Russian industrial effort?

I think this “conversation” is pretty useless since the “soviet/russian” sources are so different from any other country on the planet - and also we are dealing with extremely complex issues.

And sorry for the “not clear” message.

But that is pretty theoretical number. :smiley:

I have seen in some studies that soviet citizen got 1500-1800 calories.

Some persons in Ghetto did work and survived with 186 calories.

German soldiers got 2200 calories per day in 1941 (when the situation was still very very good) and they marched whole day with very heavy packages. Later the calories were cut heavily, and still the soldiers could do their heavy jobs carrying machine guns etc.

Many soviet soldiers tell that when they were wounded, they badly needed to get back to the frontline from the hospitals because the frontline was the only place to get food.

And even many soldiers from elite soviet formations tell how they sometimes were 5 days without food supplies, and were told that after attacking and capturing german supply locations they would get food.

5.000.000.000 kg / 1460 days / 190.000.000 people = 22,8 gramm per person per day

Well, area germans captured had 40% of soviet population, so I think:

170.000.000 people (=Russian population according the 1.1.1939 census (1937 census had to canceled because 20-30 million soviet persons were mysteriously lost :-DD and some say the real number in 1939 was 140 million but I’m nice here and use 170 mil so you get 30 million extra)), minus those who died 23.000.000, minus those in sieged cities 3.000.000, minus lost population 68.000.000, minus old and useless who got only 200grams per day 20.000.000, minus relocated minorities which according to the official soviet documents often got only 340 grams per day 2.000.000 == ~54,000,000

“The Soviet Union has not produced enough foodstuffs to cover its own needs for a long time. The food supplies from the US to the Soviet Union are not enough to cover the shortages. As a result, civilian rations are far too small. Even favored industrial workers get less than two pounds of meat a month. In large cities, there is no milk, and butter is available only rarely. An English pilot, recently returned from the Soviet Union, told similar things to “Daily Express.” Among other things, he reported that the old and those to weak to work no longer receive meat or other essential foodstuffs. All they get is dried bread, about 200 grams a day.”

So,

I’m nice and counting full 1460 days.

And I’m not counting in all the minorities.

And I’m not counting all those soviet workers not getting proper rations (read some interviews people, most workers didn’t get too much food).

5.000.000.000kg / 1460 days / 54.000.000 == 63 grams per person.

I do not think that is anything to dismiss, for some people it was 30% of their food.

But, all this is getting pretty silly… And it would take too many hours to provide source for every number, and to find all the research done on the issue.

I’ll try to reply more if I have free time some day.

_

LOL

Because if you read history you will learn that trucks build in russia before WWII were primitive/early american models build with licence :smiley:

“Soviet trucks were copies of U.S. 1930-era designs and lacked the cross-country abilities of the modern vehicles given by the Americans.”
http://sturmvogel.orbat.com/SovWarProd.html

Because 1941-1942 Soviet Union had own locomotives left.

Read how soviet union concentrated troops during bad times: sometimes locomotives were used as one-time-products – it was horrible waste.

And since Soviet Union didn’t produce spare parts, it was very difficult to fix broken locomotives.

Well, excellent swedish summary of soviet economy is in:

Slaget om Kursk
by Anders Frankson and Niklas Zetterling
pages 92-113

We both have our, different, opinions on the issue :slight_smile:

I think all the countries in the history have and always will downplay to importance of outside help. For example Finland received a good reinforcements (in couple of sectors) from Germany in 1944, but it’s often downplayed.

_

My freind, I know people like you. That is why I almost exclusivly try to use western sources, which makes my job MUCH more difficult. And I also have to present it in a foreign language.

3000 kCal. But that is pretty theoretical number. :smiley:

The teoretical limit of a man in “room rest” condition - 2000 kcal. Light work - 2400 ckal. Hard work - 3000 ckal.

The German POW in USSR in August 1942 got 1750 kcal for not working and 1945 kcal for working people. You know what happened to many of them.

Whould such people be good fighterss or workers?

