Semiautomatic & Assault rifles.

1. the FN 49 works on a completely different principle, conventional gas piston with a tipping block. The G41 has an annular piston around the barrel and two locking flaps, the locking being the same in principle as the Russian DP 28.

2. The annular gas piston around the barrel is NOT the same as the Bang system. In the former, the muzzle trap directs muzzle gases backwards around the barrel which act on an annular piston. This piston moves the operating rod which acts on the bolt carrier. The bang system is different: the muzzle trap itself is mobile, and the muzzle gases cause it to move forwards. This pulls on an operating rod, which is connected to a lever. One end of this lever hits the bolt carrier backwards when the other end of the lever is pulled forwards by the muzzle trap.

Interestingly, Vollmer’s design for an assault rifle from the 1930s uses the bang system, and fired a 7.something intermediate cartridge developed by Geco from an open bolt.

1. The annular gas piston around the barrel is NOT the same as the Bang system. In the former, the muzzle trap directs muzzle gases backwards around the barrel which act on an annular piston. This piston moves the operating rod which acts on the bolt carrier. The bang system is different: the muzzle trap itself is mobile, and the muzzle gases cause it to move forwards. This pulls on an operating rod, which is connected to a lever. One end of this lever hits the bolt carrier backwards when the other end of the lever is pulled forwards by the muzzle trap.

Then Is more complicated than I tough. :roll:

yeh they paid money but it didnt compensate :evil:lost a chinese made SKS which was a fun weapon to shoot, as well as an M1 Carbine :cry:

Germans are good engineers but they LOVE to complicate things engineering for the sake of engineering

yeh they paid money but it didnt compensate :evil:lost a chinese made SKS which was a fun weapon to shoot, as well as an M1 Carbine

Well…that sucks.

Germans are good engineers but they LOVE to complicate things engineering for the sake of engineering

Certainly sometimes was in that way.

G-41 Mauser.

I have a problem with a gov’t that feels it is more important than the people that make up the country. i would always be suspect of a gov’t that would do such a horrible thing to its people.I hope there comes a day when those people are put out of office, and replaced with people who understand freedom, and that only free people own the weapons of their choosing, not because they are permitted, but because they will fight for their freedom.There is no contempt deep enough to describe such a Gov’t.

Quote: "Germans are good engineers but they LOVE to complicate things engineering for the sake of engineering "

The rule of thumb for German engineering is, “if 2 parts are good, 5 parts are better”

The rule of thumb for German engineering is, “if 2 parts are good, 5 parts are better”

:wink:

“Karabiner” G-43 used in german sniper training camp.

http://www.wochenschau-archiv.de/kontrollklfenster.php?&PHPSESSID=&dmguid=08E92C0055BA58DF030103009D21A8C00D0A000000&inf=354920&outf=456880&funktion=play250k

Here in Germany (at least where i come from), there is still a very common saying: ‘Lieber mehr als weniger - wegnehmen kann man ja immernoch etwas.’, which has pretty much the meaning like ‘Bigger is better’ - translated: ‘More is better than less - you can still take things away later’

But thank god, the majority of engineers think other ways today ^^

Very fine pictures and informations! Keep it going please! :smiley:

Oh Geez,thats a great one. I’ll send that to my brothers the engineers. They’ll love it… Thanks.

G-41 Walther.

See amendments

More images of the G-41 here:http://www.gewehr43.com/battle.html

Parting from this page, there are massive informations and pictures about the StG44 - also the ‘shoot around the corner’-Adapts (forgot the name - the Israelians developped some guns which do that nowadays)
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73139&page=58

Also a MkB43 with integrated Barrel-Grenade-Launcher
Click

Nice, It look the same as the K98K grenade launcher.

The designation was later changed to StG 44 = Sturmgewehr = storm or assault rifle. It was the first gun to be so called, and led directly to the term “assault rifle” being widely adopted for this type of weapon.

Not at all the reason for the name change from MKb.42 (Automatic carbine) to MP.43/1 (Automatic pistol) is well known: politics! Hitler didn’t approve of the project so to keep it going they convinced Speer to let them finish the guns that were in production and issue them on a limited basis as submachine guns.

