hence their flying the wrong way until their fuel ran out.

Can’t be bothered to look the details up now (I’ve got the book which references it lying around, but would have to read quite a while to find the details), but there are recorded cases of SAS troopers in the Western Desert during WW2 walking 200+ miles and surviving. These are exceptional cases, but all the same…!