Rifles and Handguns.

I’d still like to know where this was.

As your father’s unit was 3,000 men it was a USMC regiment or, in UK / Australian terms, a brigade.

The Marine division that figured in Admiral Nimitz’ plans for the Gilberts was organized according to the E series tables of organization adopted in April 1943. With an authorized strength of 19,965 officers and men, the division was constructed in a triangular fashion–three infantry regiments, each of which had three infantry battalions. This arrangement enabled the division commanding general to hold in reserve an entire regiment without impairing the ability of his command to attack or to remain on the defensive. A regimental commander could exercise this same option with his battalions, and the battalion commander with his rifle companies, as well as with a headquarters company and a weapons company. An infantry regiment was authorized a basic strength of 3,242, a battalion 953, and a rifle company 196.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/III/USMC-III-I-3.html

You’re talking about a rounded 100% death rate for that beach landing, wiping out a regiment. There isn’t even one Pacific beach landing with a rounded 100% casualty rate that I know of, at regimental level or even battalion or company level. I can’t even think of an island campaign that had an effective 100% casualty rate, let alone an effective 100% death rate, at those unit levels.

Tarawa probably had the worst USMC casualty rate in the initial beach assault, but I cannot find any reference to about 3000 dead on a beach in the first wave. Or, for that matter, in several waves. Tarawa casualties were in the thousands only if measured in days, not the first beach wave. And we’re still not talking about deaths.

If there was a USMC action with only 4 men left alive out of 3,000 in the beach assault it would probably be the USMC’s biggest event, and it would be remembered and comemmorated by the USMC. It isn’t.

I can’t find any reference to it, nor have I ever heard of it. So, where did this happen?

maybe he meant 300?

I have been told that 100 prototype receivers for the type 99 Arisaka rifle were made in the U.S. forged at the Ladish Co. in Cudahy, Wisconsin. I cannot verify this claim, but thought it interesting anyway. - Raspenau -

replying to his initial question, that there is ammo that is still available, and unfired brass, 139 Grain bullets and powder is still available for the rifles, but military ammo, as almost impossiable to come across, like military ammo for any caliber

Ammunition should still be available commercially,there were some makers that specialized in obsolete or difficult to obtain calibers.(Norma, Lapua, and some others) though it will be costly. also, there are alot of firearms dealers that offer reloading services, and they might make you some ammo if you are willing to pay for the die set needed to size, and complete the cartriges. you could also do it yourself with reloading equipment being not too expensive. As long as you reside in a place where there are no laws prohibiting the practice. Military ammo will be nearly impossible to find in any quantity, mostly just a few single rounds from collectors.

Here is a link for the ammo Hornady 7.7X58 JAP 150GR SP 20rd box $20.30
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?action=1001&brand=7.7JAP

Hornady 6.5X50 JAP 140GR SP 20RD $20.30 per 20rd box
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=AHRN80485

Norma Industries makes 7.7 ammo, but it is freeking expensive, about $1 a round, and it is hard to find on top of that.

I recently found a Type 38 in (I kid you not) my grandfather’s attic. It seems to be no better than an average example of the type though it was most probably brought back as a battlefield momento from the pacific.

It has been a lot of fun looking up the various markings and their meanings. It does have the emporer’s chrysanthemum marking above the ‘Type 38’ marking. It has serial number 33411 of series 26 and was built at the Nogoyo armoury sometime between 1923 and 1930.

All fun stuff and like I said a good time looking it all up and finding the information.

Then I noticed something that made a chill run up my spine.

On the right side of the receiver in the wood near the bolt there are 7 notches carved. They are poorly spaced and obviously carved by an unskilled hand.

Does anyone know if Japanese soldiers commonly ‘put a notch in their gun’ when they killed (or believe they killed) and enemy soldier?

A rare picture of a kamikaze with a spanish Beistegui Royal 7.65mm gun.

Hi.

I think it is more likely a late-war simplified Sugiura type 8mm pistol (basicly a Colt model 1903 rechambered for the Nambu 8 mm pistol ammunition). The form of the gun fits almost perfect but the safey trigger, which is placed on the left side, is missing.

To my opinion the picture is mirrored as the pilot is shown left-handed which is somewhat rare among military personel of that time. This would also explain the missing safety trigger.

click me
Early war (1942) Sugiura type pistol

If you are up to loading your own ammo, you can try R.C.B.S co. they make die sets for lots of difficult to obtain ammunition, and other die sets for making cases from other compatible(and easier to get) cases. They even make dies for my lahti.

I think it is more likely a late-war simplified Sugiura type 8mm pistol (basicly a Colt model 1903 rechambered for the Nambu 8 mm pistol ammunition). The form of the gun fits almost perfect but the safey trigger, which is placed on the left side, is missing.

Oh thanks, I tought it was a foreign pistol. I aiming identifing small arms is pretty bad lately.

Now other question emerges …why a kamikaze would need a pistol ? :lol:

If some Kamikaze gets captured, they would need to kill himself.

Here is a picture of the pressure testing version

The pilot may very well not have been a kamikaze pilot all his (short) life. Some of the pilots were quite experienced and had fought for years in the war. So that may have been his personal pistol he flew with for many a sortie.

Sad really. Blinded by his faith in the ‘emperor/god’.

Deaf

I wouldnt say “blinded”… More misused, by the Military…

You can get ammo for the arisaka type 99 and arisaka type 38 at cabelas.com. 7.7x58 is 23.99 a box, 6.5x50 is also 23.99 a box. It’s made by hornady.

hi guise!

You guys hear they found a bunch of automataic weapons, INCLUDING a Nambu Light and 50 mm knee mortar in Alabama?

Someone threw them in a ditch.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2009/04/its-raining-automatic-weapons-in.html

Sure would like to play with them! Oh, well the ATF will torch them now.

When did they find those weapons??