German soldiers got 2200 calories per day in 1941 (when the situation was still very very good) and they marched whole day with very heavy packages. Later the calories were cut heavily, and still the soldiers could do their heavy jobs carrying machine guns etc.

I really want to see where the info comes from.

Many soviet soldiers tell that when they were wounded, they badly needed to get back to the frontline from the hospitals because the frontline was the only place to get food.

That is right. Army had highest priority for the food supplies. Lemd-Lease went almost completely to the RKKA.

And even many soldiers from elite soviet formations tell how they sometimes were 5 days without food supplies, and were told that after attacking and capturing german supply locations they would get food.

Right. And this statement supposed to show how Lend-Lease was much more important than estimated by me? How?

170.000.000 people (=Russian population according the 1.1.1939 census (1937 census had to canceled because 20-30 million soviet persons were mysteriously lost :-DD and some say the real number in 1939 was 140 million but I’m nice here and use 170 mil so you get 30 million extra)), minus those who died 23.000.000, minus those in sieged cities 3.000.000, minus lost population 68.000.000, minus old and useless who got only 200grams per day 20.000.000, minus relocated minorities which according to the official soviet documents often got only 340 grams per day 2.000.000 == ~54,000,000

So,

I’m nice and counting full 1460 days.

And I’m not counting in all the minorities.

And I’m not counting all those soviet workers not getting proper rations (read some interviews people, most workers didn’t get too much food).

5.000.000.000kg / 1460 days / 54.000.000 == 63 grams per person.

I do not think that is anything to dismiss, for some people it was 30% of their food.

But, all this is getting pretty silly… And it would take too many hours to provide source for every number, and to find all the research done on the issue.

I’ll try to reply more if I have free time some day.

I do not have time to go through all your numbers (it is 01:00 and I want to sleep. Tomorrow I am on holliday for 9 days.).

Have you read my posts about the lend-lease distribution per year and per food type?

So according to you Russians can survive on less than 1000 kcal or less per day - what a super humans! And not just survive, but hard work and fight on land… during winter! Hehaayy!!! Thanks! It is a truly amasing compliment!

The population number per year is worse to look at again. I am not confident 100% how many poeple were left on the occupied terrioties.

But the start number is not 170 mil, it is about 185 mil.

The sieged sities. That would be Leningrad and what else? They also supplied food as much as it was possible from the main land.

Who are old and useless? Why did they get so little food? Source?

Your comment about the deported minorities is actually disproves your statement. According to you they could provide food for them self so we actually did not need lend-lease at all. Or maybe you want to say that they died by tousands and tousands of hunger?

Cheers!
Igor

1. They didn’t have a option to grow their own food - what civilians had.
  2. They worked harder and longer than soviet worker
  3. Those figures, as far as I understand, are counted from official records, and one must understand that several people took “their cut” from those rations.

Similar thing (no 3 above) happened when, even couple of years ago, you traveled to russia - you had to give bribes to 1-20 officials about everything. One of my friend bought a thing in Russia and paid all the official requirements, and of course on the border he had to give so much bribes that he eventually left the thing in Russia.

That’s why I’m not all that happy with soviet records: yes sometimes they shipped 1000kg of something to somewhere, but after all the corruption and bribes the percentage arriving was very small.

I would like to correct myself, and say that this is not any official number and should be ignored - this is what happens when you run business 12h/day and reply to complex forum-threads 3 clock at night :smiley:

But BMI in 1930s was much smaller than it is now. And during war years the BMI fell even more. This lead to reduced calorie-consumption for each soldier. Add to that the fact that German armies were supplied by trains, which had different track-width on the russia, and the german locomotives had a water pipe that broke during cold winters… all this caused situation were the official calorie-count per soldier on the eastern front was high, but in reality it was under the official guideline most of the time.

If there wasn’t enough food for soldiers, which had the highest priority, then how there could have been enough food for 100 million people who were not soldiers.

I do not have time to go through all your numbers (it is 01:00 and I want to sleep.).

