Re-creating the Horten 229

The “truth” can also be a bunch of crap people are making up about German “wonder weapons” on the internetz. But:

1.) There was little really known about the Horten design. So no one can conclusively say anything about it, nor can flight controls of the highly computerized B-2 (which I hate BTW, I think it’s an over-hyped, massively expensive turkey and white elephant whose mission is obsolete and whose contributions to recent wars can be duplicated by other aircraft such as the B-1 or the B-52 far more cheaply). But the bottom line is the B-2 has no more in common with the Horten (which was a fighter BTW, and not the “Amerika Bomber”) design than it does the Northrop X216H.

2.) it was barely tested, and had mixed results with many accidents and probably a higher rate of accident than most other prototype aircraft.

3.) Fanbois run around the internet telling us about super-German wonder weapons that are often exaggerated, or at least based on a tantalizingly small body of evidence.

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/Horten_Nurflugels/horten_nurflugels.html

Nurfluegel- means flying wing airplane or glider [from ‘Nur Fluegel’ - (airplane) only with wing(s) no fins]

Verstanden doch!?

Well, if it’s on the interweb, it MUST BE true! :lol:

I recognised the commonalities between the Go229 Horten design and the B2 long before I ever became involved with computers, let alone the internet.

I have always said openly that the B2 had more in common with the Go229 than any prior Northrop designs. One of the major differences being that very many Northrop designs incorporated vertical control surfaces, things which the Horten brothers designed the Go229 without.

I’m no “wunderwaffe” fan boy, BUT: in the case of the B2 and Go229 the derivation is scathingly obvious, just as three decades earlier the derivation of the XF92/F102/F106 was plainly from the Lippisch DM1/P13.

Kind Regards, Uyraell.