However the Armies goal of replacing the Kar98k with the new automatic carbine never changed and it wasn’t until production was well underway that Hitler finally recognised the superority of the new gun that the designation was changed (coinciding with the name change from G.43 to K.43) to StG.44 to reflect it was an entirely new weapon which would re-define how the German infantry squad was formed.

Of course there were never enough MP.43 / 44 / StG.44’s or ammo for them produced to realise this.

FG-42 automatic rifle.

In the strange world of Nazi Germany internal strife and rivalry flourished (was even fostered), and in no sphere was this internal feuding more rife than between the German army and the Luftwaffe. By 1942 the Luftwaffe were encroaching on the preserves of the army to an alarming extent for no other reason than petty wrangling, and whenthe army decided to adopt a selfloading rifle the Luftwaffe decided that it too had to have such a weapon. Instead of following the path followed by the army with its adoption of the kurz round, the Lufwaffe decided instead toretain the standard 7.92-mm (0.312-in)rifle cartridge and asked Rheinmetall to design a weapon to arm the Luftwaffe parachute troops, the Fallschirmjäger.Rheinmetall accordingly designed and produced one of the more remarkable small-arms designs of World War
II.

This was the 7.92-mm (0.312-in) Fallschirmjägergewehr42 or FG 42, a weapon that somehow managed to compress the action required to produce automatic fire into a volume little larger than that of a conventional bolt action. The FG 42 was certainly an eye-catching weapon, for the first examples had a sloping pistol grip, an oddly-shaped plastic butt and a prominent bipod on the forestock, To cap it all there was a large muzzle attachment and provision for mounting a spike bayonet. The ammunition feedwas from a side-mounted box maga-zine on the left, and the mechanism
was gas-operated.

All in all the FG 42 was a complex weapon, but was notinnovative as it wasan amalgam ofseveral existing systems.Needless to say the Luftwaffe took to the FG 42 avidly and asked for more. They did not get them, for it soon transpired that the novelties of the FG 42 had to be paid for in a very complexmanufacturing process that consumedan inordinate amount of time and production facilities.

Second Model:

Thus supply was slow and erratic, and in an attempt to
speed production some simplifications were added. A simpler wooden butt was introduced and the pistol grip was replaced by a more orthodox component.The bipod was moved forward tothe muzzle and other short-cuts were introduced.
It was to no avail, for by the time the war ended only about 7,000 had been made. But it was after the war that the FG 42 made its biggest mark, for many of its design features were incorporated into later designs.

Perhaps the most important of these was the gas-operated mechanism which could fire from a closed bolt position for single-shot fire and from an open bolt for automatic fire, all compressed into a relatively small space.

One thing that was not copied was theside-mounted magazine. This provedto be less than a success in action for not only did it snag on clothing or otheritems but it tended to unbalance the weapon when fired. The FG 42 was a highly advanced design for its day and it incorporatedmany of the features now used on many modern assault rifles. Typical of these was the use of a ‘straight line’ layout from butt to muzzle and the gas operated mechanism already mentioned.

FG42

Calibre: 7.92 mm
Length: 940 mm
Length of barrel: 502 mm
Weight: 4.53 kg
Muzzle velocity: 761 m/s (2,500 ft)
Magazine: 20-round box
Cyclic rate of fire: 750-800 rpm

Source: Enciclopedya Weapons WW2

The problem with the FG 42 is that it was too light to be controllable in automatic fire, given the power of the cartridge. I have fired one (semi-auto only) and, believe me, it kicks!

I believe you :rolleyes: its projectile is not called “heavy pointed bullet” in vain.

I know the sloped pistol grip was supposed to help the paratroopers fire while on their way down.

Call of Duty 3 actually simulates the kick of the FG quite well. In the game, it only fires in fully-automatic mode, so it is impossible to keep the rifle steady; only 3 shot bursts are recommended if you want to keep your shots on your mark.

There was also a scoped variant of the FG-42, which appears in the game as well. I do know the FG would’ve been switched to semi mode in real life because an automatic weapon would be pretty useless as a sniper’s weapon, especially if it has the FG’s level of recoil.