I know! NO-ONE has time for this sort of a very complex conversation (because it requires reading 4000 pages of history to confirm all the numbers), but yet were trying to force it (and use poor internet sources and poor memory ;-D) :smiley:

Have you read my posts about the lend-lease distribution per year and per food type?

Yes.

So according to you Russians can survive on less than 1000 kcal or less per day - what a super humans!

People in ghetto did that with 200 calories.

And maybe that’s why soviet casualties were so high.

I am not confident 100% how many poeple were left on the occupied terrioties.

Agree, it’s very difficult subject to calculate.

But the start number is not 170 mil, it is about 185 mil.

==
1926 census shows the population of the Soviet Union at 147 million and in 1937 another census found a population of between 162 and 163 million. This was 14 million less than the projected population value and was suppressed as a “wrecker’s census” with the census takers severely punished. A census was taken again in 1939, but its published figure of 170 million has been generally attributed directly to the decision of Stalin
http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Joseph_Stalin

If Stalin had to decide the population was 170 mil, then surely he decided the number be larger than reality :smiley:

And I feel sorry for the poor census takers, because had they reached low numbers they would have been severely punished again :smiley:

Who are old and useless? Why did they get so little food? Source?

Comments made by westerners returning from WWII-era Soviet Union.

==
An English pilot, recently returned from the Soviet Union, told similar things to the English newspaper “Daily Express.” Among other things, he reported that the old and those to weak to work no longer receive meat or other essential foodstuffs.
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/rsi68.htm

Your comment about the deported minorities… Or maybe you want to say that they died by tousands and tousands of hunger?

===
…more than 3 million people were rounded up, for the most part along the Soviet Union’s western borders, strictly on the basis of their ‘foreign’ origins or culture, and dumped thousands of kilometers away in eastern and central Siberia or in the Central Asian republics.
+
Seven of the eight nationalities had been given their own (or shared) autonomous republics or regions by Lenin in the early 1920s. What Lenin gave, Stalin took away. By the end of WWII, all seven names had been wiped from the map.
+
Families were given as little as five or ten minutes to pack up their belongings and food for the trip. No food was supplied. Tens of thousands are believed to have died during journeys which lasted up to two months.
http://www.unhcr.org/publ/PUBL/3b5555124.html

and

==
Material conditions in the labor camps for the mobilized Russian-Germans proved to be deadly. They lacked warm clothing, blankets, shoes, bedding and sufficient food. Frostbite and exposure afflicted and even killed many men working outside during the winter. Malnutrition related maladies such as scurvy and pellagra became common due to a lack of protein and vitamins. Overpopulated, damp and unsanitary barracks led to epidemics of typhus, tuberculosis, dysentery and other diseases. These poor material conditions led to massive excess mortality. Between January and July 1942, the NKVD recorded the death of 17.6% of the mobilized Russian-Germans in Solikamsk and 12.6% in Bogoslav. Many of the men sent from Ukraine to the camps in the Urals in September 1941 never returned.
---- N.F. Bugai, ed., Mobilizovat’ nemtsev v rabochie kolonny…I. Stalin” : Sbornik dokumentov (1940-e gody) (Moscow: Gotika, 1998).
---- A.A. German and A.N. Kurochkin, Nemtsy SSSR v trudovoi armii (1941-1955) (Moscow: Gotika, 1998).
http://jpohl.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

_

Well if the “any other country on the planet” is not the Russia so i would not wonder if they has a different “versions” of the Russian history.
Indeed the any other country had no any reliable "russian sources’ and the figures that you could use as the “russian” are just the particular investigations some of western historians ( who in fact sometimes look toward this through the cold war propoganda prism) .

But that is pretty theoretical number. :smiley:

I would pretty much interesting to watch how could you survived with 186 calories per day and how much days ( or hours) you could work feeding this food :wink:

Who did tell you that the soviet wounded soldiers were not feeded in the hospitals?

I/m really have no any reason to deny the 170 millions of population of the USSR in the 1939. Plus the territories thet were joined to the USSR in 1939-40:Baltic states, Bessarabia, Western Ukraine and belorussia - about 12-14 mln = 185 mln of peoples.
The USSR lost the 40% of population at the momens of the Germans maximal success since summer 1942 (when they captured part of Kavkaz) till the winter of 1943 (when they were forced to retreat). Moreover the 23 mln of died - this was total figure AFTER the war i/e in 1945.

That is right.
Egorka only made of some simple average calculation that could be right in some of limits.His resault could be useful to wath the common view at the matter.
You tryed to critiized his resauls using a figures that you could not check indeed.

That’s right the soviet Gaz-AA was the licenzed Ford indeed.But you’ve written it was
“useless and old”.So you are wrong.
They were enough simple and cheap for the soviet army.
Certainly this could not be comaper with lend-lise Studebekker. But it was far from “useness”.

Because 1941-1942 Soviet Union had own locomotives left.

Read how soviet union concentrated troops during bad times: sometimes locomotives were used as one-time-products – it was horrible waste.

Bad times - it was the authumn-winter of 1941. when in the Eastern front was a crisis.
Moreover if the all soviet locomotives were used as the one-time-products ,it were finished already in the 1941.

And since Soviet Union didn’t produce spare parts, it was very difficult to fix broken locomotives.

The soviet plants were not prodused the spare parts ONLY coz the allies supplied it in full scale( in the 1943-45). But this is absolutly not means that if the USSR did not get the lend lise the soviet industry did not prodused the locomotives.
Sure in this way the soviet plants could not be concentrated on the war production.as much as they did.

Well, excellent swedish summary of soviet economy is in:

Slaget om Kursk
by Anders Frankson and Niklas Zetterling
pages 92-113

It seems your swedish summary used an “excellent” cold war materials that were the fully developed during in the former times in the west :wink:
Nevertheless we could consider it as the “one more” point about lend-lise for the comparoition with the other western sources.

I think all the countries in the history have and always will downplay to importance of outside help. For example Finland received a good reinforcements (in couple of sectors) from Germany in 1944, but it’s often downplayed.

Well did the germans reinforcements in 1944 saved the Finland from the defeat in the war?:wink:

Ive read some articles that suggest Russia has numerous neo-nazi groups and in fact has a greater number than anywhere else in the world. This is a bit off-topic but I was wondering what people thought of this? Are these people merely racist or actually pro-Hitler?

How do you imagine for yourself the average soviet worker from the city like Leningrad or Moscow could grow own food?

1. They worked harder and longer than soviet worker

As far as i’ve read they worked so many as the soviet workers - 12-14 hours per day.

1. Those figures, as far as I understand, are counted from official records, and one must understand that several people took “their cut” from those rations.

Similar thing (no 3 above) happened when, even couple of years ago, you traveled to russia - you had to give bribes to 1-20 officials about everything. One of my friend bought a thing in Russia and paid all the official requirements, and of course on the border he had to give so much bribes that he eventually left the thing in Russia.

That’s why I’m not all that happy with soviet records: yes sometimes they shipped 1000kg of something to somewhere, but after all the corruption and bribes the percentage arriving was very small.

Well here you are right about corruption but your conclusions are more than funny;)
you’ve recalled at me the other excellent example from my personal life:
When one my frend went into the Germany for the car. Driving back to the Russia he must be cross the Poland and Ukraine - where he was forced to pay a 200-300 Euro in the both states as the bribes in the custom-house.
So have we conclude that we have the problems with the polish records coz the corruption is in the poland.?:wink:

But BMI in 1930s was much smaller than it is now. And during war years the BMI fell even more. This lead to reduced calorie-consumption for each soldier. Add to that the fact that German armies were supplied by trains, which had different track-width on the russia, and the german locomotives had a water pipe that broke during cold winters… all this caused situation were the official calorie-count per soldier on the eastern front was high, but in reality it was under the official guideline most of the time.

As far as i know the BMI for the soldiers has even rised during the war.
For instance the allies soldiers were feeded better at the last period of war 1944-45 coz the germansy had not enought means to interrupt its supplues due to the lack of u-boats and aircrafts.
And the Soviet army as far as i know had increased its ration for the 1943-45 mostly due to more intensive lend lise ( exactly in this moments the lend lise playd the most imortant role) Moreover the liberated areas added its part of food into the own grow production of USSR.

I know! NO-ONE has time for this sort of a very complex conversation (because it requires reading 4000 pages of history to confirm all the numbers), but yet were trying to force it (and use poor internet sources and poor memory ;-D) :smiley:

agree , we are all not the professional historians …
but nevertheless we have enough the time to make the simple conclusions that could confirm/refuse the some of the popular cliches

So open the new thread about instead of the litter this one.

OFF-TOPIC:

I’ve seen a french document on tv recently, about the so-called “Slavic Union”, a extremely right-wing organisation in Russia. I think that there’s a huge problem over there with racists and neonazis. Especially with a scale of violence against foreigners.

Well, well… Where are we now? I am back from my holliday in northen Italy… give a bit of time to force my brain to work after all those EXCELLENT pizzas and litters of red wine and olive oil.

1. They actually had option of growing their own food. Plus there were dedicated programs in the POW camps in which the POWs would garther different natural food supplements: grasses, mashrooms and so on.
    Unfortunately it was not during the most difficult time for the Axis POWs - spring 1943 - summer 1943.

2. In average POW did NOT work either longer or harder than the soviet citizens. In fact many of them NEVER had to work. It firstly the officers. Secondly the sick and badly injured ones.

Alephh, you should try to read memoirs of the German POW taken in Stalingrad. Very interesting!

1. Yes, unfortunately, it is correct that surtain amount of the ration dedicated to Axis POW in USSR dispersed on the way, i.e. was stolen. Who stole it is an interesting question. If you do not know a lot of the personel in the prisoner camps was assigned from the POWs. This includes kitchen personel and the chiefs of the barraks. I have read several times that (said by the Gewrman POWs, not by russians) those people would be “unfair” to say the least! And I guess risonably large part of the stolen food settles in the hands of the Soviet personel too. As the result in the end of 1943 (after many deaths of POW) there was a campaign for tightening the control and law in the camps. According to the German POWs there was positive result.

What was the “thing”? An object of art that was not allowed for relocation from the country?

Yes, corruption is a big problem in Russia.

I would like to correct myself, and say that this is not any official number and should be ignored - this is what happens when you run business 12h/day and reply to complex forum-threads 3 clock at night :smiley:

Right. I would even quote you, Alephh, in here: “That’s why I’m not all that happy with … records: yes sometimes they shipped 1000kg of something to somewhere, but after all the corruption and bribes the percentage arriving was very small.” Right? :mrgreen: But I will ignore it as you say.

If there wasn’t enough food for soldiers, which had the highest priority, then how there could have been enough food for 100 million people who were not soldiers.

Alephh, you do not get it. Remember, that Lend-Lease food went almost 100% to the Army. And it was a great help indeed! The shortages of food in the army was not due to lack of food as such, but due to sporadic nature of the delivery under the enemy fire. The more dynamic and hash the situation on the front the more irregular the food supply.

Comments made by westerners returning from WWII-era Soviet Union.

An English pilot, recently returned from the Soviet Union, told similar things to the English newspaper “Daily Express.” Among other things, he reported that the old and those to weak to work no longer receive meat or other essential foodstuffs.
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/rsi68.htm

It is a very nice source you got there! :wink:
It is not clear what place and period this “English pilot” mentioned in this Speaker Education Material for The Nazi Party’s speakers. So I can not comment specificly on “All they get is dried bread, about 200 grams a day.” I guess it was possible in sertain places and sertain times. F.ex. in blockeded Leningrad.

If your point is that the ration for different categories of people (workers in defence industry, office workers, children, sick people) was diffirent, I can fetch some data. From a western source, you like that do not you? :wink:

===
…more than 3 million people were rounded up, for the most part along the Soviet Union’s western borders, strictly on the basis of their ‘foreign’ origins or culture, and dumped thousands of kilometers away in eastern and central Siberia or in the Central Asian republics.
+
Seven of the eight nationalities had been given their own (or shared) autonomous republics or regions by Lenin in the early 1920s. What Lenin gave, Stalin took away. By the end of WWII, all seven names had been wiped from the map.
+
Families were given as little as five or ten minutes to pack up their belongings and food for the trip. No food was supplied. Tens of thousands are believed to have died during journeys which lasted up to two months.
http://www.unhcr.org/publ/PUBL/3b5555124.html

The deportations in the 1940s in USSR is a big subject. We touched it a bit in one of the threads about deportation of Polish sitizens in December 1939 - June 1941. Most of the common knowledge that is floating around media (and peoples heads) is a gross exhageration as it has been proven during last 10 years or so. It is especially true with respect to the deportation of Polish sitizens. Again I basing my stetement on a POLISH source. Ahhh… the sweetness of non russian sources! How great is that! :wink:

Anyway, the deportations… this was a wery dramatic and brutal experience for those people affected. I think it needs a separate thread. I just want to say that the number of deported people that died was not so high and it could not affect the result of my calculation. But the underestimation of the number of people left on occupied territories could indeed make some difference.

Hello!

I have got some mre detailed info on the number of the Soviet sitizens that was settled on the occupied terriotries. Here is the scan of a page from the book “The Soviet economy in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945” (Народное хозяйство СССР в Великой Отечественной войне 1941-1945 (Госкомстат). М., 1990.)

It appears that I underestimated the numeber of people cought in the occupation. This lead to the understating the number of poeple left in unoccupied zone of USSR. So here is the correction to my post #39.

[b][u]CORRECTED[/u][/b]
                             days    metric    %     exstra food per
                              in    tonnage  food    person per day,
                            [u]period[/u]  [u]  send[/u]   [u]stuff[/u]   [u]gramm  ([b]*[/b])      [/u]
1.  [b]22/06/1941   30/09/1941[/b]   98      [b]3134[/b]     [b]2[/b]       0.2
2.  [b]01/10/1941   30/06/1942[/b]  359    [b]298936[/b]    [b]22[/b]       7.5
3.  [b]01/07/1942   30/06/1943[/b]  359    [b]977827[/b]    [b]33[/b]      23.9
4.  [b]01/07/1943   30/06/1944[/b]  359   [b]1700105[/b]    [b]30[/b]      34.1
5.  [b]01/07/1944   12/05/1945[/b]  311   [b]1134226[/b]    [b]21[/b]      21.0
6.  [b]13/05/1945   02/09/1945[/b]  109    [b]253037[/b]    [b]17[/b]      13.2
7.  [b]03/09/1945   20/09/1945[/b]   17   [u][b]   7707[/b][/u]  [u][b]  20[/b][/u]       2.6
                          [b] total:  4374972    25[/b]                   

([b]*[/b]) - the population older than 1 year is taken to be:

population    population
[u]period[/u]  [u]  to feed  [/u]    [u] occupied [/u]
  1.	133 000 000    50 000 000
  2.	111 150 000    73 000 000
  3.	114 000 000    65 000 000
  4.	138 700 000    39 000 000
  5.	173 850 000     2 000 000
  6.    175 750 000             0
  7.	175 750 000             0

If you compare the results before and after, you will see that they do not differ much. The first half of the war has been risen and the end of the war has got lower values.

It is interesting to note that the hardest time from the food supply in USSR was the end 1942 till beginning 1944. This period coinsides with two happenings. The first one was that about 25 - 30 million people were liberated and therfore had to be fed. And the second one was that there was no harvest avaialble from those liberated areas. As the result more people and less food.
It is during this time the food got the highest priority in the Lend-Lease supply (see periods 4 and 5 in the table).